Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
"Look on my works, ye mighty, and dispair!"

As promised, here's a pic of my new Free. Sorry about the low res, camera was set wrong. 52 pounds of pure love!

Parts list:

VP-Free, XL, black-anodized, 550 lb/in steel spring
2004 Monster-T, twin extra-firm (red) springs
RaceFace Diabolus crankset, headset, bar, and seatpost
SRAM shifters, derailuers, chain, cassette
E-13 dual-chainring chainguide/bashring
Hope M6Ti brakes, 8.5" front, 8" rear ("dry condition" pads!)
Goodridge brakelines, "carbon-look"
BMW "Shinburger" pedals
Sun "Doublewide" 36 spoke rims
Hadley hubs
2.8 Mich front, 2.7 Minion rear, semi-DH shraeder tubes
Hope seat clamp
WTB "Power-V" seat (looooong)
"Old Rasputin Russian Ale" kickstand :)

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
My preciousssss....

That's a badass bike. Mind if I ask how much it cost you to build it?

·
Registered
287 Posts
52 lbs good lord!!!

Sumo-class Rider said:

As promised, here's a pic of my new Free. Sorry about the low res, camera was set wrong. 52 pounds of pure love!

Parts list:

XL VP-Free
2004 Monster-T
RaceFace Diabolus crankset, headset, bar, and seatpost
SRAM shifters, derailuers, chain, cassette
E-13 chainguide/bashring
Hope M6Ti brakes, 8.5" front, 8" rear ("dry condition" pads!)
BMW "Shinburger" pedals
Sun "Doublewide" 36 spoke rims
Hadley hubs
2.8 Mich front, 2.7 Minion rear
Hope seat clamp
WTB "Power-V" seat
"Old Rasputin Russian Ale" kickstand :)[/QUO I guess my bullit aint that bad! Nice kickstand though. I'll see your ale and raise you a 40! (There would be a pic here but the 40 got me thinking"..too much trouble to take a pic, 40 won't fit under the bike, couch is calling me...) So how does it ride?

·
Registered
337 Posts
OMFG dude, do you know any thing about bikes? Why would you want a 52 pound bike. Did you grow up in SUV heaven or somthing... hmm Maybe your a.... Chunky individual... yeah that's right CHunky... I'm sure a 200 pound guy does not have to drag a 52 pound bike around... What fun is there in riding a heavy bike like that. I had a 53 pound bike once, It only lasted me 2 months then had to sell the Damn thing because it was way too heavy for my weight class. Note to self do not mix heavy bikes with light people nore light bikes with Heavy people.

·
Registered
962 Posts
And after the second day he created the vp-free

Very sweet. Glad to know if I ever see a 3" deep trench in the trail, the knowledge of you being close by will be comforting.

·
Shiveriffic
103 Posts
Your bike is Schizophrenic

Look, don't get me wrong; that is a mean machine, but the VP-Free is a lighter weight DH capable rig. You have made a monster of that VP! Your fork and wheelset belong on a bike ridden by Bender. I have to admit, I run Double Wides (I like to call them Double Heavys); they are heavy as hell and about as soft as butter (not worth their weight). I reckon you should sell you wheelset and forks on Ebay, and get yourself an 888 and some sun double tracks. Your bike needs to lose about 10 pounds. Just my two cents.
Cheers
~Gary
Hey if that bike isn't heavy enough, how about the ride below?

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Too many girly-men on this board!

Bike rides great! Only issue is the lack of rebound damping in the fork, but that is being fixed. On trails it absolutely blazes! In fact it's so fast that I can't think fast enough to pick lines, so I just hang on and plow through/over obsticles (and girly-men riders that get in the way).

This bike pedals like a dream, I kid you not. It may be a little slower getting to the top, but once there, the fun begins. This bike is really meant to be a shuttle and lift-assisted bike, not an XC bike (that's what my Joker is for). But the two-chain rings, VPP suspension, and full length seattube (almost) make it climb-capable. I've done several 1,000 ft climbs with it so far and it only takes at most 5 minutes longer (for the same pedalling effort).

As to the rims, you are probably right, I was going to go with D321s (or whatever they call them now), but the Doublewides just looked so pimp with the frame I couldn't resist :)

As for the 888, it's a flimsy POS that has way too high of axle to crown height. The Monster is over an inch lower and sets up a perfect head angle with the XL Free.

By the way, the XL Free is huge, bike has a 49" wheelbase.

So for all you non-girlymen out there, this is the perfect heavy-duty freeride bike.

·
/dev/null
720 Posts
Looks sweet! Nice and heavy duty.. except those butter soft rims. When you destroy them, go with some Mavics or Arrows and never look back :D - or some non-Doublewide Sun rims (Mag30s maybe).

Ignore the idiotic naysayers... If they don't want heavy bikes, they don't have to ride 'em.

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
Sumo-class Rider said:

Nice ride. man, 52 lbs is like 1/3 my body weight.....

Too bad the photo is of the bike beside a pool. Should be leaned up against a couch no?

post some pics of you riding that beast!

TJ

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Weyvoless said:
Hey Dusty, how does that Fox compare to the 5th element? Why the switch?
I switched because the DHX is an option from SC, and my lbs let me swap out since I only rode the 5th for 2 weeks. Having never ridden a 5th previously, I can't really give a detailed comparison between the two shocks. What I did notice was that the DHX activates smoother through the first inch of travel. And having all the adjustments separate and tool free is very nice. The DHX is a 1/2 pound(.420)lighter than the 5th Element, both with steel springs.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's not a beer.....

it's a kickstand (see bottom of parts list for brand).

Seat is angled down a lot for pedaling uphill. Keep in mind the Free "squats" quite a bit when loaded and pedaled, due to the VPP design (no bob though). The angle makes it easier to sit on the front of the seat on the ups to keep the weight forward. On the downs, the seat is dropped all the way to the seattube, so it's not it the way. This bike is not a beach cruiser, it's built for steep ups followed by steep downs, with not much in between. Plus jumps, etc.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Padre said:
Hi Dusty,
good to see you visiting here over from the socal board.
That board makes my head hurt.

Beautiful rig. How big a fella are you? I ride an XL bullit and I'm trying to gauge the comparative size...
Hey there, I'm 6'3" 200lbs. The top tube and seat angle are virtually identical between the XL Bullit and Free, so fit should be very similar. But the wheelbase on the Free is 3 inches longer! The wheelbase hasn't bothered me yet, and is confidence inspiring at high speed, not sure how I'll like it on skinnies tho! :)

I would go on the Santa Cruz site and compare the numbers between the 2 frames.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts