Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of days to ride and I want to try some new trails within a couple hours of Marin.
I’ve never ridden at Angwin, the peninsula or Santa Cruz.
I guess Santa Cruz is probably the best spot to head to?

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
When? Santa Cruz is in maximum blown out summer conditions right now. Skeggs will be better as they get a decent amount of moisture throughout the summer, and it’s not overridden because lack of gravity oriented trails. Excellent if you are more into cross country riding on quality singletrack.

I’d also recommend Pacifica if you haven’t been. There is more there than just the jump area and DH trails people talk about. Plenty of xc friendly trails to explore.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah all the trails in Marin that I ride are rutted and sandy so that won’t deter me.
I’m not a big jumper but I’m more into singletrack descents and exploring new areas.
Seems like demo might be easier to find my way around than a bunch of unsanctioned trails at UC, at least on a first visit.
I’m kind of interested in Pacifica and it’s usually cooler there.
How does Skeggs compare to Tamarancho or the backside of China camp?

·
Spin-stabilized
1,496 Posts
Ride Skeggs and UC/Wilder or Angwin + Moore Creek. I lived next to Demo (literally had a nice singletrack trail to the bottom of Hihns Mill fire road and almost never rode Demo. The perceived fire road to singletrack ratio is high over there, mainly because the singletrack is sandwiched between 2 big FR climbs for the loop. However, there's a good chance I'm in the minority of riders who aren't as enamoured with Demo.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
651 Posts
Yeah all the trails in Marin that I ride are rutted and sandy so that won't deter me.
I'm not a big jumper but I'm more into singletrack descents and exploring new areas.
Seems like demo might be easier to find my way around than a bunch of unsanctioned trails at UC, at least on a first visit.
I'm kind of interested in Pacifica and it's usually cooler there.
How does Skeggs compare to Tamarancho or the backside of China camp?
Since you're into singletrack descents and exploring new areas (and less abt jumping)...
1. Skeggs - awesome, vast network of singletrack descents/ascents. skeggs is an absolute gem, and trails are never crowded (though parking lot might be)
2. Pacifica/McNee State Park - the views will blow you away; for singletrack, ride down Two Pines. Fire road up, but the views everywhere make the fire roads super enjoyable. Park in Grey Whale Cove parking lot.

·
I like mtn biking, too
3,249 Posts
There are lots of holes in the undocumented trails in SC right now, but with a big travel bike it's still fun. Wilder is dry, but in great shape. They've weed whacked all of the trails just recently.
For exploring gorgeous scenery and finding interesting terrain, Pacifica/Montara should be high on your list. When the fog clears it's amazing. I'd recommend finding G-d's trail for a flowy fast descent.
Skeggs is good fun too if you don't mind killer elevation gain per mile and it has the most tree cover.
Have no idea how Angwin is these days.

Reactions: mtbrdan

·
Registered
359 Posts
Angwin never gets old, connect Moore Creek for a really nice ride. Not a lot of Demo style tech but the builders have done an amazing job and the views are incredible.
If you want to ride day 2 you can go to Skyline or Annadel.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Well I didn’t make it to Santa Cruz but I went to Pacifica and next day up to Angwin.
Pacifica was pretty great. It was nice exploring a new area. I didn’t see a single “no bikes” sign. Not in Marin anymore Toto.
Next day I went to Angwin. There are some sketchy drops that look way bigger in person than they do on YouTube. And some fun steep trails. Overall I was into it and I had a good day but it wasn’t a spot I’ll go back to real soon. Seemed like there were lots of “green” trails and couple blacks but not a ton of blue terrain which is what I’m into.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Seemed like there were lots of "green" trails and couple blacks but not a ton of blue terrain which is what I'm into.
Hennessy Lake and the Moore Creek descent are better options for blues. I like to do a loop which includes old Howell mt.

Sadly we lost what was arguably the best North Bay blue descent when the recent crackdown happened around the Calfire station.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are you referring to a closure of dans wild ride?
It seems like there is a lot of confusion and controversy over whether you can “legally” connect Angwin and Moore creek.
I went to Angwin with a plan to maybe ride down to Moore creek and back up. But at what I thought was the right trail junction there was a fence with a gap and an obviously very used trail. Also a sign that said crossing the land was trespassing. The people I met at Angwin all had different info about it. So I left it alone.
is there a legal way to ride between the two areas?
What is dans ride like? I mean are there any similar Marin or Annadel trails?
Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Next day I went to Angwin. There are some sketchy drops that look way bigger in person than they do on YouTube. And some fun steep trails. Overall I was into it and I had a good day but it wasn't a spot I'll go back to real soon. Seemed like there were lots of "green" trails and couple blacks but not a ton of blue terrain which is what I'm into.
Felt the same way about Angwin. Cool to check out, not worth the drive again, unless I was into riding that park they've got in the middle...but I'm not b/c I'm too old and not my cup of tea.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
The new Dan's is in. Go to Lower Tick Loop, you will see the Okin Trail taking off to the left. Follow that, but don't escape to the main road when it gets close.
(Serpentine Rd)
Stay left and the Okin Trail will drop you off on the main road lower down. Ride the road down and take a right. You will see the new DWR on your right.
It's those tight switchbacks in the pic.

Lots of closures right now in Angwin. They are thinning the Forest. More to come soon. Some trail closures right now on the northern section. Manzanita Maze and the northern trailhead.
They will soon be thinning the Forest working south to north above the Mossy Rock Trail.
Please respect the trail closures. The masticator they are using to clear the lower canopy throws forest debris pretty far. Quite dangerous to be anywhere near them where they are working.

Don't ride anywhere near the Calfire Station (Los Posadas State Forest).
The old DWR is open for an up and back from Moore Creek Park. You will see signs near the top.
Ecoregion Map Line Atlas Parallel

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the information about Angwin. For some reason I like the idea of connecting Moore’s and Angwin. Gives me a goal for the ride.
I saw a spot with a fence with a gap in it and a well-worn singletrack going through. From looking at your map it appears to be the marked route in red connecting Angwin to DWR. There was also a new 8x11 laminated sign that said “going without permission is trespassing” or something similar.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
"There was also a new 8x11 laminated sign that said “going without permission is trespassing” That is the Okin Trail - not the gap in the fence - just a bit further...
While not officially sanctioned, that is the only (soon to be) legal way to get from Angwin to the new DWR, down to Moore Creek Park.
Anything else in the Los Posadas State Forest is illegal. We will soon get the official permission to open the Okin Trail to the public.

If you kids stick to this route, there won't be any trouble.
The legal signage/Property Rights/Public Passage, etc... is not yet approved, but will soon be.

Please be patient and enjoy my backyard without pissing off CalFire or the PUC Forest management and their efforts to clear the lower canopy of the woods for fire prevention.
The Glass Fire nearly destroyed us and PUC has graciously offered up to protect the mt. bike trails and opened up the Forest for public enjoyment.
The PUC Forest is being re-worked and the trails will be re-built.
The new DWR/Moore Creek Park connect has many legal hurtles with private land owners to become officially open to the public.
I have provided the best info I have to protect us and you.
Please be respectful and stick to the route described above.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Hennessy Lake and the Moore Creek descent are better options for blues. I like to do a loop which includes old Howell mt.

Sadly we lost what was arguably the best North Bay blue descent when the recent crackdown happened around the Calfire station.
Yeah, I don't think many people realize just how big of a loss 4H is :(

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.