Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
This guy is an absolute MORON, and is the lowest form of scum on earth. He's the puss that forms in new york city sewer systems when rats extcrement.

People like this fairy just make me want to take a piece of lead-pipe to his teeth. Sue this, sue that. This country is fricken RIDICULOUS! People who sue are DUMB and just want money.

DEAL WITH YOUR CHOICES PEOPLE & DONT PAWN IT OFF ON SOMEONE ELSE BECAUSE YOUR DUMBER THAN A BOX OF ROCKS!!!

God I HATE this country !!! :(

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
here's one for you lawyers.

how hard would it be to make a law that makes everyone responisble for there own actions....

you chose to do it, you automatically accept the responisbilties and hazards involved.

sounds so simple i am sure it would be UTTERLY impossible.

i hope this guy lives to be old, miserable, and alone.... BASTARD

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
many years ago, I broke my arm while test riding a Mtn bike. I walked into the bike shop with my own helmet and then did some stupid stuff in the parking lot.

the scary part forr me is that more than one person approached me with " I know a lawyer that could get you $30-40K for that injury..."

Scary and pathetic. Why would I want to punish the LBS, and maybe even put them out of business becuase of an error I made? It's not like the bike was assembled incorrectly. Even my 9 year old told me I did a stupid move.

Formica

·
Banned
2,227 Posts
formica said:
many years ago, I broke my arm while test riding a Mtn bike. I walked into the bike shop with my own helmet and then did some stupid stuff in the parking lot.

the scary part forr me is that more than one person approached me with " I know a lawyer that could get you $30-40K for that injury..."
My neighbor's kid was at the Tech Museum in San Jose waiting for his Mother to come out of the bathroom. He was goofing around and fell of the bench and broke his arm.

The Director of the museum has made numerous followup calls offering ffree tickets for all of their friends, apologizing profusely, etc., etc. Apparently that's SOP in this day and age since so many idiots sue over those kinds of things.

For the simplistic folks who think that "lawyers suck," it would be interesting to see how your opinion changes when you need a good attorney.

·
och aye
42 Posts
A local update - Tuesday

GuruAtma said:
I got a call from a lawyer representing the State of California because a mountain biker is suing Annadel State Park. Apparantly he was riding down Spring Creek trail about a year ago when they were preparing to do trail maintainance. At the end of the trail where it merges with Canyon trail, was a pile of gravel. His contention is that he couldn't see the gravel, or didn't know he could ride around it, and went over it, crashed, and got hurt.
It is with great disappointment and concern I’ve been watching this thread evolve. I am a MTB’r local to Annadel and frequent the park trails regularly, since 2000.
Tonight (Tuesday) I decided to have a look at the “incident site” and was astonished to find a film crew setting up presumably to attempt to reconstruct the scene. The good news is that I believe this was the case for the defence. I had the opportunity to speak to a very nice Park Ranger at the trailhead. They appeared very professional and very organised. I’m sure the defence lawyer will be one of the good guys! (I wish posters would stick to the point!)
In my opinion the reconstruction was very generous ie the mound that had been deposited was close to 4ft tall and placed fairly centrally to the trail exit, though still avoidable. I cannot recall the mound being so significant, nor in that exact position. Lets hope this preparation will get this case dismissed as quickly as possible. Mountain biking is an “assumed risk” sport!

The scene triggered a few questions though:
If the “rider” couldn’t see the mound what would have happened, and who would be being sued, if the huge mound was a horse & rider round the corner?
Did the “rider” not see the mound on the way up the trail?

One other thing that struck me was that there was a bicycle (which may have had absolutely nothing to do with the activity) parked among the various crew trucks. It was a fully rigid 1980’s MF Courier type with Y braced bars/stem & old canti brakes. That would have been scary coming down the trail in my opinion, let alone attempting a jump over this mound.

Now the bad news. a) This is our tax dollars at work. The team was there for at least a couple of hours. This will be an expensive exercise.
b) When speaking to the ranger it was strongly hinted that the rangers are to be being furnished with radar speed guns soon. So even if this ridiculous case is thrown out, there are negative repercussions imminent. Not that I’m advocating reckless speeding, but nor do I want to have to fit a cycle computer to ensure I stay below 15mph or be worried about turning a corner and be a couple of mph too fast and getting dinged. Shades of Mt Tam – still fun but….?

