Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about running up to Annadel on Wednesday for a few hours of riding with the girlfriend followed by a trip to the brew pub. Can anyone fill me in on current trail conditions? Should I bring fenders, or should we just not even bother? Should we expect it to be crowded? Can you guys come up with some easy to intermediate routes for our first trip to Annadel?

Thanks in advance to everyone that chimes in!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Fenders definitely. We had some rain Monday and the puddles were still prevalent.

There are several trails with sticky gooey in the shaded areas, great riding. Prepare for dirty legs.

Wednesday should be fairly empty. As for routes, I'll let the others chime in, because I feel they are all worth the time and effort.

Avoid the climb up Two Quarry for a beginner.

·
baggin ho's
737 Posts
It's pretty sloppy all over right now. a good beginner route would be up richardson, around the lake, and up louis, down N Burma, live oak, rough go, orchard cobblestone. If you need more miles climb marsh and take S burma at the meadow. bring fenders and ride through the center of the puddles.

·
Registered
130 Posts
g-funk said:
ride through the center of the puddles.
YES! Please! (Warning: a couple are getting pretty deep!!!)

Don't ride around them, it only makes the trail wider and disturbs the natural surround.
Being I ride so much in the winter, you all can certainly expect me to be available for trail repair/maintenance in the spring/summer.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot for the heads up. Are there any spots that would be especially sloppy I can avoid? Also, if I'm in Santa Rosa with a trunk rack, is it safe to leave the bikes on it while we grab a bite and a beer?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Portions of Ridge, Lois and upper North Burma can get pretty muddy but I haven't been out recently.

Lock the bikes up unless you can park in front of the brewery. Get the PLINY. :thumbsup:

Bikes have been stolen out back from the brewery before.

·
Registered
101 Posts
g-funk said:
It's pretty sloppy all over right now. a good beginner route would be up richardson, around the lake, and up louis, down N Burma, live oak, rough go, orchard cobblestone. If you need more miles climb marsh and take S burma at the meadow. bring fenders and ride through the center of the puddles.
same route I took on Sunday. Pretty muddy.

·
NedwannaB
12,792 Posts
You are partly correct.....

Melt said:
only lower steves is off limits.
.....young man. Lower Steves is off limits to bikes. To continue trail history for the OP (Plasticbike) "Old" Middle Steves (now M. Louis Trail) between Lake Trail and North Burma, is open to all users. "Upper" Upper Steve's (replaced by Ridge Tr during late 90's trail renovations I believe??) is also off limits. Not that I know where that particular trail is...erhhh...was....:eek:

·
Registered
130 Posts
I came in from spring lake behind the swimming lagoon to cobblestone and up to the lake and down spring creek last night.

Real gooey. My rear Maxxis Minion loaded up pretty quick on the climb up to cobblestone and rendered it useless.

The rest shed quickly once I started turning some faster revolutions.

With more rain tomorrow, this weekend wont be any better.

BUT ITS STILL FUN!!!!! just plan to set your feet down occasionally on some climbs.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hoooooo Boy! I'm from the East Bay, and the mud in Tilden is very similar in consistency to potting clay. We rode the route recommended by g-funk, and while it was damp and muddy in some places, there was nothing to stop a ride.

What fun! The ride was a stretch technically, but didn't really put the hurt on aerobically. The trails are less exposed than those in China Camp or Tamarancho, which was great for my girlfriend. We took it very slowly, but I can't wait to get back there with some of the guys from my shop and really push it along some of those spots. I did have two falls when my back tire, covered in the red slickness, decided to start spinning without pushing me along, but that's part of the experience.

Furthermore, I think that the scenery had to be some of the best I've ever been ridden through. This park is DEFINITELY in the ride rotation.

Thanks to everyone for your help. You all helped make the day a real winner.

·
NedwannaB
12,792 Posts
Definitely head back....

PlasticBike said:
Hoooooo Boy! I think that the scenery had to be some of the best I've ever been ridden through. This park is DEFINITELY in the ride rotation.
.......you only hit part of it. Plenty more to see and explore farther out in the park.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.