Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lycra FR's wheels, that is.

Just finished lacing them up. I'll finish them off in the am.

Attachments

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tscheezy said:
Bob, have you ever used Rock 'n Roll Nipple Cream? Any thoughts on it?
I use Wheelsmith spoke prep on the threads and a light grease (currently WTB grease) in the rim eyelets. If I'm tensioning someone else's wheelbuild, I lubricate all the threads and nipples with a penetrating oil like ProLink.

I've never used a wheel specific product for the nipples/eyelets, but it sounds like a good idea. I'm just not sure it's any beter than grease.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
It is actually used instead of spoke prep on the threads. It is like the other wax-based rock n roll stuff but just way more concentrated, and seems to set up faster. You drip a little on the threads and lace the wheel "wet." You can let it dry laced up but untensioned, or go ahead and start tensioning while wet. I think it would perhaps flake off if you let it dry before getting the nipple on. I've built a few wheels with it now and was just wondering if you had given it a whirl.

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I'll have to try it. I've read about a lot of people using antiseize, and my mentor uses Phil Wood oil for the threads.

More pics including my homemade eyelet grease applicator.

Rear wheel's done. Now I'm off for a haircut.

Attachments

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ding wheels are done!

Attachments

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually a Ruger and a large .22.

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
Poor Lycra. He doesn't even know what he is getting. He told me that you were selling him a Hugi front hub! Hadley is even better. He'll be stoked. We'll be sure to thoroughly test those rims this weekend at Little Creek. Pics to follow.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Best place on earth!!

I sure am blessed these days. The BEST group of guys to ride with! Including in this group, is the best wheel builder (IMO). To all the homers out whereever, should really envy us St. Georgians! The wheels look GREAT Bob! I like the HADLEY front hub :rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts