Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
17,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Vth Annual All Comers Meat (this year's theme = Show Us Your V) will happen on Saturday, January 24, 2009 near the quaint village of Lorane (~30 minutes south of Eugene). The Venue is Whypass, the clandestine singletrack stash of the legendary Disciples of Dirt.

EVERYONE IS WELCOME.

All Comer's Meat is a FUN RIDE, not a race. The Whypass network has been expanded to ~20 miles of homegrown, mountain bike specific singletrack, with plenty of climbing and descending and lots of mud. Bring fenders! Riders will be able to hook up with various ride groups offering paces from hammer pilot to stoner, so don't be concerned if you've recently added another layer of insulation to the ol' meat jacket. This event is about meating other riders, whoopin' & hollerin' through the forest and enjoying the mid-ride snack stop, where you'll even find BEVERAGE. I think you know what I'm talkin' about. In other words -- FUN. No puffing up & posturing allowed. Well, maybe some puffin'... I dunno. Anyway...

Previous ACM events have drawn as many as 85 fun-loving bozos & bozettes. So far nobody has failed to have fun. Any that do will be flogged mercilessly.

Post-ride BEVERAGE and GRUB! After the ride, stay for chips & salsa, chili dogs and misc. snacks around the bonfire. Eric & Hank had such a good time feeding everybody last year they've decided to do it again. Tip jar'll be there for you generous types. Thank you very much.

We'll meat in the T-bar-C Country Cafe parking lot at 9:45am, then caravan from there to the trailhead (drivers will be blindfolded so they won't later be able to reveal the exact whereabouts of Whypass). The T-bar-C Country Cafe is closed but the parking lot is still open so it makes a good place to meat. The cafe is on Territorial Hwy about 1/2 mile north of the town of Lorane.

Directions from north or south: Take I-5, exit Creswell. Go west through downtown Creswell on Oregon Avenue (Oregon Ave. eventually becomes Hamm Rd.) Continue on Hamm Rd. until it T-bones into Territorial Rd., about 13-15 miles. Turn left (south) onto Territorial and proceed another 3-5 miles to the T-bar-C Country Cafe which will be on your right, immediately past the entrance to King Estate Winery.

The green line from Creswell traces the directions above. You can get the turn-by-turn directions for the other route through Cottage Grove if you use MapQuest for directions from Creswell to Lorane.

We'll leave the cafe parking lot bound for the Whypass trailhead at 10:03am, so get to the cafe early. Take note, that's "10:03," not "10:30." C'mon, y'all. It's fun.

Past events:
ACM 2005
ACM 2006
ACM 2007
ACM 2008

--Sparty

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
Snake Muesl said:
Bummer.
I've been looking forward to attending this year, but previous plans for a 3-day ski trip into Waldo Lake will preclude my presence.
Please provide photos to prove your absence was excusable.:D

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Can't wait to MEAT you all again. Especially you Sparty. Should be a great meating.

Enjoy your Waldo trip, Charlie. Truly an acceptable excuse.

·
I got nothin'
739 Posts
SS Gearing

Sparty,

What tooth count for the rear cog would you recommend for a relative SS noob? I am running a 32 tooth chainring, 26er wheels, 175mm cranks, and lycra pants. Looking forward to getting muddy. :D

·
Making fat cool since '71
1,840 Posts
I'm not sparty, hate spandex and am fat, but funny and have good hygiene, OK, I'm funny, and local to WhipeAss. Anyway, 8 months of the year I run 34X20 on my SS, winter it's usually 34X22. I just, today, put my 20 back on. We'll see if it's still on after this weekend's ride...

Brock...

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
17,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hydrogeek said:
Sparty,

What tooth count for the rear cog would you recommend for a relative SS noob? I am running a 32 tooth chainring, 26er wheels, 175mm cranks, and lycra pants. Looking forward to getting muddy. :D
I run a 36x24 on my 29er which is a 43.5" gear. A 32x19 on a 26" wheel will yield a 43.8" gear, pretty close. But any gear within a couple inches higher or lower should be fine. If pressed, I'd recommend going lower as opposed to higher.

Unless you're stronger than I am, which is extremely likely.

