Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It happened a couple of weeks ago, a sloppy slowdown on a steep descent into ruts, whilst sliding sideways my clipped in heel hit a lump and stopped, rest of my foot kept moving and made some crunchy sounds.
The ankle has a screw in it to make things go back together, the cast comes off in 2 weeks, then screw removal, than physio.
My question is... how long should it take for the ankle to get back to normal? I have bikes to ride, snowboarding to do, hockey to play, work to do, am hoping things will be ok around Christmas - Anybody have a similar injury?

·
Registered
321 Posts
I feel your pain

I just started back riding after almost 4 months. I think it may be a bit sooner for you, but it is difficult sitting around on nice days.

Attachments

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Francine said:
I just started back riding after almost 4 months. I think it may be a bit sooner for you, but it is difficult sitting around on nice days.
I find it tough sitting around on the not so nice days too!

Wow, those are quite the tracks you have there!!! I just have a small spot where the screw went in, no stitches. Someone I know stepped off a curb and broke their ankle, they had stitches like yours up both sides of the leg. He had pins and plates put in, was playing pro hockey about 2 months after the injury.

·
Registered
110 Posts
There is no screw in your ankle. Depending on where your incision is, you have a plate and screws in your fibula and maybe a screw or 2 on the inside of your ankle in your tibia.

Francine in the picture above probably had a very bad ankle /leg fracture judging from that incision. And had the help of a resident judging from that suture line ;)

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a screw only, no plates or other hardware. Screw comes out on Dec 4, then some physio. I can't wait to get rid of the crutches!!! It feels good, I have a walking cast now, am trying to be careful not to get too far ahead of myself, don't want to do any damage. I had the plaster cast removed last week, was surprised at how swollen my ankle still is. (thought it would look more or less normal after being rested for 6 weeks)
This x-ray isn't of my ankle, but it looks the same.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Next time you see your doc, ask them if they ever heard of an Arthrex Tightrope. And that screw isn't in your ankle.

·
Registered
321 Posts
My x ray

I have been back riding trails for about 3 weeks. My injury and surgery was July 4th. Why are they removing your screw? All my hardware stays in place.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Your hardware is designed to stay in place. His hardware is designed to be removed. There is motion between the 2 bones that they put a screw across above his ankle so the tissue in between the bones that help hold them together heal.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think it's up to the doctor. According to my internet research, it's about 50/50 - screws are left in, but sometimes break, causing problems and the screw being left in can cause arthritis issues later on. I know someone who had the same thing from a water skiiing injury about 3 years ago, the screw is still in, no problems.
The hockey guy I know of had a year or so for removal of his pins and plates, he got it done in the off season.

·
Registered
110 Posts
We're talking about 2 different things here.

1. Fracine's hardware is designed so that it can stay in the body forever unless it causes irritation or something.
2. A syndesmotic injury (yours) requires the screw be removed when the membrane is healed because there is motion between the 2 bones when you put weight on it. If the screw isn't removed or you walk on it, you usually break the screw which then might negate the need for removal but not every time, in my experience. If your doctor instead puts in what's called a "Tightrope" (which is what I prefer to put in nowadays for these types of injuries) then the Tightrope can be left in forever... unless the patient wants it removed.

I didn't do internet research, however ;)

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info, Fib. My internet research revolved around leave the screw in (I thought that's what my doctor was going to do, because he didn't mention it coming out the first couple of visits) or taking it out.
My main interest now is in the rehab end of things. The ankle feels pretty good, seems to take weight ok, but it is difficult to walk without a limp until things loosen up. From what I've heard it's the getting things to loosen up that takes time.....
Just had my first right shoe on since Sept. 24. A bike shoe, did 5 minutes on the trainer!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I usually take the screw out @ 12 weeks. Give it time and possibly go to a PT. They can work wonders.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Francine said:
Now that's a cut.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Physio is great, have had 2 sessions so far, ankle swelling has gone down quite a bit, I can get my regular work boots on now (have been wearing a half size bigger for the last month) and can get a snowboard boot on, but it's still too tight.
If it wasn't so cold and snowy out, I'd be back on the bike too!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts