Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Totally, and to the max.
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Riders, knock on wood. This years proves to be an early year to access the High Sierras for fun and recreation. In light of this good fortune, the idea was spread around amongst some of the most colorful of MTBR regulars to host a gathering. But not just any gathering. An open embrace of a gathering, reaching far and wide to our neighboring states, inviting them to our mountain bike mecca we call Downieville, for a weekend celebration of sierra singletrack and suds, provided by the finest brewers in the West! So prepare yourself for a weekend of riding and revelry that will set the standard for what should become a phenomenal riding season!

Join us between June 8-10 at the Packer Lake Campgrounds for the Western States Downieville Summer Kickoff, sample fine microbrews and enjoy discounted shuttles, courtesy of Yuba Expeditions. There will be high-speed shuttle runs as well as guided epic XC adventures for the most hardcore of riders out there.

As all gatherings go, this will be a self-supported event. Come prepared. But don't think we won't have any tricks up our sleeves. There will be enough events along the way to make sure you have a lasting story to tell. As many of us knows, Downieville never disappoints!

We invite both the newbie and the seasoned industry veteren to join us in this all-inclusive summer event. As soon as the snow melts, the riding will begin. Let's kick it off together!

For up-to-the-date information on this event please access the official blog at:
http://forums.mtbr.com/blog.php?do=showjournal&j=156

We'll discuss all the dirty details here including ridesharing, shuttle reservations, camping details, sponsors, raffles and anything else you may want to know!

Happy trails,

K-max

Attachments

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Downieville and BEER?!! Can it really be??? Oh, I'm ssoooooo there!

·
******ed or Branded??
2,095 Posts
where exactly is this place? Very intrested to gather with the rest of the folks there!! :p

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Downieville is about an hour NE of Auborn, CA. Auborn is about an hour NE of Sacramento. It's pretty much in the middle of no where. D-Ville is also home to the 17mile downhill! Yeah, seriously 17 miles of downhill bliss!!!

·
Totally, and to the max.
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My bad. I forget that not everyone knows of Downieville.

Downieville is situated on the convergence of the Downie River and North Fork of the Yuba River. The following maps will give you a good sense of the location of both the town, the terrain and the lake we'll camp at. It's a funky little goldrush town and is surrounded by steep mountains and dense forest. It's really a beautiful area of California, and since its very rugged, it's great for riding and of course, PARTYING! Woot! Sierra City is another town that sits within the trail system as well, but we call the whole area Downieville just for simplicity. One great feature in Sierra City is the Sierra Buttes, a massive outcrop of granite that towers over the neighboring mountains at 8700+'. It's easily visible from town, and Packer Lake.

Here's what IMBA says about one of the many trails we'll be riding in Downieville.

www.imba.com/epics/downieville_ca.html

Attachments

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
Andy aka Rut said:
Downieville is about an hour NE of Auborn, CA. Auborn is about an hour NE of Sacramento. It's pretty much in the middle of no where. D-Ville is also home to the 17mile downhill! Yeah, seriously 17 miles of downhill bliss!!!
Hmmm... Andy, I was ready to bite. Thought maybe I could convince a couple MTBRers from AZ to load up with me and drive to Downieville. Then I read the long thread in the Nocal board and came to the part about Mosquitos and Cold. About how it's either going to be so cold that there's still snow on the ground and we are all freezing at night, or if all is thawed then it's going to be a mosquito party. As I recall, it's a 12+ hour drive to Downieville from Phx and is well worth it, under the right conditions. Not sure I'm willing to chance the bugfest. But you all have fun and take lots of pictures!

·
Registered
165 Posts
DurtGurl said:
Hmmm... Andy, I was ready to bite. Thought maybe I could convince a couple MTBRers from AZ to load up with me and drive to Downieville. Then I read the long thread in the Nocal board and came to the part about Mosquitos and Cold. About how it's either going to be so cold that there's still snow on the ground and we are all freezing at night, or if all is thawed then it's going to be a mosquito party. As I recall, it's a 12+ hour drive to Downieville from Phx and is well worth it, under the right conditions. Not sure I'm willing to chance the bugfest. But you all have fun and take lots of pictures!
I can get the time off if you want to hit it up chica. In fact i think my civic can make it there on about 2-3 tanks of gas. Shoot me a pm if you have anymore info about a crew wanting to go cause i can fit 3 + me :thumbsup:

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
DurtGurl said:
Aw! You're not going? I am. :-(

(If you change your mind, drop me a line!)

p.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I've been talking a lot with the local bike shop-Yuba Expeditions. Even though the topic has been brought up amongst others, its our opinion the weather will be splendid! Is there a possibility there will be mosquito's or snow? Sure there is, but the locals don't think it will happen and neither do I. Isn't it always something like that every time you travel??? Hawaii-rain and excessive heat, oh, and sharks. Mexico-bad water and policia..... If I let it ruin my trip, it's my own fault. You guys have it tough out there too. Rattlesnakes and gella monsters.... ew ick!!!
The event is a month away and the snow is supposed to be gone in a week or two. It will be cold enough at night that they will stay away. If the weather is perfect, :rolleyes: the wind will not be blowing at all. I'm guessing we will have at least a little wind and that will keep the skeeters away too. I think it will all be good.

Come on DurtGurl....don't be a FuddyDuddy! Join the fun. You know you want to go!!

·
Bionicon Rider
215 Posts
BIONICON is bringing Demos

Bionicon Backcountry Mountainbikes is on board to come hang out for the weekend and set up free demos for anyone who is interested in checking out the best and only On-the-Fly adjustable geometry bike.

Downieville is one of the best places in the world to experience the advantages our bikes have to offer. Variable geometry for variable trails, no compromise on the climbs or descents all with the push of our magic little button. See for yourself how easy it is to use and well it really works.

Check out Photo Johns MTBR Pro review on our Golden Willow for some third party insight, and search the forums for more comments about the bikes.

See you there and I can't wait to ride some awesome trails with you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts