Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have been a lurker here for a while and now want to get into road riding. I currently have an opportunity to get a Bronco 26er with fat tires for 125$ looks brand new and wanted to know if that would be good stock to get started. I will not be doing any trails or anything on the bike but want something to bike on the road and help with my weight loss journey.

I started at 459lbs a month ago and have been on keto and dropped to 425. I am starting to introduce weightlifting back into my routine but find walking/running still hurts.

Any advice on a very budget bike that if I break it I’m ok would be helpful.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That would be great to get you started. The best bike for you is the one that you'll ride often.

Looks like it's a steel frame bike from Costco, not the best quality but I think if you want to get into the habit of riding it would be fine for bike paths and paved roads. The big tires will feel a little slow on pavement though. Add pressure in the tires if it looks like they're deforming too much.

Good for you dropping over 30 lbs in a month! That's impressive. Keep it up and riding gets a lot easier and more enjoyable. I was riding my mountain bike at 315 lbs when I started losing weight. I had to upgrade a few parts (wheels and brakes) but it was doable at that weight. The Bronco would be good for weight loss then when you get down around 3 bills and want to get into mountain biking or road biking you could shop around for a suitable bike. Keep it up and feel free to send me a PM anytime with questions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply. I appreciate the input, I figured it might be a good starter bike and would ride ok. Not he wheels that makes sense beings they are so big. Also thank you for the pm availability I might have to reach out to you.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
If you decide to spend a bit more, a used Surly Ogre would be an excellent road rig with the right tires and wheels. What size bike do you need? How tall are you?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Fat bikes are just a fad. Fat bikes are used for riding on beaches, on sand, in snow, in mud. Better to go with a regular mountain bicycle or road bicycle.
A bicycle that you will ride is the bicycle to buy. One that is already tuned will be perfect.
I have noticed with the way the economy is these days, that some bicycle stores are selling used bicycles. Could be a great option for you if the price is right. Otherwise look on the online classifieds for a decent, brand name bicycle like Specialized, Rocky Mountain, Giant, Trek and so on. Do not buy a bicycle shaped object from any department store as they are worthless!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.