Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today (1/20) I had a great ride at Annadel with several new people, and some old friends I haven't seen in many months. Sorry I can't remember all the new names, someone please fill me in. The weather was great and the trails were in the best winter condition I've ever seen. Mostly dry and fast except for a few sections that have experienced several freeze/thaw cycles, and were a bit muddy. I'm not a big fan of going down Lawndale because it's usually a bit slick and too smooth for my meager skills. However, today it was bone dry and quite fast. We started out on the usual slowpoke 25 miler and a few peeled off at the Marsh/Ridge intersection, a few more left us and went all the way down North Burma, VTT and Mroh left at the Rough Go/Cobblestone intersection, and GuruAtma and Presslab joined me for a ride to the bottom of that great, rocky Rough Go.

My legs felt pretty slow and tired much of the way but every time we did some fast downhill the adrenalin seemed to revive them. I felt I needed to build some capillaries and confidence for the upcoming July Tahoe "Extreme Punisher" ride, so at the bottom of Rough Go I went back up into the park for about two more hours and at least another 1,000 ft. of climbing. I climbed up Canyon and Marsh, up and then down South Burma and upper North Burma, across that aptly described (by GuruAtma) "annoying" Live Oak again, then across Rough Go, and then down Cobblestone for a total of about 37 miles.

We met CrazyAndy and his Team Hamana in the parking lot. And the highlight of the trip was meeting Badass Bob, who at 72, is only the second mtbr rider I've met that is older than me. He has had a total knee replacement, which I'll need two of in the not too distant future, and he gave me some great information on the procedure and recovery. I told him my doctor said that would be the end of my biking and Bob said "get a new doctor".

As far as I know there were only two falls. I stalled right at the top of that steep rocky climb at the bottom of South Burma, unclipped, but I did a backward summersault down the trail. On Lawndale I came up on Mroh's bike in the middle of the trail, with him sitting beside it shaking his head. I guess he went down pretty hard. But after a few minutes he seemed to recover. I snapped my chain within sight of the Beer Bench on South Burma but Presslab fixed it in seconds with a quick link. Thanks, I owe you! Great day and great ride folks! And thanks for waiting for me. Below are a few photos, I'll have a few more on my site soon.

For Mroh, Canon SD800IS, and here is the route: out Channel Drive, up Warren Richardson and South Burma, out Marsh and down Lawndale, up Lawndale Rd., Schultz and Ridge, up and then down South Burma, down upper North Burma, across "annoying" Live Oak and Rough Go, then down Cobblestone. That's about 25 miles and 3,400 ft. of climbing. Map and elevation profile on my site.

Top of Lawndale

Halfway down Lawndale

GuruAtma on Lawndale

Washedup bottom of Lawndale

Chad, bottom of Lawndale

Climbing Schultz

GuruAtma hoping to get VTT falling in the water

Blurry GuruAtma on South Burma

Blurry Chad on South Burma

Who is that in the back?

Mini Mae, VTT, Badass Bob on North Burma

Washedup, Chad on North Burma

Mroh on North Burma

VTT on North Burma

GuruAtma, Presslab, VTT, Mroh on Rough Go

Presslab on Rough Go

GuruAtma on Rough Go

Presslab on Rough Go

·
Registered
58 Posts
Nice pictures

Nice pictures Wherewolf! It looks like you guys had a great day. I will have to make the long drive up there one of these days, Annadel looks like a great place to ride.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wow!

Couldn't have asked for better February terrain and the temps were fine. Lawndale was a blast. Maybe I enjoyed it a little too much :D

Steve,
Thanks for the pics and the route info. I'm looking for a new point-n-shoot. The 800IS is on the top of my list.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Thanks everyone for a great ride, the weather was beautiful, it was nice meeting and riding with new people and riding with the ones I already know.
Chad, your jump was impressive.
Beautiful pictures, Steve, good riding with you again...
"Badass Bob", my helmet off to you. You are an inspiration for all of us :thumbsup:

·
Formerly dvo
2,456 Posts
i was out there yesterday riding solo. big thanks to the guy on the cannondale ss who clued me in on some of the unnamed trails in the park. nobody on those trails except me and the turkeys....

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
steve, great shots and writeup as always. i skied yesterday, and we went to ski this morning and the top of the mountain was closed due to high winds...that's skiing for you!!

were you using your old stumpy--what's up with your new one??

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Evil spirits

cohenfive said:
were you using your old stumpy--what's up with your new one??
Last week at Ord it was making some weird noises. Took it in and they said the rear hub bearings were shot. It's nice to have two of essentially the same bike. However, the Fox fork, Magura brakes, and brain shock make the new one a whole lot better to ride. I still prefer the ergonomics of the dual brake/shifters. But the SRAM shifters are a lot crisper. No more Saturday riding for you until you return from Safari?

You missed a great one, both weather and trail wise. Near perfect. Bill is getting way too good to ride with us anymore.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Wherewolf said:
Last week at Ord it was making some weird noises. Took it in and they said the rear hub bearings were shot. It's nice to have two of essentially the same bike. However, the Fox fork, Magura brakes, and brain shock make the new one a whole lot better to ride. I still prefer the ergonomics of the dual brake/shifters. But the SRAM shifters are a lot crisper. No more Saturday riding for you until you return from Safari?

You missed a great one, both weather and trail wise. Near perfect. Bill is getting way too good to ride with us anymore.
it's great to have a backup bike as i've found out!! as for rides, i'll know in the next couple of days whether i can ride next saturday, then i leave for tanzania on feb 2...

·
Master of None
1,462 Posts
GuruAtma said:
Here's the GPS info (my hannukah present)

I forgot to turn off the gps at the end of the ride, so it includes the trip to Lepe's Taqueria.
That's cool, that mtbguru site is neat. My ride was about 39 mi but that included my trip from home and back.

How was your GPS reception? A few times my reception was spotty and my tracklog had some glitches in it. It might have been better if it were in my backpack like yours was. The handlebar mount is nice to look at it though.

I read they might come out with an eTrex with SIRF-III this year. I may have to upgrade if it's not too expensive.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
presslab said:
That's cool, that mtbguru site is neat. My ride was about 39 mi but that included my trip from home and back.

How was your GPS reception? A few times my reception was spotty and my tracklog had some glitches in it. It might have been better if it were in my backpack like yours was. The handlebar mount is nice to look at it though.

I read they might come out with an eTrex with SIRF-III this year. I may have to upgrade if it's not too expensive.
I heard my gps beep a couple times, which probably meant it lost reception, but the tracklog seemed fine, so maybe it re-aquired quickly.

I was thinking of getting a handlebar mount for the gps as I'll be riding in some unknown territory in wyoming. How would that mount make reception worse?

·
Master of None
1,462 Posts
GuruAtma said:
I heard my gps beep a couple times, which probably meant it lost reception, but the tracklog seemed fine, so maybe it re-aquired quickly.

I was thinking of getting a handlebar mount for the gps as I'll be riding in some unknown territory in wyoming. How would that mount make reception worse?
Well I'm just guessing, but there is a lot of metal there, maybe more shielded by your body, also in a horizontal vs vertical position..

At one spot in my tracklog there was a glitch where it showed me to have moved over 500 feet in one direction and then back. There were a couple more glitches but not as bad. I guess I don't mind dropped data points but incorrect data points are annoying. However I don't remember my GPS ever beeping. Weird.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.