Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I am wanting to us my phone as a GPS tracker, and plot down specific amount of speed, distance and time, so i don't have to go out and buy one..

Question is, If i turn off everything, but GPS, will the battery life be much better? I am worried to put this to real world test, because i generally ride in the woods, and if my battery dies, im pretty much dead, if i fall, and my friends cant find me..

Thanks

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
What?

I am worried to put this to real world test, because i generally ride in the woods, and if my battery dies, im pretty much dead, if i fall, and my friends cant find me..
So you have never ridden without a GPS, nor any place without cell phone coverage before? Believe it or not people have been riding since way before those were invented.

·
Registered
459 Posts
+1 on trying it at home first, but depending on the phone you have for another $60 or so you could also get the extended battery pack for the phone, i have one for my incredible and i know you can get one for the evo and a few others as well...i got mine on ebay for less then 60 but from verizon i think it was 60

if you find that the battery doesnt last too long in your at home test i would recommend one of two things, wait to use the GPS until you really need it especially if you are riding marked trails then just follow the markers. 2 use it the whole time if you need to and get a cheap pay as you go phone that you only pay per minute or day you use it

P.S. if you turn all the functions off besides GPS your friends wouldnt be able to contact you anyway or do you mean turn off all other apps and such, or do you mean turn off 3g and all that other stuff just leaving the GPS on, and depending on where you are the GPS might kill the battery quickly just because you have too weak of a gps signal...for battery life a dedicated gps might be better on battery life

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.