Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally it has arrived. Original decals, NOS rollercams and a custom fork from the man himself. I have a full period correct XTR build waiting. It looks like the paint was an orange and black fade with white splatter. Not particular to my taste but I want to stay true to the original artwork. The paint will be done by the Cunninghams at Cycleart. They were responsible for the original design and they still have all the original prints.
Textile Musical instrument accessory Linens Bicycle frame Home accessories

Product Metal Iron Cylinder Steel

Wood Hardwood Metal Household hardware Wood stain

Hardwood Wood stain Metalworking hand tool Metal Hand tool

Metal Grey Composite material Steel Wood stain

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
uno-speedo said:
nice. i would clear coat as is and ride it.
I thought about doing that but having the guy that did the original art right up the street from me kinda sealed the deal. It would cost me almost as much to have it clearcoated as it will to have the paint done.

·
artistic...
7,603 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
Cool frame! Am I the only one who sees fork blades in the chainstays? Or am I off the back, and everyone knew that was the case???
everybody knows.;)

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey anbody know where I can get a seat stay pulley for the front derailler cable? It looks like I could just take a pulley off an old rollercam but I want to get the right part. Maybe QBP? Taking it to CycleArt today to go over some ideas.

·
artistic...
7,603 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
Great, like being the last kid in class to discover the "new" cool band.....:madman: :D
otoh.. maybe i am wrong... i am not a frame builder but if you are going to weld a fork as chainstays and expect the blades to act like passive susp. wouldn't you need the thinest flexiest seatstays? ones you would never place your rear brakes?

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
colker1 said:
otoh.. maybe i am wrong... i am not a frame builder but if you are going to weld a fork as chainstays and expect the blades to act like passive susp. wouldn't you need the thinest flexiest seatstays? ones you would never place your rear brakes?
This is my second Brave e-stay bike. I can tell you that they have more lateral flex than alot of frames. I am not sure if passive suspension was the reason behind using fork blades but I can tell you that my other warrior had a smooth compliant ride that was quite nice but it was one of the later models with an extra brace welded in. That one had canti's and braking always felt solid.

·
artistic...
7,603 Posts
sandmangts said:
This is my second Brave e-stay bike. I can tell you that they have more lateral flex than alot of frames. I am not sure if passive suspension was the reason behind using fork blades but I can tell you that my other warrior had a smooth compliant ride that was quite nice but it was one of the later models with an extra brace welded in. That one had canti's and braking always felt solid.
now you can compare it to your Ritchey which is a benchmark for ride quality.

·
Bird watcher
878 Posts
I may have the original off my Brave - racer that I use to have. If I can find it its yours. BITD I replaced it with spare from a Yeti fro. Theirs were Bullseye made sealed bearing pulleys. You could ask them if they have any laying around. If they ever answer your email or phone calls. It may take me a few days to look for my pulley but I'll let you know.
CT

sandmangts said:
Hey anbody know where I can get a seat stay pulley for the front derailler cable? It looks like I could just take a pulley off an old rollercam but I want to get the right part. Maybe QBP? Taking it to CycleArt today to go over some ideas.

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ckevlar said:
I may have the original off my Brave - racer that I use to have. If I can find it its yours. BITD I replaced it with spare from a Yeti fro. Theirs were Bullseye made sealed bearing pulleys. You could ask them if they have any laying around. If they ever answer your email or phone calls. It may take me a few days to look for my pulley but I'll let you know.
CT
Wow thanks!

·
Registered
571 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
Cool frame! Am I the only one who sees fork blades in the chainstays? Or am I off the back, and everyone knew that was the case???
Actually guys, not fork blades at all.

The stays used in the Brave bikes were a piece produced by Tange specifically for elevated chainstay use. The stay uses an oval top profile that tapers to a round terminus with a thicker wall and butting profile that allowed for more compliance from the center of the tube. The heavier terminus end enabled the piece to be brazed or tig'd to the dropout, providing plenty of material for either slotting or butting. The blades came straight and were hand bent to meet the requirements of the frame size.

Alas, these pieces were popular for only a short time and fell out of favor with the elevated design. When Tange moved from Japan to Taiwan, they left behind 8 city blocks of buildings full of "outdated" dies for the scrappers to deal with.

Bill Grove found a box of these blades in his friends barn, where a lot of the Grove stuff went when the doors closed, and passed them on to me to play with. I found that the length and butting profile is perfect for rigid 29er forks, allowing for an aesthetic tapering desing that can support a disc tab.

Kirk Pacenti is currently working his magic to have these reproduced for me in as close to the original spec as possible and should have them available by early winter...fingers crossed ;) I've included a pic of the blades as a fork below.

So, the Elevated stay that was thought to be a fork blade has actually found it's new home as one...curious how things come to be :p

Hope I didn't take away too much from the original intent of the thread...the FB'd Chief is dead sexy.

cheers,

rody

Attachments

1 - 20 of 88 Posts