Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 6'2 230#. I want a all around trail bike that climbs, descends, plush and alot of fun. I currently own a 2004 ellsworth Truth and love it.

I am really confused.

·
Arf, he said.
273 Posts
Your confusion will be cleared up about 2 minutes after settling into the cockpit of a properly sized 5-spot. :D Seriously, the 5-spot was designed to do exactly what you described that you want from a bike. Go for it.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Think of a bike's recommended application in terms of frame weight, which essentially begets durability. Your Truth is the lightest at about 6.5# (or something). It is an XC frame. The 5-Spot (with a Romic Coil) is about 7.3# and is a "trailbike". The Moment is an 8.3# (or something) heavy duty trail/light freeride bike. The Moment could most closely be compared to Turner's discontinued RFX model. The Ells most analagous to the Spot in terms of application and frame weight (but not geometry!) would be the Id.

Think about the worst you are going to dish out, and shop according to those needs. Tell us in detail about your riding style, what parts you use and which of those you break, and what you want to do with your new rig, and we can make more informed suggestions.

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
I agree, consider what you'll be doing.

I owned an RFX, but sold it to a very grateful friend. I got a Moment as a replacement.

The Moment has bearings instead of bushings. Bushings may actually be an advantage in very wet climates as grease can be pumped in to purge out dirt. They take a little while to break in, though. I rode my RFX hard for several years and never needed to replace them.

A large Moment would probably be OK for a 6'3" rider. 5-spots have 2 larger than "large" sizes, so try to swing a leg over both bikes to check sizing.

The Moment is now available with the Fox DHX 5.0 shock, which I feel will be more reliable than the Romic. I hear the Romics work great when they work, but you almost need to have a spare shock (or a spare bike).

The Moment's travel is 6 inches with a coil over, 5 inches with an air shock. The 5-spot has 5 inches. If you're keeping your Truth, you would probably want 6 inches so the bikes won't be too similar. If you want one all-around trail bike, 5 may be better.

My Moment looks incredibly sturdy, but it doesn't have a track record yet. The 5-spot has held up well under some pretty heavy (no offense) riders.

To confuse you further, it sounds like Turner may be releasing 6 inch travel bike next year.

I don't think you could go wrong with either bike. Good luck.

·
mad aussie
1,129 Posts
although the travel difference between the 'spot and the Truth isnt that great, the geometry difference is quite pronounced. In that respect the 'spot is closer to the moment ie. slacker head angle, the seat tube is pretty steep on the Turner and that may or may not suit you depending on your preferred riding position.
Having said that, if you already own one Ellsworth and plan on keeping the Truth, I am a great believer in keeping the same brand line going. Those anodized Moment frames are really great looking bikes!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Usage

I do alot of rocks and 3 ft drops in the east coast. I do not like the ID. The bike sits to high. I'm looking for a lower center of gravity. A good play bike to compliment the Truth.
Thanks

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
BubbaTime said:
I do alot of rocks and 3 ft drops in the east coast. I do not like the ID. The bike sits to high. I'm looking for a lower center of gravity. A good play bike to compliment the Truth.
Thanks
I would have thought the moment would have been a wise choice if you are intending to keep the truth. Throw a Maverick DUC up front and ride to your hearts content.

I'll be lynched for saying it, but I'd see the 5 spot as being a burlier Truth with an extra inch, for all day rides, or short fast trail rides where the Truth is more an endurance Racer type bike. The moment is a burlier 5 spot with an inch more travel. If I were you, since I already own a 2004 Truth, I would go a Moment as I would think despite the slight difference between the Spot and Truth build to be too close.

Best thing to do, is ride both bikes and go from there.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Buy Turner!

I have owned a Truth (it broke), then an ID, (sold it when I saw the Moment coming out) and I bought and am currently riding the 5er. Based on my experience with Ells, I would never buy another product from them. My experience with Turner is sterling and I can count on getting accurate information from them, an up to date web site, and articles that aren't edited, etc, etc.... Remember, your not only are you buying a bike, but you're also buying into the company and its support, so keep that in mind too.
I've never noticed the 1" difference in the 5er, matter of fact it feels like it has more than the Id had. And the lower center of gravity is better for my style and riding environment. It handles fast and goobles up the hard stuff too. It's design is proven and has been around for years. The frame is less expensive. Turner asks us on this board for our opinions and keeps us informed!
Simple...
Buy the Turner........ :D
SB

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
either one is a great bike

BubbaTime said:
I'm 6'2 230#. I want a all around trail bike that climbs, descends, plush and alot of fun. I currently own a 2004 ellsworth Truth and love it.

I am really confused.
You cannot go wrong, as simple as that. Do you want a bit more travel? go with the Moment.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
BubbaTime said:

I am really confused.
I hear AMAZING things about the Moment - from a guy who lives with one of the Team Honda Turner guys (so he's ridden pretty much all the Turners) - that said, what I've heard of Ell's customer service would probably keep me away

everyone who owns a 5 Spot loves it, so you really couldn't go wrong there (although it may be very close to your Truth in terms of travel etc.) - If you are keeping the Truth, why not wait a little longer & get the Turner 6 Pack? - It'll be similar to the moment, yet with that Turner reliability and customer service backing it up...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts