Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a fairly new mountain biker... sorta slow but love it. My "home park" is Annadel and ride it every chance I get. I'm thinking about going to Moab in April during spring break. Have any of you guys been there? Can a reasonably noob slow poke like me find fun trails to ride or are they all double black diamond? Any recommendations... places to go... trails to ride... places to stay... tours... things to avoid... weather??? Oh and hard tail 29er or full suspension?

Posting here first since you guys know what I'm used to here in the Bay area. Thanks!!!

~ Jack

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
You'll have a great time and get some great photos, but it won't be anything like Annadel. If you don't like lots and lots of rock and sand you might reconsider, but most enjoy it. I've been there many times and I still enjoy it. Some suggestions for you: the Slickrock trail loops, Gemini Bridges (maybe as a shuttle to make it easier), Amasa Back, Sovereign Trail, and Porcupine Rim (again, use the shuttle to make it easier, you might walk some if you're a beginner, but it grows on you).

ps Fruita/Grand Junction is a relatively short drive from there, and well worth a visit, too. Spring break time can be real busy with other spring breakers and many 4x4s (especially rallies/jamborees of 4x4s, avoid those if you can). Camping and motels can get tough at that time. If on the real cheap stay at the Lazy Lizard.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You'll love it

I used to live in CO and made the trip a couple times. It's like nothing I'd ever ridden. The landscape feels like you're on the moon and riding on the slick rock is an amazing feeling. There are places all over to camp. If that's not your thing there are a number of hotels/motels in town. Moab has one main drag so it's easy to find stuff, but lodging can book up quick during popular times of the year like spring break. Trails to ride:

Slickrock trail is a must for every visitor at least once.
Sovereign Trail is rocky and sandy...very cool trail
Porcupine Rim is by far the craziest downhill I've experienced. You are just going down forever (I think something like 12 miles). There are plenty of places I stepped off, but the views and trail are a must ride (take the shuttle to the top).

There are tons of trails, but these made for a pretty good first trip over a long weekend. I would agree with Bikinfoolferlife that Fruita is well worth the trip. There is some amazing single track there and it's not far from Moab. Have fun.
Ryan

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Rock is conducive to full suspension for my old body...haven't tried a 29er (well except for the 700c wheels on my road bike).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.