Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, anyone out there know the scoop on this Saturdays opening day at Angelfire? A group of us were planning on going out there on Saturday, but a few are skeptical.

Apparently because of the high fire risk, the opening is "tentative". Any other info you guys might have would really help.
Thanks,

·
Bandolero
2,438 Posts
someday - maybe

PMAC said:
Hey guys, anyone out there know the scoop on this Saturdays opening day at Angelfire? A group of us were planning on going out there on Saturday, but a few are skeptical.
If only there was some way to find things on the internet... If only...
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=angelfire+ski+resort&btnG=Search

If only there were was some way that you could have simultaneous verbal communications with people far away. If only...

http://www.angelfireresort.com/activities_contact.html

If only I could get someone to loan me a 6-7 inch travel bike... if only...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have spoken to a person at the Angelfire resort, but they don't give me any insight on what's going on out there. I figure some locals who ride might understand what factors they're basing the decision on, and what we can anticipate by weather, etc..

I don't want to drive 9 hours to have a liftee tell me the tentative has turned to "no"

·
Registered
439 Posts
notaknob said:

If only there were was some way that you could have simultaneous verbal communications with people far away. If only...

Lots of words no info. You can take your XC bike there or you can watch the DH guys...lol

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
PMAC said:

Apparently because of the high fire risk, the opening is "tentative". Any other info you guys might have would really help.
Thanks,
I have spoken with some folks there as well. I received the same response. Carson Nat'l Forest is closing the 30th from what I can gather on another thread. The Taos ski area sits on this land also. If I were a gambling man, I would not bet on the mountain remaining open. Too bad because if you have not experienced the DH there, it is some of the best you will find. Check this out....

Chilli Challenge

Copy and paste this link in Quicktime (open URL) in the file drop down menu.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
PMAC said:
Thanks for the post. So I guess now I have to monitor Carson National Forest. Is that all Angelfire is waiting for to close?
If Carson closes the resort will most likely follow suite. Thats my guess. However, Abq just got the craziest rainfall as soon as I posted. The likes of which I have not seen in the 10 years that I have lived here. Forecast says there is the possibility of rain all week....:yesnod:

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Mtn. Biker123 said:
If Carson closes the resort will most likely follow suite. Thats my guess. However, Abq just got the craziest rainfall as soon as I posted. The likes of which I have not seen in the 10 years that I have lived here. Forecast says there is the possibility of rain all week....:yesnod:
Here is the latest
http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/carson/news/2006/stage3_flyer.pdf

·
Fragilie
866 Posts
notaknob said:

You're doing a mighty fine job of making an a-- of yourself.Maybe if you weren't such an arrogant bastich somebody might loan you a "6-7" travel bike.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Mtn. Biker123 said:
Angle Fire is private land within the Carson Forrest. In the past years of forrest closure they stayed open and I rode there a bunch. This year however I heard RUMORS that they would close if Carson closed. Only the resort can tell you for sure. Try calling and talking to the lift/trail people. The forrest was suppose to close yesterday according to the TV reports. *** Everyone remember that Los Alamos is running the lift on Sat. the 8th. They are private land as well and always stay open during closures - May have some new stuff going there but I think I'm getting rained out this week. Been riding some cool new 4X type stuff in Santa Fe the past few days. The rain has been perfect***

·
Bandolero
2,438 Posts
errorgance?

Eric B said:
You're doing a mighty fine job of making an a-- of yourself.Maybe if you weren't such an arrogant bastich somebody might loan you a "6-7" travel bike.
That post was loaded with pertinent information, encapsulated within witty scarcasam. I even did the preliminary work and posted the urls where more information could be found.

My post was humorous, informative, baited, and reeked slightly of troll. It's hard to believe that anyone would find it even slightly annoying.

·
Registered
439 Posts
rsclimb said:
Angle Fire is private land within the Carson Forrest. In the past years of forrest closure they stayed open and I rode there a bunch. This year however I heard RUMORS that they would close if Carson closed. Only the resort can tell you for sure. Try calling and talking to the lift/trail people. The forrest was suppose to close yesterday according to the TV reports. *** Everyone remember that Los Alamos is running the lift on Sat. the 8th. They are private land as well and always stay open during closures - May have some new stuff going there but I think I'm getting rained out this week. Been riding some cool new 4X type stuff in Santa Fe the past few days. The rain has been perfect***
Cool, I just spoke with the Angel Fire people and they said that they would be opening on the 1st.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
rsclimb said:
Rich...see ya on the 8th. Thanks for the directions to the rock dams on Sunday. How was the rest of the ride up? Did you take Windsor or Little Tesuque up?

Bryan

·
Registered
38 Posts
I was at Angelfire the other day and they were hoping to open the 1st IIRC. The lady at the desk said they're opening late because the fire danger has been so high they can't get any equipment up there to cleanup from winter, no idea if thats accurate or not.

On the forest...I'm betting it'll open back up after the 4th of July. Angelfire has recieved about 1 1/2" of rain in the last couple of days. The forest service just doesnt' want to have to deal with the drunks w/ fireworks on the 4th...

Hopefully I can get out there and do the Southern Boundry trail, I've heard its perty :cool:

·
Registered
172 Posts
What are the trails like in Angel Fire? I'm thinking of the downhill, lift assisted ones... (if there are any?). I was up there last year to watch the world cup but I don't remember much about the trails as I mostly wanted to watch the 4x race.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I just got back from Whistler, BC on Tuesday and I have to say, anyone who hasn't been up there to ride, needs to go. You owe it to yourself. They have stuff for EVERY skill level and type of riding. From crazy downhill runs, to drops, to bmx style jumps/wallrides/box jumps, to XC... it was awesome. I rode the bike park for 5 days and it was such a blast. My riding abilities really got back into shape as I hadn't ridden like that for a long time.

Whistler has ~9k residents and over 1k belong to their MTB club!!!

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
chris87114 said:
What are the trails like in Angel Fire? I'm thinking of the downhill, lift assisted ones... (if there are any?). I was up there last year to watch the world cup but I don't remember much about the trails as I mostly wanted to watch the 4x race.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I just got back from Whistler, BC on Tuesday and I have to say, anyone who hasn't been up there to ride, needs to go. You owe it to yourself. They have stuff for EVERY skill level and type of riding. From crazy downhill runs, to drops, to bmx style jumps/wallrides/box jumps, to XC... it was awesome. I rode the bike park for 5 days and it was such a blast. My riding abilities really got back into shape as I hadn't ridden like that for a long time.

Whistler has ~9k residents and over 1k belong to their MTB club!!!
Hey Chris, yeah there are some pretty nice DH trails up in AF, decent XC stuff as well. The lift is nice and fast and in my experience the bike loaders are careful and considerate of one's expensive ride.

Good to hear your Whistler trip went well.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Mtn. Biker123 said:
Rich...see ya on the 8th. Thanks for the directions to the rock dams on Sunday. How was the rest of the ride up? Did you take Windsor or Little Tesuque up?

Bryan
Glad you found the Roch Dams Bryan, We had a good ride all the way up Windsor. I was pretty tired from a long trail work and ride day on Staurday but as usual I always forget how tired I am when I start going down hill:) You'll love the new trail section that I just finished up at Pajarito last night. Whole bunch of hip jumps to berms. Enjoy AF . ask them if they're still thinking about getting some good FR going up there. Bender and I were talking to them last year about getting something going but they never got back in touch with us and Bender askes me about that every once in a while.
Later-RICH

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.