Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all new to the boards here, and need some info on going from a 8 to a 9 speed
I have a schwin homegrown race edition hardtail that I love but the drivetrain is wearin out I have a newer 9 speed xt cassett, chain and derailure/shifter. Can I throw this on with my current 8 speed crankset and derailure?
thanks for the help!

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
zrock said:
hey all new to the boards here, and need some info on going from a 8 to a 9 speed
I have a schwin homegrown race edition hardtail that I love but the drivetrain is wearin out I have a newer 9 speed xt cassett, chain and derailure/shifter. Can I throw this on with my current 8 speed crankset and derailure?
thanks for the help!
Shimano recommends against running a 9 speed chain on 8 speed chainrings, but I and others here have done it successfully. If you're not sure, throw that 9 speed chain on your current drivetrain and give it a spin, paying particular attention to front shifting. Problem seems to be that the 8 speed shift ramps are a bit lower profile than on 9 speed rings, on account of the wider 8 speed chain. Some here have mentioned they've seen 9 speed chains wedge between 8 speed rings, but I never experienced that problem during the time I ran that combo.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.