Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new set of SLX brakes-the front caliper pads float with a cotter pin running through them. If i engage the front brakes and rock the bike back and forth it makes a really annoying click-click-click noise, and even more annoying is that is will make this same clicking sound when i engage the front brakes when riding.

The rears don't make a peep.

I've tried to bend the cotter pin ends to take up any slack, but thats no help. Any suggestions?

·
Kick Start My Heart
584 Posts
Just a shred of help, but you can replace the cotter pin with a bolt. I think I pulled the number from the Shimano tech-docs for an XT caliper or here on MTBR.
The bolt threads in (SLX caliper has threads) and a clip on the wheel side. I will see if I can dig up part# and vendor.
Oh, it quieted mine down.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
A God Without A Name
1,326 Posts
I just installed my SLX today and ordered those pins before I got the brakes. Universal gave me the best deal on them.

Universal Cycles -- Shimano Disc Brake Caliper Parts

you want the bolts for the XT M785.

I was considering riding with the pins for a while, but once I pulled the brakes out of the box. I decided to start with the best.

I also ordered the free stroke adjustment screws for the XT as well, as they also thread right in. a whole 12 dollars. But I had to order them from some tiny german outfit.

being that the XT and SLX brakes are mechanically identical, minus the bolts and reservoir covers, I'm tempted to just order the covers too.

good luck to you.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agwan,

Thanks for the tip! I was getting a little frustrated because I couldn't find an online source w/ parts in stock.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts