Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Hisforever
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by a bike shop that anglesets will not fit on Yeti frames?

is this true? I just bought a new 5+ with the intentions of running a 160 fork, 1.5 or 2 degree angleset with 29er wheels.

I see others riding w/ 29ers wheels, is anyone running a works components or cane creek headset?

Really want to make this as aggo as possible. 65.5 head angle 74 plus SA
couple mm less bb.

planning 170mm cranks as well...

Hope my build vision is not shattered b/c no go on anglesets. I realize there is the shock offset deal which makes the seatpost slacker than 74degrees. no bueno

what would you guys recommend?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
You can run either the cane creek adjustable angleset or the works components models with no problems.

·
Hisforever
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool, wonder why competitive cyclist said no can?? found a good deal on a complete bike. should i be looking at the sb130 instead? just dont wanna pay the premium, hard to find deals on that frame. any tips? haha

could be sweet to have a sb5 29er 127 w 65.1 HA

works components seems to get better reviews

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
cool, wonder why competitive cyclist said no can?? found a good deal on a complete bike. should i be looking at the sb130 instead? just dont wanna pay the premium, hard to find deals on that frame. any tips? haha

If you do go the SB5+ frame route I wouldn't try to slacken it out anymore than 66 degrees. your going to lower the BB way to much even with 29'er wheels

Yeah I'd go with a works headset but only do the -1 degree and pair that with a 160mm fox 36 fork which would effectively get the bike to 66 degrees HTA

The SB130 is definitely with the price if you can swing it. Best bike I've ridden to date and in the long run you wouldn't regret spending the extra $1200 on the frame.

Sometimes if you ask nicely with a salesperson they will either give you 10% off the frame up front or 10% worth of merchandise to apply towards parts you may need. I've done this various times with BC/CC online.

·
Freezer
440 Posts
I had the Works Components -1.5 degree headset on a Pivot. It was very well made and worked great. I also have an SB4.5 with offset bushings to slack the head angle 1 degree and that works great as well, although it lowers your bottom bracket about 1/4", slightly slacks the STA and reduces the effective TT a few mm.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I was told by a bike shop that anglesets will not fit on Yeti frames?

is this true? I just bought a new 5+ with the intentions of running a 160 fork, 1.5 or 2 degree angleset with 29er wheels.

I see others riding w/ 29ers wheels, is anyone running a works components or cane creek headset?

Really want to make this as aggo as possible. 65.5 head angle 74 plus SA
couple mm less bb.

planning 170mm cranks as well...

Hope my build vision is not shattered b/c no go on anglesets. I realize there is the shock offset deal which makes the seatpost slacker than 74degrees. no bueno

what would you guys recommend?
I have a SB5 + and ran it with a Works 1 degree angle set with a 34 Fox 150 fork for a season. I finally got the bike dialed in when I switched to a 36 Fox 160 and removed the angle set. I swapped the 2.8 Minion I had up front for 3.0 Purgatory and am loving they it rides now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Hisforever
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
can anyone confirm using a 7.875 x 2.0 rear shock on this little whip?

thanks a bunch, very close to owning a yeti after many many years

·
Banned
895 Posts

Contact Mark at Probikesupply and ask what he can get you an SB130 for.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know this thread is quite old but I have a Large Yeti SB5+ I put some 29ers on it. I also put a Fox DPX2 rear shock and 150mm Fox 36 Factory Grip 2 Fork and a Works -1.5 Angleset, this bike now feels like a total ripper. The BB height is still at about 343mm and head angle is 65.7 degrees and seat angle is 74.4 degrees. The Angleset shortened the top tube by 3mm to 622mm and increased the reach by 8mm as well as dropped the BB by 3mm.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I know this thread is quite old but I have a Large Yeti SB5+ I put some 29ers on it. I also put a Fox DPX2 rear shock and 150mm Fox 36 Factory Grip 2 Fork and a Works -1.5 Angleset, this bike now feels like a total ripper. The BB height is still at about 343mm and head angle is 65.7 degrees and seat angle is 74.4 degrees. The Angleset shortened the top tube by 3mm to 622mm and increased the reach by 8mm as well as dropped the BB by 3mm.
Which headset did you go with? Was it the EC44-ZS56? I have just started looking into the Works and haven't looked at my 4.5 close enough yet to see which headset would work. Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts