Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To steal a well worn title. ;)

Frame's not here yet, but I'll have it within the next few days. You can probably tell that it's a Long Haul Trucker by the wheels alone. Built 'em last night. XT 36 hole, Velocity Dyads with Alpine III's on the rear Drive side and Comps everywhere else. These are some sturdy wheels. I've got some WTB Slickasaurus "Tour" 28 mm wide tires mounted for break in. I'll use wider tires when loaded.

This will also be my first experience with a Brooks saddle. More parts pics to follow.

Attachments

·
@adelorenzo
1,670 Posts
Hey Bob,

Cool, look forward to the pics. I hope you have better luck with the Dyads than me, I've had bad experiences with my set.

Regards,
Anthony

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
anthony.delorenzo said:
Hey Bob,

Cool, look forward to the pics. I hope you have better luck with the Dyads than me, I've had bad experiences with my set.

Regards,
Anthony
I have very little experience with them. I have a 40 hole set on my tandem with almost no riding time because everyone in my family wants to ride their own bike.

What kind of problems have you had?

·
Registered
333 Posts
I didn't like the Dyads too well either. I only got about 2,000 miles, less than a year, of commuting out of my rear wheel before I noticed about 8 spokes with scary cracks radiating from the spoke holes. These weren't the normal short hairline cracks, this was only the racks that were 1/4 inch long or more and noticeably spreading.
I'm about 275lbs. Wheels were 36hole with straight 14ga DTs built by a reputable experienced local builder.

·
@adelorenzo
1,670 Posts
Bob the Wheelbuilder said:
I have very little experience with them. I have a 40 hole set on my tandem with almost no riding time because everyone in my family wants to ride their own bike.

What kind of problems have you had?
I originally had a set built as geared 29er wheels, 36-holes on Deore LX hubs. They were recommended by an LBS, a really bad choice for two reasons:
  1. Width: too narrow for 2.3 inch tires, at least in my opinion, and they seemed to fit very loose.
  2. Durability: They wouldn't stay true worth a damn, especially the dished rear wheel. I had the whole thing re-tensioned and it didn't seem to help.

I put maybe 500 km on those wheels, and a lot of it was winter riding/commuting on packed snow. They didn't get a lot of real MTBing.

I caught the bug and built new 29er (now singlespeed) wheels with Rhyno Lites. Happy happy. Tires fit great and they stayed true.

Since these rims aren't cheap, I decided I would use them on my Crosscheck. I left the front hub laced to LX and re-laced the rear hub on an XT hub, 3-cross with butted spokes.

The rear wheel has been OK so far (~500 km on it) although I have had to adjust a few spokes, it is still on the bike.

The front, OTOH, seemed to have a bad section which grabbed and caused excessive brake shudder on the fork. I tried adjusting pads and truing the wheel but I could never eliminate it. I swapped it out with two other wheels (Sun CR18 and Rhyno Lite) and the problem went away, so that wheel is hanging in my garage now.

On both rims, I have found them to be a little small and bad at holding tires. I have had several different makes of tire blow off those rims, and even the ones that can stay on reliably take careful mounting to avoid the bead popping off.

I don't know if this applies to these rims generally, or if I just got a bad batch.

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for both of the above answers.

I'll keep a close eye on them, then. I might do some local (US) tours this summer after I get everything set up, but I won't be in Timbuktu (this year anyway) so I hopefully will be able to deal with any complications. The current tires seemed to seat OK, but the wheels haven't even been ridden yet.

·
Registered
52 Posts
No Dyad Problem

I've run a set of Dyads, 36 hole on a Waterford Cross and now my Cross Check. Probably well over 3000 miles on them and have had zero problems. I run 36's on them and weigh about 160. I have never had to true them yet. Don't sweat things until you have to. These wheels are fine.

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A few more pics.

I've had a set of bar end shifters waiting for this project that I can't find. It's driving me crazy.

Attachments

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
surlywhore said:
I have those cranks on my Big Dummy, and they work great! I've got about 450 miles on them and not one complaint. Your build is going to be sweet!
Thanks. I liked the 26/36/48 rings and the outboard bearings. I'll have a nice low climbing gear of 26/34 and 48/11 is plenty high for downhills.

I also finally found the shifters! For some reason, I was looking for a grey box in the big pile o' parts instead of a white one.

Attachments

·
Registered
699 Posts
SelfPropelledDevo said:
that front rack will be heck-a-strong... wow

maybe that's what i should have on the dummy
Over 2.5 lbs of cro-mo steel. I put mine on my LHT last week. It's built like a tank and you can certainly feel the weight of it damping the steering when you ride. That being said, it still rocks. :)

·
Registered
333 Posts
SelfPropelledDevo said:
that front rack will be heck-a-strong... wow

maybe that's what i should have on the dummy
That's what I put on my Dummy. First ride with the new front rack this morning.

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's here!

Linseed oil in the frame and fork tonight, build begins tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Down South Yooper
1,010 Posts
Bob the Wheelbuilder said:
Linseed oil in the frame and fork tonight, build begins tomorrow.
Love that color, should be a very classy looking bike.

Are you aware of any issues using the DA Bar Enders with a XTR rear derailleur? I remember the DA stuff had their own spacing a little while back, but they may have changed since I knew anything. Seems lots of people are using them with the Paul Thumbies mounts that it shouldn't be an issue, but I can't get the different spacing issue out of my head.

Plum

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Plum said:
Love that color, should be a very classy looking bike.

Are you aware of any issues using the DA Bar Enders with a XTR rear derailleur? I remember the DA stuff had their own spacing a little while back, but they may have changed since I knew anything. Seems lots of people are using them with the Paul Thumbies mounts that it shouldn't be an issue, but I can't get the different spacing issue out of my head.

Plum
I know mountain front derailleurs don't play well with road shifters, but the rears work fine.

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Solving problems you didn't know you had since 1959...

Last night, I chased and faced the bottom bracket, reamed and faced the head tube and faced the fork crown race. This was likely unnecessary, but the crown race of the last bike (KM) did need facing, so I decided to just go ahead and do it right away this time.

Then I got down to the business of coating the inside of the frame tubes with linseed oil. I figured some of you may want to learn from my obsessive compulsive musings on the problem of tube treatment.

I used linseed oil in my son's Karate Monkey and made quite a mess, so I've been thinking of ways to make the process a little less untidy. To start out, I spread 1 ml of linseed oil on a plastic plate and found it could coat the full 8 inch plate with some left over. Then I measured the tubes on the bike and calculated a rough estimate of the surface area of the inside of the tubes. Just 15 ml of linseed oil should be more than enough to coat the entire bike.

When I coated the Karate Monkey, I used a syringe and used IV tubing from work and pumped the linseed oil into all the various tubes (a lot more than I needed in retrospect), then rotated the frame around to spread the oil. I didn't plug up any of the holes, and the oil ran out all over. This time I decided to tape over the holes after I put in the linseed oil.

First attempt was with clear packing tape. That didn't work, because it looses it's stickiness when it comes into contact with the oil and leaks. Second try was with electricians tape for the smaller holes and Glad "press 'n seal" wrap and tape for the larger. This worked great. I've been able to spread the oil around the frame without it leaking all over. Last time I made my wife angry because the garage smelled like linseed oil for 2 weeks.

Now that I've solved this weighty problem, I'm going to try to achieve world peace next week. Stay tuned.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 49 Posts