Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Don't mess with a 29er
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't have a winter without a winter bike project. As a proud owner of a Banshee Paradox, I decided to make a cool bike even cooler...

I started with this:

Not only did I plan to make my bike unique, I also wanted to have the HammerSchmidt! I don't like front deraillers and think the plenetary gear set is a great concept overall. Also, in my case the tire clearance of the Paradox was not that great (I use Rampages on Gordo rims with a SLX front derailler) and the HammerSchmidt help with this. That being decided and with a clear picture in my mind of what the project should end up to, I ordered these:

While I was waiting for the parts to arrive I brought my frame to a guy I know from our German MTB forum and had him repaint it to CHROMAT. This is an incredibly cool finish with a chrom wet paint base layer and a matt-clear powdercoat. Especially in the sunline, this finish shines (pun intended).

I put everything together last weekend! Of course the rebirth of the Paradox had to have a new name. Voilá, I present you the Banshee Mammut :D

Just wanted to share because I am really proud of how it turned out. Hope you like it, too! Now I am off to make it dirty and test-ride the HammerSchmidt extensively.

·
Can I Borrow Some Style?
281 Posts
Interesting to see you use an Outdoor company name for your bike, but I love it either way! Let us know what you think of the Hammerschmidt

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
cmooreboards said:
Interesting to see you use an Outdoor company name for your bike...
Well, technically, it's the Genus that the species Mastadon belongs to. If you take it in that context I can see the resemblance...

Attachments

·
Don't mess with a 29er
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
hahaha... well, for the lack of other stickers I went with that of the outdoor company. Also, with its fat tires and the overall size (XL) the bike sure looks bigger than your average 29er HT :D The name Mammut fits after all, I guess...

After the inaugural ride yesterday night I'd like to share my initial thoughts on the HammerSchmidt:

- First off, the shifting process is unbelievably quick and smooth. I can shift while standing, backpadelling and under full load. I had to forget my learnings re. front shifting though - you don't have to anticipate the trail anymore and adapt your gears accordingly. I now just shift when I feel I need to. This is especially comfortable on the ascents. Coming from a flat section I can start pedalling up the hill in the overdrive mode (i.e. high gear with 36t) and once it gets too steep and pedalling becomes too difficult I just lightly push the trigger shifter and take the last part of the ascent conveniently in the small gear (22t). Yesterday I found myself to use my rear derailler less frequently than I did before I got the HammerSchmidt.

- It took me approx. half an hour to adapt to the inverse shifting logic of the trigger.

- When riding real slow so that the noises from the tires rolling on the ground are quite muted I could hear a grinding sound from the overdrive mode. This didn't bother me at all. When pedalling backwards, however, the freewheel of the overdrive is at least twice as loud as the freewheel of my rear hope pro 2 hub:cornut:

- I read about drag in the overdrive mode. I didn't notice it myself on yesterday's ride. Maybe I will, once I get more used to having the big benefits of the HammerSchmidt.

- I don't know whether this is due to the platform pedals (i.e. more options for positioning my feet) or the slightly wider Q-factor of the cranks, but I found myself rubbing my inner thighs less often on the big outside bent ot the frame's seatstays. (To my likings, this bent is the only drawback of an otherwise incredible frame.)

So after the first ride with the HammerSchmidt I can savely say that if it proves to be low-maintenecne and troublefree in even muddier conditions than yesterday it most definitely is a keeper. As of now I can't image a better crank set for my needs! :thumbsup:

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
megalow maniac said:
hahaha... well, for the lack of other stickers I went with that of the outdoor company. Also, with its fat tires and the overall size (XL) the bike sure looks bigger than your average 29er HT :D The name Mammut fits after all, I guess...

After the inaugural ride yesterday night I'd like to share my initial thoughts on the HammerSchmidt:

- First off, the shifting process is unbelievably quick and smooth. I can shift while standing, backpadelling and under full load. I had to forget my learnings re. front shifting though - you don't have to anticipate the trail anymore and adapt your gears accordingly. I now just shift when I feel I need to. This is especially comfortable on the ascents. Coming from a flat section I can start pedalling up the hill in the overdrive mode (i.e. high gear with 36t) and once it gets to steep and pedalling becomes too difficult I just lightly push the trigger shifter and take the last part of the ascent conveniently in the small gear (22t). Yesterday I found myself to use my rear derailler less frequently than I did before I got the HammerSchmidt.

- I took me approx. half an hour to adapt to the inverse shifting logic of the trigger.

- When riding real slow so that the noises from the tires rolling on the ground are quite muted I could hear a grinding sound from the overdrive mode. This didn't bother me at all. When pedalling backwards, however, the freewheel of the overdrive is at least twice as loud as the freewheel of my rear hope pro 2 hub:cornut:

- I read about drag in the overdrive mode. I didn't notice it myself on yesterday's ride. Maybe I will, once I get more used to having the big benefits of the HammerSchmidt.

- I don't know whether this is due to the platform pedals (i.e. more options for positioning my feet) or the slightly wider Q-factor of the cranks, but I found myself rubbing my inner thighs less often on the big outside bent ot the frame's seatstays. (To my likings, this bent is the only drawback of an otherwise incredible frame.)

So after the first ride with the HammerSchmidt I can savely say that if it proves to be low-maintenecne and troublefree in even muddier conditions than yesterday it most definitely is a keeper. As of now I can't image a better crank set for my needs! :thumbsup:
i agree! the drag issue is retarded that people are bringing up...they are mistaking the taller gear change for a sensation they blame on drag when in truth, its just a taller gear they need to get accustomed to

nice summary of HS...similar to my observations. And I LOVE the ratchet sound when in tall gear...its loudness is rad

in summary, HS is incredible and i would put on all my geared bikes in a heartbeat if i could

·
bike tester
1,281 Posts
FoShizzle said:
in summary, HS is incredible and i would put on all my geared bikes in a heartbeat if i could
I also wanted to buy a HS but a friend has it on his FR bike and already had to repair it twice this year... i'll wait for the good people at sram to resolve some of the childhood illnesses of this potentially great product.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Wow! That new finish makes the original paint job look K-mart cheep.

The last thing I need is another hardtail, but I'd really like to ride one of those Banshees!

How long did it take to get used to the "look" of the Hammerschmidt? :eekster:

·
Registered
217 Posts
DAVP said:
Wow! That new finish makes the original paint job look K-mart cheep.

The last thing I need is another hardtail, but I'd really like to ride one of those Banshees!

How long did it take to get used to the "look" of the Hammerschmidt? :eekster:
While I do love the new finish on this bike, the White/Black combo is quite striking in person. I thought I was gonna hate it til I got the bike.

Great looking upgrades Megalow. Good luck with your Paradox.

·
Don't mess with a 29er
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I feel it's time for a short update and to share the fun I've been having with this bike!!

First off, I upgraded the tires to a Bontrager 29.3 in the back and a Bontrager FR-3 up front. This combo is night and day compared to the Rampages I ran previously. I can run lower pressures, the dampening in rear has improved, the front tire provides more than enough traction and I haven't had one single flat even though I run tubes (Salsa Gordo rims do not allow for a tubless setup) Also, they seem to roll better, most noticeably on pavement and loose over hardpack :thumbsup:

Second upgrade was a telescopic seatpost - KindShock i950 with remote lever and 100mm of travel. This one is nice. I have opted for this particular model as it comes without a setback seat mount and feels realy solid; no sideways movement, just up and down, steplessly variable.

The HammerSchmidt performs flawlessly so far. The grinding noise in the overdrive mode has increased a bit, but that I don't mind given all the other benefits of this system.

This bike continues to provide for a ton of fun!!!! It shines downhill both on technical descents and on fast and winding gravel roads. Uphill it makes for a reliable climber (only on very very steep sections the relatively high cockpit and the platform pedals makes it impossible for me to ride on). The Mammut truly is a real fun do-it-all bike (I can even crash without hurting myself.... two times allready ;) ) with the exception of racing - for this purpose it turned out a little to heavy.

Thanks Banshee for making this fine frame!!!

That's all for now - have fun out there everybody and get your bikes dirty!

·
Cassoulet forever !
2,260 Posts
Very Nice Andreas,
I think this kind of setup would benefit from the new 120mm talas Fox fork, to lower the front while climbing.

As you already know i have got the reba uturn, but it takes 6 full turns to go from 90 to 120mm, and this is annoying to do while ridding, except when doing the : really long climb, then really long downhill type of ride.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I've been on my paradox for a while now - Reba 120 Team fork - climb some very very steep pitches. Don't feel the need to lower the front ever, in fact I don't think that would be good since it would make those rocks right in the middle of the switchback that much tougher (with the BB height dropping)
I actually find the incredible weight balance of this bike makes super steep switchbacks easy....or easier than any other bike I've ridden these same trails on!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.