Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 267 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
nice, geo looks good. but after owning ripley v4 for past year, i am not going back to 27.5 anytime soon.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Not sure if it's a typo/spec mistake, but the base model for $4500 looks pretty great. Factory suspension front and rear, and there doesn't appear to be an upcharge to swap the dropper to the BikeYoke (almost definitely an oopsie with the code). Rest of the spec is solid.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
he Mojo 3 was lauded for its ability to climb anything. Part of that might have been the 2.8s and low pressure that most of the initial reviews used, but I question the maneuverability of a reach and wheel base that are 46mm and 47mm respectively longer than my HD3. I trust in ibis, but I'll need to rent this thing.

Also read this on another site: That slack head tube angle is coupled with a 37mm fork offset for the 140mm travel suspension forks.

My current fork is 44mm offset...I always forget this, would I expect my steering to be quicker or slower based on this?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Looking at the specs, am I understanding this correct? The Mojo 4 medium numbers look as though it's all around bigger in every way then the Mojo 3 Large? The sizing chart recommendation though has not changed. So if I'd be on a Mojo 3 large wouldn't it make more sense to get a Mojo 4 Medium?

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
he Mojo 3 was lauded for its ability to climb anything. Part of that might have been the 2.8s and low pressure that most of the initial reviews used ....
2.8 tires were just a wrong marketing direction taken by the industry 5-6 years ago. They make you climb slower (and arguably go slower anywhere) on any conceivable terrain with the exception of sand dunes.

Otherwise the new incarnation of the Mojo is almost identical to the old one with the exception of the seat tube angle that is steeper by close to 2 degrees. The head tube angle is just, and wisely, one degree slacker obtaining asset that could be easily achieved on the old Mojo with an adjustable headset.

I thought Ibis was going to go the route of the HD5, that is a longer fork (150) and a bit more rear travel (133-135), but it has not happened and I am sure they have good market based reasons.

But frankly it looks like the idea of "upgrading" if you already a Mojo 3 is a bit silly ... unless you are already maxed out on the forward position of your seat and you are REALLY craving to move it forward ... knees be damned! :eekster::skep:

I was not really looking at a new bike, very happy with the HD3, and this is not really moving me in a different direction. It is nice to see that the industry is stabilizing. "Upgrades" and "changes" are very minor and arguably have no impact on the performance on "new" bikes vs "old" ones.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Looking at the specs, am I understanding this correct? The Mojo 4 medium numbers look as though it's all around bigger in every way then the Mojo 3 Large? The sizing chart recommendation though has not changed. So if I'd be on a Mojo 3 large wouldn't it make more sense to get a Mojo 4 Medium?
The effective top tube is only slightly longer than previous, 23.5 vs 23.7" for Medium, so seated pedaling is still about the same. The bike NEEDED to grow in the Reach and WB IMO. I'd go with the same size you had.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The effective top tube is only slightly longer than previous, 23.5 vs 23.7" for Medium, so seated pedaling is still about the same. The bike NEEDED to grow in the Reach and WB IMO. I'd go with the same size you had.
But his has grown, a lot. If the medium is almost much larger in every way vs the older large.

Wheel base and reach alone of the new medium exceed the Mojo 3 extra large.

·
Ride, Race, Live
248 Posts
I'm on a custom HD4, and have been waiting for the Mojo 4 to come out.
I rarely use all of the 160 up front, or 153 out back.
I like to climb up dumb sh!t so I was thinking that maybe the M4 would be a better fit to my riding style, and it might.
Instead of working I've been comparing the numbers
https://archive.ibiscycles.com/bikes/past_models/mojo_hd4/
https://www.ibiscycles.com/bikes/mojo-4?mc_cid=f61222ea37&mc_eid=7552b32b8e
past models for you all to reference
https://archive.ibiscycles.com/bikes/past_models/mojo_3/
https://archive.ibiscycles.com/bikes/past_models/mojo_hd3/
I still haven't completely correlated how X geometry number equals Y feeling on the trail, but I understand some of it.
Comparing to my bike (Lg HD4) the new M4 has a little shorter chainstay, a decently longer reach, a slighter shallower HTA, slightly lower BB height, and little longer wheel base.
These things equate to a more stable bike descending especially at higher speeds.
Other numbers of interest. Much taller stack, again a slightly longer wheel base, and of most interest 5mm more trail.
These to me mean it's harder to make the turn on the ridiculously tight switch back, or up the "WTF you're going to ride up that" rock climb.
Or maybe I'm totally wrong and someday when I can ride a demo model I'll be proven so.
One thing I can't tell from the pictures, and don't see as an option is running a X2 shock.
I know this isn't supposed to be a shred sled, and I'm not suggesting it is.
But ...
If you're a rider that can feel changes in suspension set up then once you get used to adjust-ability of an X2 and how it can feel, how do you ever go back?
I just got my 2019 X2 back from Fox and had it set to the Ibis recommend "light" compression tune that came with HD4's as a factory option (I got this frame on a deal directly from Ibis after I broke my HD3 see this thread https://forums.mtbr.com/ibis/hd3-cracked-frame-lower-bottle-cage-1115989.html)
After some tinkering it's so good. Oh so good.
I'm not in a hurry to get a new bike, and I'd like to see how people react to this one.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
^^^The new M4 has a slightly STEEPER HTA than the HD4. 65.4* vs. 64.9*.

Reactions: dan23

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
The M4 has updated geometry. It will ride slightly different than the M3, but fit pretty close to the same and probably ride with the same overall attitude. Probably more comfortable to climb, and a bit more stable on the downs, while maintaining its playful character. Should just go try one, instead of obsessing over the number changes.

I bought the 5010v3 over the M3, because I liked the newer geo a lot more. I liked the DWL more, but the better geo overrode that. The M4 is exactly what I wanted... 2 years ago.

·
EDR
10,041 Posts
Looks good. I see no compelling reason to 'upgrade' my current M3 though, certainly not at $3k. Loving this bike with a 150 coil up front and a float x2. Capable and nimble/fun at the same time.

I'd try one out for sure if I was in the market for a "new" bike but this is an update...and that's not a bad thing.

·
Registered
528 Posts
This is a logical update to the Mx lineup and I'd like to try one, but I can't help but feel a little bit of "that's it?". I guess I was hoping for some interesting tidbit, like the ability to change a link and run it as mullet. Something to set it apart a bit.

On a shallow note, I am not crazy about the blueish color (but would need to see it in person). The white is ok, but I always like having a black option. Boring I know, but I like how easy they are to maintain because I usually keep my bikes for a while.

I love the spirit of the Mojo line and want them to be successful and I am glad ibis pumped some fresh life into them. I am eager to hear more ride reports from folks.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Agreed, this is a solid update but nothing too flashy. Geometry, link/bushing hardware and tubes-in-tubes to match the rest of the line. All very predictable, which is great given how good the rest of the Ibis line is. Not certain there's a huge market for shorter-travel 27.5, but for those looking for it this seems like an excellent option.

I wonder if Ibis will actually add a new model in the near future, and if so what that will be. True XC racer or super-Ripmo seem obvious niches to fill.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is a logical update to the Mx lineup and I'd like to try one, but I can't help but feel a little bit of "that's it?". I guess I was hoping for some interesting tidbit, like the ability to change a link and run it as mullet. Something to set it apart a bit.

On a shallow note, I am not crazy about the blueish color (but would need to see it in person). The white is ok, but I always like having a black option. Boring I know, but I like how easy they are to maintain because I usually keep my bikes for a while.

I love the spirit of the Mojo line and want them to be successful and I am glad ibis pumped some fresh life into them. I am eager to hear more ride reports from folks.
I think Ibis designs bikes for a purpose and not multiple purposes. Right or wrong. just seems they don't get on board with chips and dual wheels sizes.

I agree about the blue. More tolerable than the freaks' shark bite, but still not great. I was really hoping for the darker blue like the SL years ago. I like the off-white.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Either this or the new 5010 due to be release in the next 6 weeks will be my next bike.

Geo looks bang on - i just hope those numbers are accurate at Ibis always come up really small.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ibis Mojo 4 geo is almost exactly the same as Bird Aether 7. I’d expect the new 5010 to fall in line as well.

I’d expect it to really come down to D-W link vs Horst vs VPP preference at that point.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Looks like a solid update to a classic. I'm glad they kept the travel the same. Pair it with a Ripmo in your stable and you can cover just about any type of riding. It looks like the standover height is missing in the specs.

The blue reminds me of the ink color from Santa Cruz a few years back, only not as dark. I would likely go with that over the white. Not a fan of white bikes, but some cool decals could make it tolerable.

1 - 20 of 267 Posts