Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
And Now For An Intermission (Cue Elevator Music)

Since a couple of people have asked, I thought I'd put some photos of the new Crank Brothers Cobalt SL and Cobalt Ti BB bling that will going on the RX in a day or two. The worst part about this stuff is the fact that the BB is so gorgeous and such a work of art that it will almost be a sin to encase the thing in aluminum where it will never be seen. Maybe I'll put a picture of it on my hadlebars just for effect! :D









 

·
Bike to the Bone...
Joined
·
8,290 Posts
CranxOC said:
Since a couple of people have asked, I thought I'd put some photos of the new Crank Brothers Cobalt SL and Cobalt Ti BB bling that will going on the RX in a day or two. The worst part about this stuff is the fact that the BB is so gorgeous and such a work of art that it will almost be a sin to encase the thing in aluminum where it will never be seen. Maybe I'll put a picture of it on my hadlebars just for effect! :D
Very, very pretty.. almost as the Race Face Deux in silver. Both are top notch in looks, I don't know how they work. Keep posting :)
 

·
screamer
Joined
·
1,385 Posts
Careful ... I see a couple of fingerprints marring the perfect finish there. May I suggest wrapping it in a plastic baggy before taking it out onto the trail?

Those folks at CB sure know a thing or two about design. Absolutely beautiful!
 

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
Wow... breathtaking...

Don't worry, if the ISIS craps out, SKF makes an Isis bottom bracket that works. ;)

May weight a few grams more, but the thing it's a tank or so I've read.
 

·
Ti is addictive
Joined
·
2,894 Posts
Wow, lighter, stiffer, is it Cheaper then XTR........if so and the bearings on ISIS don't crap out then you got yourself a winner and holyshiznit it looks amazing...........
 

·
Paper or plastic?
Joined
·
10,627 Posts
It's real purty. Hopefully, in another 3-4 years, they'll come out with the outside bearings version. It's almost a shame to dirty this work of art.
 

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
zorg said:
It's real purty. Hopefully, in another 3-4 years, they'll come out with the outside bearings version. It's almost a shame to dirty this work of art.
Who? SKF or CB's?

It was hilarious that just when SKF launched what were arguably the best BB's on the market... the industry standard changed to outboard ... :lol: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TiEndo said:
Wow, lighter, stiffer, is it Cheaper then XTR........if so and the bearings on ISIS don't crap out then you got yourself a winner and holyshiznit it looks amazing...........
Retail for the CB Crankset/BB combo is about $80 cheaper than the new XTR set and it's about 50g lighter so - as you said - if the ISIS BB holds up, these things will be an incredible value (especially considering what I paid for them ;) ).
 

·
Paper or plastic?
Joined
·
10,627 Posts
I was thinking CB. I use their pedals, and I like what they do, but I don't see myself going back to an ISIS BB. I'm with you on the SKF BB. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All Mountain said:
That's a great looking crank. I've been staring at one for a few years in catalog wondering what they were about. Are those inserts for the pedals ?~?
Which inserts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All Mountain said:
maybe it's just machined... the ring around the threads for pedals.
You are correct. No inserts just machining...glorious, beautiful machining! :)
 

·
Ride Everything
Joined
·
2,913 Posts
TiEndo said:
Wow, lighter, stiffer, is it Cheaper then XTR........if so and the bearings on ISIS don't crap out then you got yourself a winner and holyshiznit it looks amazing...........
And the q-factor is narrower than many of the popular outboard-bearing cranks. If you shop around on eBay, you can get the cranks and (CroMo) BB for less than the retail price of the cranks alone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
guys I tested them on a parking lot ride a few weeks ago and the shifting were flawless.Didn't even felt the crankchange till it became apparent in the heavier stroke.It was installed on a Spot belonging to LBS. Mucho good and also mucho in dineros! Oh by the way I am in South East Asia, and ride a motolite...............THE only bike a rider ever needs.:thumbsup: :band:
 

·
Hueston Woods Trail Crew
Joined
·
1,844 Posts
se asia?

alexyeohsy said:
guys I tested them on a parking lot ride a few weeks ago and the shifting were flawless.Didn't even felt the crankchange till it became apparent in the heavier stroke.It was installed on a Spot belonging to LBS. Mucho good and also mucho in dineros! Oh by the way I am in South East Asia, and ride a motolite...............THE only bike a rider ever needs.:thumbsup: :band:
Cool. I wonder what kind of exotic music your icon band is playing.

How's the trail systems where you ride? What other vehicles or animals do you have to share them with? Good mt. bikes shops anywhere?

As for the cranks-I like the looks of the bottom bracket even more than the cranks.
 

·
MountainGoat aka OldGoat
Joined
·
832 Posts
Cranx,
They look GREAT. I may have to call BikerBob and ask him about changing them out for the XTR stuff my brother wants on his Exogrid. Do you know if they are available now?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Hi, my moto set up as follows:

Small Frame 2006
ODI ruffian
FSA K Force XC riser carbon
FSA OS 140 stem 90mm
Cane Creek Headset
Rock Shox Revelation 409 with U-Turn at abt 115mm set
Stock RP 23
WTB rocket v
Thomson Elite seatpost
XT crank
XT FD
X9 shifters and RD long cage
Sram powerglide cassette 12-34
XT brake levers
Shimano Saint brakes
WTB Dual Duty 30 mm rims
WTB Laserdisc Lite hubs
Wellgo pedals with clips and platforms
Hope seat clamp
Kenda Nevegal 2.35 front and 2.1 rear

About everything I guess. Having problems uploading pics.Will try again soon.

Our trail systems are pretty much secondary jungles, rubber and palm oil estates. They are muddy full of slopes and roots. It rains a lot here at the tropics makes mud clearance a big issue. Shares the trail with cows, monkeys, snakes and the occasional wild boar. Fixing the Kenda's reverse direction for the rear made my bike about a pound heavier with mud. Stupid of me..........:madman:
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top