Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Kill your... television
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This time it is Jeff's brand new personal bike with the WTB prototype rims. Sorry, no studio pics. Just good ol' fasioned huckin!

Attachments

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Man....whenever he rides...he looks like he's having so much fun...last year at Sea Otter I was chasing him down for few miles about 10 miles into the course.... seriously...every bump, jump, berm, and hip...Jeff would in someway be tweaking, airing, lifting...He rides like a 12 year old who just got his 1st bike...excited and energy-filled...I seem to see the same thing even in the still shots....

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
great shots (as usual)

i agree with Padre; JJ always seems relaxed and in a state of "flo" with his bike and his surroundings. and i used to live in s. Oregon, so i can tell you that flowing through those trails equals being one heck of a rider. no wonder he looks like he's having maximum fun in every pic! my favorite thing about riding trails with others is following a really good technical rider and seeing how they flo' through sections and how they create their own lines. then i try to mimic them and grab some flo' for myself! :D

question; do you know any more about those WTB protos? they look really clean and have a cool shape/profile to them. and they look to be disc only (which is where it's at in my book).
keep on sharing great stuff with us, moto!

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
I'm going to request the boss to rename this into the Tease Forum!

Notice how we only get frontal shots of Jeffs personal bike? I'm pretty sure that's his new design secret thingy he's probably going to launch at Sea Otter. Can't be anything but HOT, I'm convinced.
The ultimate tease is that we maybe can tell something from the shado in that last pic...

That WTB rim looks to be some 30mm wide, cool!

I like how WTB seems to have the monopoply in supllying seats for hot 29" prototype bikes, anyone else notice that? Unfortunately extremely hard to come by here, the plain crmo SST WTB seats I once owned gave me speed and endurance, I never found a real equal. WTB deserves to get more from this movement in return for their all-changing support. I hope they'll sell tons of those rims.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Alex TD17's are that as well, available in 32h and 36h even.

Oh, and the Rigida Taurus 2000's as seen stock on early BeOne models, which are lighter and wider. A buddy of mine recentely got some for a new wheelset for his Rig.

The WTB's looks to be one step further though, a good mach for the brutal Exiwolf.

I still wonder how Stan's 550g FR rim would turn out in 29". Light, wide, tubeless-specific, disc-only, hmmmm...

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
Wait...

Can someone tell me why a 650 gram, NON EYELETTED rim is a good idea? How much weight/complexity are the eyelets going to add at that point?!? You sure don't see 26" freeride or DH bikes with non-eyeletted rims, eh? For something goofy light like the Stan's rims, fine. But I want eyelets on anything that claims to be beefy!

On a side note, those are some sweet pictures. Who took 'em? The terrain explains a lot about JJ's unconventional design ideas, that's for sure.

-Walt

·
Kill your... television
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think that his wife takes the pictures. I know that sometimes he uses a self-timer. But, i don't think that is the case here.
You are right about the way Jeff rides. He appears hyperactive. Constantly bunny-hopping and kicking the rear tire out. He just looks like he is having a blast. He is the most technically gifted rider I have ridden with.

Perhaps there are no side shots of his current bike because he is keeping it a bit of a secret. I know that he has done something innovative with it.

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
So the spoke holes don't crack so easy.

Eyelets spread the load out on the aluminum (and even then, the spokes still sometimes crack the rim). They are de rigeur on high-end mtb rims.

-W

Moordirt said:
Walt,

Why are eyelets so much better than non eyeltted rims?

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Re-enforcement of a high stress area

Moordirt said:
Walt,

Why are eyelets so much better than non eyeltted rims?
Not Walt here, but I have built a fair number of wheels. Eyeletted rims are good in situations where the stress on the spokes is going to be greater. ie. disc brakes, loaded touring, mtb, etc. Better longevity, because at the point where the spoke nipple wants to pull through the rim, you have the eyelet, which distributes the stress over a greater area, instead of focusing the stress at the spoke hole in the rim, as you have in a non-eyeletted rim. Sometimes a non eyeletted rim will compensate for this by having extra material at this point, such as a Velocity Dyad.

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
info??

who says they are 650g rims?
maybe they are light, race day style wheels, sans eyelets. JJ could just be giving them the ultimate shake down to see what it takes to destroy them.
we could use a light AND wide rim for air volume/low pressures for race day and lighter riding situations. at least i could. ;)

i am certainly curious to know more about 'em. :D

·
I like bikes
480 Posts
Take a look at the eyelets looks like Stan's to me

Cloxxki said:
I thought so at first glnce too, but now you mention it, I can hardly imagine it's NOT a Stan's rim. Hmmmm.....
I have four new Stan's rims at home and will take a look at them. If he is riding like that on Stan's rims..... Yea BABY!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.