Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Arrrghhh!!!
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I couldn't find much info on the ways in which an angleset impacts the ride of a SB5.5, so I figured I'd post and let folks know.
The bike is basically stock with the XO build, and I love it. Awesome peddler for the travel and weight, great for most everything. However, my primary home trail involves a very steep climb (at least for me-- 11% for about a mile, 24% for about a quarter mile) and some rowdy downhill lines. I was hoping that an angleset would help 1) increase the seat angle to help plant the front tire on the climbs and 2) offer more stability on the descents. I installed a 1 degree set from Works Components and have been riding it for a month or so.
Initially the front wheel felt a bit floppy and I was concerned it would have a chopper feel, but I got used to it within 10 minutes. Climbs felt more planted and descents have been more stable and faster. There were times before when I felt like my center of gravity was too far forward if I got overly aggressive on the turns, and now I feel more balanced.
As far as downsides, the only real change I've noticed is the lower BB. I'm now striking my pedals at least once per ride and I need to be more mindful while negotiating the rocky and rooty New England terrain. I'm sure this is a matter of improving skill, but I wouldn't need to address it if I kept the bike at the stock configuration. Previously I might get a strike every two or three rides, so it is a significant difference but not one that outweighs the benefits.
If I think of anything else later I'll update.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey all, I couldn't find much info on the ways in which an angleset impacts the ride of a SB5.5, so I figured I'd post and let folks know.
The bike is basically stock with the XO build, and I love it. Awesome peddler for the travel and weight, great for most everything. However, my primary home trail involves a very steep climb (at least for me-- 11% for about a mile, 24% for about a quarter mile) and some rowdy downhill lines. I was hoping that an angleset would help 1) increase the seat angle to help plant the front tire on the climbs and 2) offer more stability on the descents. I installed a 1 degree set from Works Components and have been riding it for a month or so.
Initially the front wheel felt a bit floppy and I was concerned it would have a chopper feel, but I got used to it within 10 minutes. Climbs felt more planted and descents have been more stable and faster. There were times before when I felt like my center of gravity was too far forward if I got overly aggressive on the turns, and now I feel more balanced.
As far as downsides, the only real change I've noticed is the lower BB. I'm now striking my pedals at least once per ride and I need to be more mindful while negotiating the rocky and rooty New England terrain. I'm sure this is a matter of improving skill, but I wouldn't need to address it if I kept the bike at the stock configuration. Previously I might get a strike every two or three rides, so it is a significant difference but not one that outweighs the benefits.
I've experimented with two different cheap mods in the past. I bumped the fork travel to 170mm, which has pros and cons; and I tried offsetbushings which to me was all cons.

Haven't tried an anglset, but one thing I hated about the offsets was shortening the already short reach - did the angleset have the same effect for you or did you start with a longer reach due to sizing to begin with?

·
Arrrghhh!!!
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am 5'10" with a large, and although it must have reduced the reach I really did not notice. That being said, I also don't mind having a reach that is super long.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Thanks for the update. Did it shorten your reach much ? Which exact angleset did you get ? I've been thinking of getting one as well so this is a timely update.

·
Arrrghhh!!!
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the 1 degree angleset. Like i said before, i didn't notice much change in reach, but i might not be as sensitive to these things as others. It is the ec44 zs56 headset. Having ridden it for a while now, i wouldn't change it back for the terrain I'm presently riding. If it were more trail oriented, ie less steep and fast, i might revert back to the original.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.