For the rest of my ride tonight – Canyon, Marsh, Lawndale and back – I carried out an impromptu, random survey. There were 31 more cyclists than walkers out tonight, interestingly there was not a single walker on the paths above the lake Ilsanjo loop elevation. I hope the State Park team recognises how & where a significant proportion of the park users get their enjoyment and recreation and support the MTB community by not reacting adversely to this case.

Here's hoping.

·
don't try this at home
1,601 Posts
i remember that pile too. what an idiot. if he could clear the upper section then there is no reason he should've crashed on a gravel pile at the end of a relatively flat section. he also could have easily gone around the pile as it wasn't blocking the trail. he obviously wasn't paying attention to where he was going. and doesn't know the potential risks of the activity he was engaging. not that the gravel pile is a risk since it was an immobile object off to the side of the trailhead.

if it goes to jury, maybe i'll get my notice. :)

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Oh Yes....

Oh boy....I'm in too....i could spen hours hours thinking of ways to publicly lambast this jerk off.

WHOSIT?????

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Dude???

WTF? Look where that little piece of info came from......not exactly an impartial party...

Courtesy of Legal News and Views, Ohio Academy of Trial Lawyers

·
The Uber Carnivore
360 Posts
"Sacrafice"???

"Did I have to sacrafice? Absolutely."

I have to laff at this comment...going to school is a sacrafice? Please.

After a BA, MA, and JD (way too long sitting in a classroom), there's no way I can say that my experience involved one second of sacrafice. It cost a fortune, and I'll be paying for it for nearly 20 more years, but that doesn't make it a sacrafice.

That's like saying, "I sacraficed a 2 week trip to Maui so I could go to Australia instead." No sacrafice, just an ordinary choice.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Trail Punk said:

After a BA, MA, and JD (way too long sitting in a classroom), there's no way I can say that my experience involved one second of sacrafice. It cost a fortune, and I'll be paying for it for nearly 20 more years, but that doesn't make it a sacrafice.

That's like saying, "I sacraficed a 2 week trip to Maui so I could go to Australia instead." No sacrafice, just an ordinary choice.

*Ahem* We've moved on from that tangent, back to lambasting the eejit that inspired the thread. :D

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
Trail Punk said:

What's even funnier is that a lawyer can't spell. It's Sacrifice, not sacrafice. I realize this is only MTBR, but when arguing that you are a lawyer you should attempt to present yourself a bit more professionally, lest you give the appearance that it really took you 7 years to finish college. At least use spellcheck so we won't know you can't spell. Sasquatch

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
lemme get this straight.....

Crashing = big $$$$$$ ??? :eek:

Wow, what a country. Mountain bikers all over the WORLD dream of getting paid to crash. Think of all the crashing they do in third-world countries with little or no compensation. And here, we get millions upon millions to do what other bikers have been doing for free.

God bless America, and leave the body armor at home!! Especially that pesky helmet!

·
Premium Member
5,092 Posts
Sasquatch said:
What's even funnier is that a lawyer can't spell. It's Sacrifice, not sacrafice. I realize this is only MTBR, but when arguing that you are a lawyer you should attempt to present yourself a bit more professionally, lest you give the appearance that it really took you 7 years to finish college. At least use spellcheck so we won't know you can't spell. Sasquatch
Well forgive me for not using the same care in my drafting on comments here as I do in my professional work. As far as spellcheck, I have never been able to figure out how to use it on these damm boards. But then of course you have nothing better to do but point out a mispelling.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
CDMC said:
Well forgive me for not using the same care in my drafting on comments here as I do in my professional work. As far as spellcheck, I have never been able to figure out how to use it on these damm boards. But then of course you have nothing better to do but point out a mispelling.
Attacking someone's spelling is weak tactics reserved for the unaware. Unaware in the sense that they sound like a jacka$$ when they do so. The beauty of language is you can totally mangle a sentence or word and still convey the intended thought, and is that not the real point here..

Anyhow, perhaps this guy does not know how many people he effects with his lawsuit. If somehow he could be directed to this thread or contacted with a letter explaining the repercussions of his actions along with a multitude of signatures (something I am more than willing to sign, as I'm a current resident of Santa Rosa) he would realize that his actions are extremely self-centered, and while suing can turn out beneficial to him, the negative repercussions are far greater than any amount of money he will derive from this lawsuit. I know this sounds extremely naive, but from time to time I try not to be a cynical bastard, and I'm quite certain that at times certain people are self-centered because they don't realize they're being self-centered in the first place. Perhaps, that is the case here.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts