Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went riding up in Truckee, California on Sunday 7/8/07. Coming down a fireroad, I went off a small jump on the side of the road and landed it all wrong. My bike washed out from under me and I heard my leg break as I hit the ground :(. Luckily it really didn't hurt too bad.

My bike didn't do too well either, but it's better than me - flat tire, bent wheel, possibly broken front derailleur, possibly bent chainrings. Luckily I'll have 9-12 months to fix it :(

Me laying on the ground, waiting for a truck to come get me. This dirt road is actually a privately owned road with allowed access to hikers and bikers. The owner just happened to be by after I crashed and he drove me the four miles back to my car. He really saved me. My new friends are in the background there:

My leg. Nice, huh? See that red rash on my ankle there? That's where the surgeon needs to cut to put my plates in.

I don't think my foot is supposed to go that way..

All set up on the couch. I got home and my wife had cleaned the house, got me a bunch of food and had my little stereo by the couch, a bunch of stuff saved on the Tivo, my laptop, my book, etc <3:

My x-rays. You can see the breaks spiraling up :\

·
Older than I feel
1,762 Posts
Wow, there's a lot of that going around this summer.

Follow the doc's advice and come back stronger next year!

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Jeez! Sorry to hear about another unfortunate incident.

The pic of your leg I thought was your wrist bent!

·
Fart smeller
Tell us what parts you're using.
18,175 Posts
Ooh, not good.

Heal "quick."

fp

·
Registered
624 Posts
Ouch!!

Damn Matt!! Sorry to hear about your crash and injury!! That's too bad. You weren't riding alone were you? You hardly ever ride your mountain bike by yourself.

I found out yesterday that I have 2 broken ribs. I was preriding the Downieville XC course last week and went down hard and at a pretty good speed. Too much front brake caused my front wheel to wash out on some loose dirt on 3rd Divide. Went down hard on my left shoulder. I immediatley checked to see if I had broken my collar bone. But other than a sore upper left arm, I thought I was o.k.

My ribs and arm were sore the next day but I just thought they were bruised. The rib pain just got worse in the following days. My wife finally got me to the doctor yesterday and Xrays confirmed 2 fractured ribs. Doctor said no riding for at least 6 weeks.

I have been riding my bike on pavement. It only hurts when I hit bumps or stand up and have to use my arms. I tried a short dirt trail near my house yesterday. No way, it hurts too bad!!

There sure are alot of injuries going on this year. :eek:

That break in your leg looks pretty bad.:eekster: How long did the doctor say till your all healed up?

Anyway, good luck to ya. Take it easy and heal up!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brainstump said:
Damn Matt!! Sorry to hear about your crash and injury!! That's too bad. You weren't riding alone were you? You hardly ever ride your mountain bike by yourself.

I found out yesterday that I have 2 broken ribs. I was preriding the Downieville XC course last week and went down hard and at a pretty good speed. Too much front brake caused my front wheel to wash out on some loose dirt on 3rd Divide. Went down hard on my left shoulder. I immediatley checked to see if I had broken my collar bone. But other than a sore upper left arm, I thought I was o.k.

My ribs and arm were sore the next day but I just thought they were bruised. The rib pain just got worse in the following days. My wife finally got me to the doctor yesterday and Xrays confirmed 2 fractured ribs. Doctor said no riding for at least 6 weeks.

I have been riding my bike on pavement. It only hurts when I hit bumps or stand up and have to use my arms. I tried a short dirt trail near my house yesterday. No way, it hurts too bad!!

There sure are alot of injuries going on this year. :eek:

That break in your leg looks pretty bad.:eekster: How long did the doctor say till your all healed up?

Anyway, good luck to ya. Take it easy and heal up!! :thumbsup:
Sorry about your ribs, man :(

I wasn't riding alone - almost never do, especially not on HITG :). I rode with my neighbor and we met up with a group of people who were riding up there also. That's been my favorite part about riding HITG - I've met two seperate groups of people that were awesome and helpful.

The surgeon was saying I could probably get going on a stationary bike in about three months, maybe some light road riding in six months and to stay off my mountain bike for a minimum of nine months, more likely 12 :(. By then I'll have been injured and off my bike for almost the same length of time I've been seriously riding. Sucks.

·
MarkyMark
1,352 Posts
Holy cow! Heal up and make sure you're 100% before you get back on the bike. The trails will still be there and you'll have a bunch of friends watching out for you.

·
Mtbr Founder
34,662 Posts
From what I see, you've got a great attitude. That is what's going to get you through a tough one like this.

Keep the spirits up and come back stronger and happier than before.

francois

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey Matt,

Sorry about the accident. Great post accident photos! You should be healed up and ready to ride hard by the beginning of the next Prairie City race season :thumbsup: . Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Mark

·
sunnyside up
1,193 Posts
bummer and a half! Eat your wheaties, now and heal up fast.

Patty

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Funny thing about the hair is that I hadn't even taken a shower and that was after 16 miles of riding. Guess you just can't deny sexy

·
Master of '80s BMX tricks
1,075 Posts
Ahh-ooooh!!

J said:
At least your hair didn't get messed up there, slick.

Heal fast.
you all but stole my thought.
When i looked at the picture, the line from the song 'werewolves of london" (Warren Zevon) immediately ran through my head,
"saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's
His hair was perfect"

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Little Ti bling never hurts ;)

Well getting it installed, that another story. Heal Up. Despite doctor recommendation I started riding (pavement) is 2 month and back on dirt 3 month. Don't push it tho.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts