Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Old School Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just scooped up the last Large/20" Salsa Big Mama frame from QBP.

I demo'ed a 2009 Specialized FSR Comp 29'er and liked it, but was a bit between sizes on them, and wanted to try and build up something a bit lighter in the parts kit.

09 Rockshox Reba Team U-Turn 100mm, with 20mm Maxle front fork
SRAM X.0 triggers and rear, X.9 front, 990 chain, Sram 11/34 cassette
Salsa Pro Moto carbon flat bar, 11 degree sweep
Thompson set-back version seatpost
Shimano XT crank/bb (hard to beat value and function wise- XTR was too much, even for me).
Moving my new Eggbeater SL pedals over
Avid Ultimate Juicy brakes 160 front and rear for adapter free post mount goodness
Probably spec a Specialized Phenom saddle and Ergon grips

EP'ed a set of King ISO 20mm front/reg rear hubs and a headset.
Going to be handbuilt to the DT 29'er rims.

Not sure on the tires yet, but thinking of Stan'sing them up.

Now to sell off my carbon stumpjumper expert hard tail. . .

:D

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
17,089 Posts
Sounds good

I want to do the same thing -- score a frame and then build 'er up from scratch. Excepting I'll do my best to utilize parts I already own. For instance I've got a set of King 26" wheels that I'll tear down to build 29" wheels around. And I'm going to go 1x8 drivetrain, I do believe.

Anyway, sounds like you're down the road a ways toward building a great bike... please post photos as soon as you can. Thanks.

--Sparty

·
Klunkin' Ain't Easy.
451 Posts
Moots

I am looking at a Big mama too. In size large. Let me know how it fits you. I am 6-1. 210 with a 34" inseam. I also noticed that the Moots Mooto XZ has no rear pivot, and the rocker looks nearly identical to the Salsa...interesting...

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Looks like a nice build. Are you planning on using the DT 7.1? If you're going tubeless, why not use Stan's rims? From personal experience I've found they work tubeless better than the DT 7.1.
Again, should be a great build. Would like to see pictures.

·
Old School Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like DT rims in general, and they cost me half of what the Stans were going to cost. Still I almost got the Stans- but decided to spend the extra money going with the U-Turn/Maxle 20mm Reba fork instead.

I will try and get some pictures up soon as I can.

:)

·
ridin' Mary
359 Posts
azjonboy said:
Are you planning on using the DT 7.1? If you're going tubeless, why not use Stan's rims? From personal experience I've found they work tubeless better than the DT 7.1.
Here's a second vote to avoid DT 7.1s. I swear they are about 1/4" too small in diameter to fit a 29er tire. It takes about 3 hands to keep the tire from falling off when you try to mount it on the rim (seen with multiple types of tire). I wasn't running tubeless then, so I don't know for certain whether DTs hold tires well enough for tubeless. But I rolled tires off them multiple times. I switched to Stans Flows, and they also require 3 hands to mount a tire, but for the opposite reason. Tires fit so incredibly tight that it's quite difficult to get that last few inches of bead over the rim when mounting. Stans did it right!

Can I be the third vote for pix of your Big Mama? :D

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Coolhand said:

I demo'ed a 2009 Specialized FSR Comp 29'er and liked it, but was a bit between sizes on them, and wanted to try and build up something a bit lighter in the parts kit.

09 Rockshox Reba Team U-Turn 100mm, with 20mm Maxle front fork
SRAM X.0 triggers and rear, X.9 front, 990 chain, Sram 11/34 cassette
Salsa Pro Moto carbon flat bar, 11 degree sweep
Thompson set-back version seatpost
Shimano XT crank/bb (hard to beat value and function wise- XTR was too much, even for me).
Moving my new Eggbeater SL pedals over
Avid Ultimate Juicy brakes 160 front and rear for adapter free post mount goodness
Probably spec a Specialized Phenom saddle and Ergon grips

EP'ed a set of King ISO 20mm front/reg rear hubs and a headset.
Going to be handbuilt to the DT 29'er rims.

Not sure on the tires yet, but thinking of Stan'sing them up.

Now to sell off my carbon stumpjumper expert hard tail. . .

Lucky you - that is one blingy bar for sure :cool:

·
Old School Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looked at the Hopes, but was able to get a very solid deal on the Avids- and I have had very good luck with Avid/SRAM stuff.

Thanks for the heads up on the DT rims- I will run a tube if I have to in the short run. Probably going to run a beefier winter tire for the east coast winter riding, then swap it for a lighter tire/stans set up in the spring.

I have my camera with me in case the frame and parts show up today. I will try to get some pictures and weight if they do.

