Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Although I've been planning on a new fork for some months now, I decided against an air fork due to the continuing saga of my DHX-air: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=234806 So here's what ended up in my garage tonight:
Photo 1-meet your big brother (2006 Pike air u-turn and 07' Lyrik Coil u-turn. 140mm Vs. 160. 30mm adjust Vs. 45mm. Haven't weighed them yet. According to RS site, about 1.25# more for the Lyrik, but the shop has a digi scale I will confirm once steerer is cut)
2:Clearance of the floodgate switch in the 'on' or up position on a size L 2006 RFX frame. NOTE: this is WITHOUT the crown race installed-so maybe another mm of clearance once thats on.
3: Gonna need an adapter, eh? Forgot that at the shop today. I remembered cable crimps tho...

No ride report. I don't have the proper race removal tool, so just got things measured & dry fitted tonight. Makes the RFX look alot more choppered than I'm used to, but I can't wait for trail time!

Attachments

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Did you have issues with the Pike? I have not had good tuning experiences with coil RS forks of late, but love their air forks. YMMV. :)

The bright side of course is that your fork is not the hideous color that the 2-step comes in. :D

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like Pike

tscheezy said:
Did you have issues with the Pike? I have not had good tuning experiences with coil RS forks of late, but love their air forks. YMMV. :)

The bright side of course is that your fork is not the hideous color that the 2-step comes in. :D
The Pike has treated me well-not a problem out of it. But I feel I have outgrown the Pike in some of the stuff I've been doing, and to get the geo were it belongs on the RFX. Maybe its more in my head than anything, but as we know, that is a big factor when committing to a drop/gap.
And yep, the coil is far prettier than that silver 2step!
Gosh, I hope the coil feels as good as the Pike on the trail...now you got me nervous! Thanks Mr. T! :rolleyes: :cool:

·
on a routine expedition
1,584 Posts
Well, at least with the coil you won't have the problem I'm having with my 2step. Looks like it's developing a stuck-down problem. It's lost about 10mm of travel so far. I've tried depressurizing and cycling the fork and then repressurizing, with no improvement.

It also seems my low speed comp adjuster has lost its detents, and doesn't seem to be doing much any longer.

I should have learned my lesson with the 36 Talas:bluefrown:

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Any time the marketing department pronounces with glee "self-setting negative air spring" I get really, really nervous. :eek:

I bottomed my Pike coil too easily even after switching to a stiffer, and I think sort of harsh, spring rate. I just bottomed the Highline's Totem coil all over the place. I don't get it... ?

·
Bodhisattva
10,833 Posts
SkullCrack said:
Well, at least with the coil you won't have the problem I'm having with my 2step. Looks like it's developing a stuck-down problem. It's lost about 10mm of travel so far. I've tried depressurizing and cycling the fork and then repressurizing, with no results.
Arrrrrrrrgh
Same thing happened to Scubapro. Rock Shox sent him a new fork.
Larry's, on the other hand, won't stay down. Set it to 115mm and it slowly creeps back up.
So far mine is still performing flawlessly (fingers are crossed)

·
Registered
6,982 Posts
tscheezy said:
I just bottomed the Highline's Totem coil all over the place. I don't get it... ?
...stop landing drops with your front brake on ;):D

Just more reasons why I haven't been the slightest bit tempted by the 07 RS lineup :p

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
Biker75 said:
The Pike has treated me well-not a problem out of it. But I feel I have outgrown the Pike in some of the stuff I've been doing, and to get the geo were it belongs on the RFX. Maybe its more in my head than anything, but as we know, that is a big factor when committing to a drop/gap.
And yep, the coil is far prettier than that silver 2step!
Gosh, I hope the coil feels as good as the Pike on the trail...now you got me nervous! Thanks Mr. T! :rolleyes: :cool:
I have got mine on a RFX too and I really like the feel. Now, I'm not doing 5' drops or anything like that, so I havnt experienced the bottoming that others have. I have found the Lyrik to be quite adjustable and blends with my riding style quite well. When the stiffer springs come out I will be moving up to a stiff or extra stiff spring and with that I think any chance of bottoming out at my current riding style or more will be a nonevent.