--Sparty

·
Registered
19 Posts
Way to go DOD. The ACM is on my weekend off for the first time in 5 years. Cant wait to sling mud with the Very best of you.

A few weeks ago I was chating with a old timer form Lorane and he told me of how the Whypass area got its name. Back in the day there was an old coot named "_________", He had some property in the area. The BLM wanted to purchase the area form him and he set to high of an asking price. So the BLM just built the raod around his land and the road became known as "_________" bypass.

Names have been left out to protect the serenity of the DOD's top secret trail network.

Why and how did it get the now famous name of "Whypass"?

mud brother.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
17,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Whypass rhymes with bypass

Plus it can be spelled or pronounced "Wipe ass." An important consideration for juvenile minded group of mountain bikers.

--Sparty

mud brother said:
Way to go DOD. The ACM is on my weekend off for the first time in 5 years. Cant wait to sling mud with the Very best of you.

A few weeks ago I was chating with a old timer form Lorane and he told me of how the Whypass area got its name. Back in the day there was an old coot named "_________", He had some property in the area. The BLM wanted to purchase the area form him and he set to high of an asking price. So the BLM just built the raod around his land and the road became known as "_________" bypass.

Names have been left out to protect the serenity of the DOD's top secret trail network.

Why and how did it get the now famous name of "Whypass"?

mud brother.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Sasquatch said:
This is also a good description of the trail conditions at Whypass around this time of year :D
Nodoubtaboutit. Last night after the ride, I took the hose to my tights before I even put them in the washer. Even so, I looked in the washer mid-cycle, and the water was disgustingly brown. (And, yes, it was mud, not poop....I think....)

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
I would not go taller than 32x19. I've run 34x22 there on my 29"er a couple of times, and it's just about right for me (I'm a little heavier than "HWP" and not the strongest climber, but well within the normal bell curve of this group, if that helps). Any lower would be overkill (underkill?) but still just fine.

I ran 34x20 (comparable to 32x17 on a 26"er) there once, and it kicked my wipe-needing ass. It was doable for me, but it did diminish the fun. And fun is why we meat in January.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I'm just a girl with a bike...

who still can't figure out how to ride said bike over a curb, let alone down the sheer face of a mountain. Is this event for such newbies? Or will I just be laughed at (which I am absolutely okay with, by the way!)? Truth be told, I just want to learn how to ride my bike down the sheer face of a mountain, but don't know how or where to start. Although upon reflection, a curb WOULD be a great place to start... :eek:

Also, is this whole Meat Thing just for boys? I've looked at pictures from the last year, and there's no girls in the pictures!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Representing SW Washington

Since Bob can't make it, my wife and I will be representing the Cowlitz County area. We were thinking of camping on Saturday night and getting in a ride on Sunday. Are there any good camping spots that are not underwater?

Also, I will second the question from the previous post about girls on the ride.

Thirdly, what can we bring to contribute to the festivities?

Paul and Melanie

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
Drmn2Cllge said:
who still can't figure out how to ride said bike over a curb, let alone down the sheer face of a mountain. Is this event for such newbies? Or will I just be laughed at (which I am absolutely okay with, by the way!)? Truth be told, I just want to learn how to ride my bike down the sheer face of a mountain, but don't know how or where to start. Although upon reflection, a curb WOULD be a great place to start... :eek:

Also, is this whole Meat Thing just for boys? I've looked at pictures from the last year, and there's no girls in the pictures!!

Thanks!
Ladies are always welcome, they just don't tend to show up. It may be the mud and stuff, or it could be the dirty jokes. Either way, if you have a sense of humor, and you want to get into Mountain biking, you are welcome to join us.

Realistically, the trails will be very muddy, and the riding will be tough. Climbing thru mud is a hard workout, and descending in mud is basically a slowed down free fall, so a beginner may not enjoy the riding much. That said, there will be a slow group for you to join, and even if you can barely ride, it's a great chance to meet other people who like to ride bikes, and to learn some of the trails. You can probably even find some people who like to ride slow and help beginners get comfortable on the trails.

You can definitely expect to be laughed at, but not neccesarrily due to your bike handling skills, or lack thereof. We love to laugh at ourselves and each other, so come out and have fun with us! You won't regret it.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.