Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, bike dweebs! I have a question that may sound a bit silly. I have a thule roof-rack system complete with two #545 wheel holder. I have them set up so that they are perpendicular to the 50lb load bar, at a 90-degree angle. I've been somewhat okay with this positioning, but I don't know if that is the right and "cool" way to have them set. not too many cars I see with roof racks have wheel holders, and the ones that do have them raked back a bit, which I think looks cooler. those who have wheel holders, what angle position do you have them in? straight up or raked back? having them slanted, is there a tendency for the wheel holders to fall back because of gravity wanting to pull them down further and therefore putting stress on the plastic clamps to which they are attached? I need to know these things! thanks!

·
Registered
804 Posts
cool?

djork said:
I've been somewhat okay with this positioning, but I don't know if that is the right and "cool" way to have them set. not too many cars I see with roof racks have wheel holders, and the ones that do have them raked back a bit, which I think looks cooler.
I don't get it.

PS - I mounted my wheel holders to my spoiler. Here is a shot before I put the rack on it.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
frank n. beans said:
I don't get it.
yeah, I'm such a poseur :p well, what I meant by cool was having the wheel holders raked back kind of gives a somewhat aerodynamic look that makes it more efficient in slicing through the air and therefore makes it look cool!

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
However they fit. When I used them mine were angled to clear the bikes.

I always ran a strap around the crossbar and rim, too. Never trusted the QR alone to hold..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.