This fork is so stiff and adjustable that it makes you appreciate what you have up front. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
my pack has gone back and forth b/w coil and air so many times, it'd make your head spin. I recently found a 454 u-turn on the bay with some pretty good use on it but it was cheap. Just wanted to see how I liked it. I switched out my 426 for it and put the dhx coil back on. So far, it's the best set up yet. I'd like a ti spring for the dhx-c and then I think I'll finally be done!

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Mr Tiles said:
my pack has gone back and forth b/w coil and air so many times, it'd make your head spin. I recently found a 454 u-turn on the bay with some pretty good use on it but it was cheap. Just wanted to see how I liked it. I switched out my 426 for it and put the dhx coil back on. So far, it's the best set up yet. I'd like a ti spring for the dhx-c and then I think I'll finally be done!
Sorry for the derailment, but could you please post a larger version of your avatar, Mr Tiles? Is that a chihuahua with pipe cleaner legs or what?

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,677 Posts
be350ka said:
When the stiffer springs come out I will be moving up to a stiff or extra stiff spring and with that I think any chance of bottoming out at my current riding style or more will be a nonevent.

This fork is so stiff and adjustable that it makes you appreciate what you have up front. Enjoy it.
Well, evidently not so adjustable that you can adjust the progression, which is one of the "adjustments" that I think is actually important. :rolleyes:

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts

·
Outcast
8,589 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:
Arrrrrrrrgh
Same thing happened to Scubapro. Rock Shox sent him a new fork.
Larry's, on the other hand, won't stay down. Set it to 115mm and it slowly creeps back up.
So far mine is still performing flawlessly (fingers are crossed)
Rockshox 2007: The new weaksauce.
Please pass me another serving of Marzocchi! :D

·
Registered
281 Posts
tscheezy said:
I bottomed my Pike coil too easily even after switching to a stiffer, and I think sort of harsh, spring rate. I just bottomed the Highline's Totem coil all over the place. I don't get it... ?
I gotta ask: did you have to use a lot of pre-load to get the ride height where you wanted it? If so, the spring rate was too low.

If that's not it, then Jayem (bless his soul) is right. The progression needs to be adjusted with oil height. If the manufacturer says not to do that, then the fork not worth buying. I've 'tuned' dozens of motocycle forks (motocross and road race) and oil height is always very inportant.

·
Bodhisattva
10,833 Posts
Stradissimo said:
I gotta ask: did you have to use a lot of pre-load to get the ride height where you wanted it? If so, the spring rate was too low.

If that's not it, then Jayem (bless his soul) is right. The progression needs to be adjusted with oil height. If the manufacturer says not to do that, then the fork not worth buying. I've 'tuned' dozens of motocycle forks (motocross and road race) and oil height is always very inportant.
Totem preload is non-adjustable

·
Registered
281 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:
Totem preload is non-adjustable
Really? On a Totem coil? That would be totally unacceptable.

The RockShox websight says for the Totem coil:

Target Weight* 2857 g (6.3 lbs)
Spring Fixed Coil
Spring Adjust Preload
[...]

·
Bodhisattva
10,833 Posts
Hmmm....maybe I'm wrong. Preload not adjustable on Lyrik & Pike and I heard no mention of preload adjust on Totem. I've played with a Totem but didn't take note of a preload adjust.

Looks like I may have fell victim to the old adage,when you ASSUME you make an ASS out of U and ME
:D

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
No external preload that I could find on the Totem. The preload on the u-turn Pike was also not adjustable. I talked to a RS tech about it and he said they had originally batted around the idea of a ~2" MCU stack inside the coil spring itself that would act like a rear coil shock's bottomout bumper, like they apparently had back in the psylo forks. The idea never made it to production. With the air forks you can put oil on top of the air piston to reduce that volume, but that does not help with the 2-Step issues unfortunately.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts