Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do medium intensity XC riding. I made the jump to full suspension and clip in pedals this January and totally enjoy the plush ride. About 2 months ago my inside ankle tendons started killing me and it felt like my achilless tendons wouldn't stretch. I don't do any other sports that would be to blame. I have Shimano 520's (setup loose!) and Sidi Dominator 5 shoes. Anything very obvious I'm missing or maybe it's just old man pain

·
Registered
49 Posts
doctor?

have you seen a doctor? One possible explanation is the shoes don't fit properly or you might ride in a weird position that works that area, otherwise not totally sure!!!!:idea:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not yet, my first thought was also the shoes, I put in some Specialized footbeds with the canted inserts and it seems to have helped. I think it's the fact that with clips your pulling up with your foot during pedaling and my ankles weren't strong enough or aligned right in that direction. Good news is I'm on the mend, achilles+ankles feel much better. Got my first XC race this Sunday!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Good luck Sunday!

Be careful with that foot, pains like that come and go. You just don't want to rip anything, the recovery and reoccurance of that injury isn't worth it.

Is the position of the cleat the issue, mabey move it forward/backwards to test?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good Idea! I totally forgot about the cleats, next week after the race I'll move them back toward the center of my foot do my usual training run and see how it feels:thumbsup:

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Well if you weren't accustomed to riding cliples and then switched, that would prob be reason enough with your legs not accustomed to the pulling action they require. BUT to go straight into clipless and SIDI Dom 5's is maddness, they are so stiff it isn't funny. I just got a pair of the Dom5's and have been riding clipless for over 1.5 years and had to get accustomed to them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't realize it was such big change, the dude at the bike store was pushing them because they were so stiff and of course the commission on $190 shoes, at first I was super amazed how much more pedaling power you have but, I guess I should have changed my technique gradually. Good news is I'm on the mend so no permanent damage.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have had problems with my achilles tendons when my seat is too high. Too much legg extension results in extra ankle movement, this can bother the hips too I have found. May not be your problem, but an idea to ponder. Glad you're on the mend.

Bikeface

·
Just a punk in the street
184 Posts
I also

have had some Achilles pain. It has taken almost 3 months to get better. Not too much pain and mostly when stretching the heel, i.e. when the leg is extended forward while walking. Had to adjust my walk a little.

I believe this was caused by over extending my heel while taking a fall. I also think my seat was too high at the time.

I have now gone to a softer lace up shoe and a platform type clipless pedal. This has really helped. I have found that stretching also helps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know I didn't stretch enough (possible injury cause #1) as I'm usually rushing to get on the bike and get going after work but, at least I always start out light to warm up. I saw on another thread someone mention leg extension and since I'm a newbie when I would get tired on long climbs I can remember extending my heel down on the powerstroke to use more leg muscle range (possible injury cause #2) but as I learned from more experienced people later I should have raised my seat height. Seat is now set so that with my foot level my leg is about an inch from full extension at the bottom of the stroke does this sound right?. I also made the mistake of when tired trying to pedal only pulling up to give my burning quads at brief rest (possible injury cause #3). That should be enough mistakes to hurt yourself! I rode this weekend with a group of guys on some really technical trails far beyond my level and survived with no crashes or ankle problems the next day so I must be somewhat on the right track.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Well it sounds as if you're on the right track and/or are getting more accustomed to the stiffness of the SIDIs and riding clipless. Still remember to keep an eye out for any returning signs, especially if you change your setup any.

blindsquirrel said:
...................That should be enough mistakes to hurt yourself! I rode this weekend with a group of guys on some really technical trails far beyond my level and survived with no crashes or ankle problems the next day so I must be somewhat on the right track.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.