Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Press Release

Intense Cycles Selects TRACER VP as the name for their new Trailbike

After reading through over a thousand name suggestions, Intense has selected Tracer VP as the name for their new trailbike. There were many great suggestions but unfortunately most of the really good ones were already registered by other manufacturers. The original Tracer was one of Intense's most popular models, in its day, and was a Bike of the Year winner. We feel like the new bike is a worthy successor to the Tracer model line and represents the next generation of Trailbike.

We will be announcing the lucky winner of the "Name That Frame Contest" shortly.

Paul Cusick
Director Sales and Marketing
Intense Cycles
[email protected]

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,835 Posts
NZSpokes said:
Kind of a let down really.
Yeah considering the original Tracer was a XC machine. And this one is more of an all mountain machine. I don't get the correlation between the two. I was leaning more towards a name that resembled there old all mountain machines like the UZZI- SL and SLX. but whatever.....:confused:

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,835 Posts
EGF168 said:
Well that's just stupid, it's just a name and doesn't the ride count for something?:skep:
Yeah when I purchase one I think I will have some decals made of the name I originally came up with to replace the Tracer VP decals. :) Let's see how they like that.:)

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
Makes sense. Name recognition and nostalgia are big selling points. "Tracer" definitely has some street cred. Hard to believe only one person came up with it though.... even with the VP tacked on.

So, time to cough up your suggested names guys. What did you submit?

Mine was "Khopesh". It's an ancient Egyptian double edged sword. I thought the weapons theme plus the double utility of the two-edged sword fit.

I also debated submitting: "Sappara", "Rapier", "Abbasi", "Basilard", "Hunga Munga", and "Babanga" (all two-edged knives or swords).

Creativity just doesn't get you anything anymore.

OOOh. I like the looks of that bottom link. It appears to be one solid piece of CNC'd aluminum and with that solid, thick cross support should be stiffer than the current one.

·
Dude, got any schwag?
848 Posts
I submitted Stryker, which is an all purpose military vehicle. Also threw down Grail, cuz it is for me the Holy Grail of the trail.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Gotta like the Intense name and products. But what was the point of the "name the bike" contest? Not saying that the TRACER wasn't/isn't a great bike. Just really plain for a new design breed of frame. Just kinda makes you wonder if the whole thing was not part of marketing the new ride. Either way. I know I did not win. Still looks sweet.

TT

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Not a bad name: it sort of makes sense. Just not all that NEW.
(and I bet the competition got the bike some attention)

I suggested ".357", as in a handgun calibre that is pretty strong but not exactly wrist breaking.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had proposed "5.56"
- High velocity, small(-ish) calibre (compared with Uzzi, M1, etc)
- Indicates the travel

Tracer works too :thumbsup:

Was also hoping that they had an option to put the regular Intense headbadge rather than the FRO one, its a little bit more classical...

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
perttime said:
Not a bad name: it sort of makes sense. Just not all that NEW.
(and I bet the competition got the bike some attention)

I suggested ".357", as in a handgun calibre that is pretty strong but not exactly wrist breaking.
Wow, agree that it is kind of a let down, I thought the tracer was on the way out. I guess their choice makes the bike appear more xc, but whatever, tracers probably made intense like a bigillion dollars, and still a sweet looking bike. I suggested straferVP

I think 357 was taken by Haro Bikes?

I think we're all pissed off for losing. The winner best not rear his dumb head!

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.