Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not too happy with my new 6" avid mechanicals. The back one is working fine, but the front one is so-so. My old tektro V's could at least let me stoppie, the avid front brake cant stop me without help from the rear brake. Ive adjusted the slack and the rotor position between the pads, cleaned then with isopropyl rubbing alcohol, and done everything i can. The closest bike mechanic that i trust is an hour drive away, and i would like to fix it myself anyway. Can anyone give me tips or at least tell me why its not working?

·
Registered
150 Posts
avid discs

Have you ridden them long enough to break them in? Before I broke mine in my V brakes felt stronger, but once they broke in, those suckers will stop on a dime & make change!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Brake Pads

Make sure that the outer pad is actually pushing the rotor over to the inner pad. If that looks good, switch the pads front and rear just in case the pads are the problem. I can tell you that my avids will allow for a stoppie. When I got mine 1 1/2 years ago they had a bad batch of pads and I had all sorts of trouble with the front, but the back was fine. They sent me a new set of pads, and I had a hard time getting them seated, that I switched the front and rear pads, because I had a had time getting them worn in. LOL

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ive ridden them for a total of 10 or 15 miles at least since setting them up. I haven't called avid yet but im thinking about it. I doubt its the pads because i borrowed my friend's broken in pads off his hayes and it works the same. Anyone have avid's number?

·
Unshaven Yak
503 Posts
This is gonna sound lame, but hose some water on the disc & caliper. Water has instantly brought some lame working new pads to life for me. Just used this trick on a friends brand new Avids after I was about to give up hope, suddenly...oh there's your power.

The brake will howl until it dries out, but the water does something to allow the pad & disc to bed in together.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
ajw8899 said:
ive ridden them for a total of 10 or 15 miles at least since setting them up. I haven't called avid yet but im thinking about it. I doubt its the pads because i borrowed my friend's broken in pads off his hayes and it works the same. Anyone have avid's number?
I doubt if they are bedded in yet. A new setup may take 30-60 miles to reach full power. Trying a different brand/compound pad will not make a difference at this point because you would need to bed in the new pads and rotor, too. Part of the process is a layer of the pad material is laid down on/in the rotor.

Make sure the inner pad is adjusted as close as possible to the rotor without rubbing and adjust the outer pad to get the feel you want. You may need to run the pads a bit tight, with a bit of rub, until they break in and you may need to adjust them several times during the first few rides. You may need to realign the caliper, too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.