Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Annadel Long A$$ Loop 2/17

Rescheduled for 9 am, Feb. 17!

This is a chance to get in those important February riding miles by completing the Annadel Long A$$ Loop Saturday, 2/17. It's about 45 miles. We do the usual slowpoke route, but then go all the way down Rough Go, up Canyon, Marsh and Ridge, down Schultz, up Lawndale and then back via South and North Burmas. You could also add a few more miles by going down Cobblestone. There are many options to bail along the way, but once we go down Schultz we are committed.

The starting time will be 9 am to ensure we have plenty of time. Baycat and VTT are already in. Those of you faster than me (all of you) will get breaks, but I'll keep moving most of the time. I've done it twice recently and the first time it was fine while the second time was fairly difficult.

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Forced to announce early

GuruAtma said:
Wow, planning ahead... I'll be there, but I probably won't do all 500 miles.
I was planning on waiting until after the Ft. Ord ride on Saturday to announce but a couple people asked me about riding on the 10th. Besides, you people with lives always seem to need a lot of notice. There is no guarantee I'll complete the whole 45 miles. But I have a big ride coming up the end of the month to prepare for.

·
Registered
7 Posts
New guy here and I'm considering joining you.

I've been doing 14 mi loops in Annadel since the new year (starting at Channel Drive parking, up Richardson, attempting to go up Two Quarry but never making it, Marsh to Ridge, down Marsh when they re-connect, then down Rough-Go and Cobblestone). It usually takes me about 3.5 to 4 hours for this loop.

I know you guys have been doing this loop about once a month since I starting reading the forum. What's the pace of this group? How many hours to do the loop suggested? Is it really 45 miles? It seems like it should be less.

I'm not a fast climber, but enjoy going quickly down the technical stuff on Rough-Go and Cobblestone.

-Bob

·
Coors, the american beer.
3,533 Posts
DOWN shultz and UP lawndale?

ouch ... have fun

i just had to order a new rear der today so i can carry a backup at palm canyon since mine is about to go out according to the lbs here.

see you in the desert.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Our normal loop is closer to 25 miles. Mr. Wherewolf wants to go really far, so many of the trails get ridden twice in opposite directions. I probably won't last 45 miles, and I imagine there will be others who peel off early. There are lots of easy bail-out points.

We don't ride that fast, and are happy to wait for slower riders. Feel free to join us.

forestplay said:

I've been doing 14 mi loops in Annadel since the new year (starting at Channel Drive parking, up Richardson, attempting to go up Two Quarry but never making it, Marsh to Ridge, down Marsh when they re-connect, then down Rough-Go and Cobblestone). It usually takes me about 3.5 to 4 hours for this loop.

I know you guys have been doing this loop about once a month since I starting reading the forum. What's the pace of this group? How many hours to do the loop suggested? Is it really 45 miles? It seems like it should be less.

I'm not a fast climber, but enjoy going quickly down the technical stuff on Rough-Go and Cobblestone.

-Bob

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For comparison

For comparison purposes, I am the slowest of the group and the usual 25 miler takes about 4 - 4 1/2 hours. So it has to be faster than what you've been doing. The only way I keep up with the faster riders is to keep moving when they take a break. I've done the 45 miler twice, in 7 1/2 to 8 hours. If we attempt the 45 miler we, or at least I, have to keep moving with few to no breaks. So at least for me this can not be a social ride.

GuruAtma, please keep us informed about the trail conditions since rain may be coming later in the week. If it is sloppy then 45 miles might not be a great idea since it would be difficult and take a lot longer.
Edit: you posted while I was composing. If doing the 45 miler we will have to keep moving if we want to finish before dark. The last ride I did the last half hour in the dark. Best to bring some sort of headband type light. I always carry one.

Melt, we go down Schultz and up Lawndale several hours after going down Lawndale, up Schultz, and out Rough Go. Lawndale is not as difficult a climb as you would think. Except for that rocky section at the top it is easier than climbing Schultz I think. However, on this ride we have would have already done well over 30 miles before going back up Lawndale. I gotta do miles to get ready for Palm Springs.

·
Registered
411 Posts
forestplay said:

-Bob
For the last ride we did in Annadel, my odometer showed 3 hours 40 mn of riding for 25 miles. As Steve mentioned it, it takes 4 to 4 1/2 hours if you stopped once a while.

·
Registered
411 Posts
sonicsuby said:
When you guys do these 45 milers, what kind of food do you bring along? For 45 miles you must have more than a gel shot, right?
I will bring 4-5 Cliff bars, a peanut butter jam sandwich, maybe some Fig Newtons (correct name ?) cookies, and 1/2 gatorade 1/2 water in the 100 oz camel bag.

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not much

sonicsuby said:
When you guys do these 45 milers, what kind of food do you bring along? For 45 miles you must have more than a gel shot, right?
I never eat solid food on any ride. It takes too long to digest and get in your system anyway. And valuable blood is going to your stomach. I'll have 3 - 4 or so gels, a bottle of Cytomax, plus some water. On this ride I'll probably bring an extra bag of Cytomax and mix one more bottle on the trail for insurance. Electrolytes are more critical on long rides so you don't cramp. We all have plenty of stored energy and if you don't force your body to use it, it won't.

·
Premium Member
8,633 Posts
Wherewolf said:
I never eat solid food on any ride. It takes too long to digest and get in your system anyway....
yah...but you're not quite human there Wherewolf ;)

Personally for those super loooong days I pack a real lunch...ya know - PB&J, fig newtons, BBQ chips...you don't get the boost immediately, but it comes in handy a couple hours later...and trust me....you will want a sandwhich, chips, newtons...clif shots get really blech after a while

I also keep up to speed during the enduro rides with gels, cytomax, clif bars...etc.. every hour or so.

Also - Payday candy bars are mucho better than those Power Bars....and this may sound frightening...but I like a toasted bagel with peanut butter and Bacon sandwhich....they're yummy :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
So should I just do a cytomax mix in my camelbak (have a m.u.l.e) or do water in the camelbak and bring a bottle with a cytomax or gatorade mix? sorry for the noob questions, just hate bonking/being dehydrated and haven't done 40 miles off road yet :eek:

·
Premium Member
8,633 Posts
Don't change the way your regularly hydrate yourself....if you're used to Cytomax in the MULE, fill her up...if you haven't really done that before - don't. Bring an extra water bottle with Cytomax (and some extra powder in case you feel like mixing more up during the ride - from your MULE).

40 miles off road is a bugger - but totally doable. If..let's say....you've only done somethin' like 10 dirt miles in the hills...you are WAY over your head.....but...let's say you've done like 20-25 hilly dirt miles...this would probably be a good challenge for ya...and Wherewolf is a great ride leader (even though he is grumpy ;) )

Couple rules that'll keep you from bonking
1. Drink before you're thirsty
2. Eat before you're hungry

sounds stoopid....but it's true. :cool:

Side Note - if the weather holds I may join y'all if that's OK :D

sonicsuby said:
So should I just do a cytomax mix in my camelbak (have a m.u.l.e) or do water in the camelbak and bring a bottle with a cytomax or gatorade mix? sorry for the noob questions, just hate bonking/being dehydrated and haven't done 40 miles off road yet :eek:

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Cool thanks. We usually do 18 mile loops up in Auburn (like connector -> FHDL -> connector) and I always still feel very strong at the end of the ride. We usually only ride two hours or so because we all have family commitments, so > 18 gets to be a problem. This week, however, I'm free of those types of constraints, so I think I'll come out, and if I'm just flailing after a certain point, I'll head back to the car and home.

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Sonic you will enjoy this ride, I have never attempted this much mileage at Annadel, should be a fun attempt.

Nick dished out some great advice. Done super long rides, like upwards of 50 miles it was mostly fireroad, so this will be a challenge for me too. Even more so pushing my fat bike around.For this ride, usually 80 oz of water, one water bottle of Powerade mix, a few gels, cliff bars just in case and a PB&J sandwhich. Although that Bacon one sounds good!

Pace should be slow and steady, I have to remember that once we are done with the normal loop. Gotta double back!

Just need some sort of light now just in case. Hate to kill myself on Cobblestone or one of the Burmas.

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What?

CHUM said:
...and Wherewolf is a great ride leader (even though he is grumpy)
What? How can I be a ride leader from the back :D
I only get grumpy when people sit around and BS too much when I want to get moving. But I've always made it clear I'm there for the ride, not the social experience. And nobody need wait for me.

I have certain time "milestones" in my head for the 45 mile ride and unless I stick to them I'll be finishing in the dark. So be forewarned. And the ride gets considerably tougher at the bottom of Rough Go, which is only the half way point. That's where my tortoise pace starts to pay off. I suggest the new people bring my map and take off on their own should I be too "fast" or perhaps even too slow. Last time I had a really difficult time so who knows, maybe I will be the one who has to bail early.

I think the most beneficial thing to do before a long ride is to be properly hydrated (with electrolytes) well before starting. I always drink a bottle of Cytomax on the drive to the trailhead.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.