:)

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Sparticus said:
I want to do the same thing -- score a frame and then build 'er up from scratch. Excepting I'll do my best to utilize parts I already own. For instance I've got a set of King 26" wheels that I'll tear down to build 29" wheels around. And I'm going to go 1x8 drivetrain, I do believe.

Anyway, sounds like you're down the road a ways toward building a great bike... please post photos as soon as you can. Thanks.

--Sparty
You'll need some 300mm cranks also won't you?;)

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
Congratulations!! My Big Mama experience...

sjordan72 said:
I am looking at a Big mama too. In size large. Let me know how it fits you. I am 6-1. 210 with a 34" inseam. I also noticed that the Moots Mooto XZ has no rear pivot, and the rocker looks nearly identical to the Salsa...interesting...
I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam and this is how my Large Big Mama fits me. I love how it handles and how I fit on the bike. It's got a nice, long top tube. The only reason I need a 110mm stem is due to the 17 degree handlebar I run, which requires a 10mm longer stem. Otherwise I'd be running a 100mm stem with just about any other bar. Maybe even a 90mm with some bars...

I've heard good thing about the Moots as well, though I haven't ridden one personally. The designs definitely share some similar hard points, though I think that's purely coincidental, or perhaps necessary to accomplish the task of getting the linkage in the right spot for the seatstay path to allow for the rear dropout pivot to be eliminated. There are only so many places on the frame that you can put the linkage in order for that to be possible, which limits the overall configuration you can use. As I see it, that was very likely the biggest reason for the homogeneity in the two bikes' designs.

That said, you can't argue with a great design, and performance doesn't lie on the trail. In this respect, the Big Mama shines. It's a ripper! I've had mine for about a month now, and have enjoyed every minute of our "getting to know you" period.

I'm 155lbs, and I'm only running 90psi in the rear damper. How crazy is that?!! And even at that low pressure, it still pedals and accelerates efficiently. Awesome! And when you engage the ProPedal, the rear-end raises up slightly, and it enters a bit of an "attack mode" stance, yet it still absorbs bumps willingly and readily. That'd be what I'd use on the first or last lap of an XC race, when I was layin' it all on the line, or when I'm on a paved bike path, where the cyclical weight of my legs spinning can get the rear shock to move a bit in its travel. Super sweet! It's like the bike has a bit of a dual personality... In all honesty though, I ride it wide open 90% of the time. It's just when I'm really hammering, especially on pavement, that I ever feel the need to run the ProPedal. Most of the time, on dirt, I'm running it open because I like the composure of the chassis better with the damper open, overall. It's definitely less harsh, and the bike pedals so good, it really doesn't need ProPedal to go fast.

It's amazing how easily I can go from riding my El Mariachi one day to riding my Big Mama the next. The handling is amazingly Salsa-like, if that makes any sense. To Salsa riders, I suspect it will... It's got that trademark Salsa easy turn-in, but it's stable and confident... just what you want on your team going into a fast, sketchy corner.

Good luck, whatever you end up doing, but I suspect a large Big Mama would fit you pretty darn well. I can't complain a bit!

Cheers,
MG

Attachments

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
Coolhand said:

Congratulations man!! Can't wait to see your build. It looks like you're going to do it right!

Enjoy, and happy trails. Hope to catch up with you at some point during the season.

Cheers,
MG

·
Klunkin' Ain't Easy.
451 Posts
Wow. Thanks for all the info. Sounds like its gonna work for me. I had looked briefly at the WFO, but Iam selling a 6.5" bike and have no need for a freeride 29er. This sounds like the hot ticket!

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
sjordan72 said:
Wow. Thanks for all the info. Sounds like its gonna work for me. I had looked briefly at the WFO, but Iam selling a 6.5" bike and have no need for a freeride 29er. This sounds like the hot ticket!
I think you would like it a lot. Several of the Big Mama's primary development riders were in the 200-215 pound range and the stiffness it displays in its handling is phenomenal. It's definitely the best tracking 29er I've owned, and my personal reference point on frame stiffness, Guitar Ted of 29Inches.com, has concurred with me in that it's a good, stiff frame for big, strong "manly men" (and he's in a unique position to understand the needs of such folks... much more so than myself at 155lbs).

Don't get me wrong though, I intend to punish my Big Mama... punish her bad! :thumbsup: bad and good! But yeah, even though I'd love to have a freeride 29er, I have much more need for a four-inch travel 29er. Once I've got that dialed, we'll start thinking about the big bike, but I've gotta' take care of the basics first... It sounds like you're in much the same boat.

Good luck man. Don't hesitate to shoot me a note if you have any other questions.

Cheers,
MG

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.