Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up these two batteries and the charger with mains adaptor for £105 new..



As you can see from the pictures the charger has a XT60 connector and the lipos have 5.5mm bullet connectors.
Whats the recommendation:
1.Chop of the bullet connectors on the lipos and replace with XT60 connectors? can XT60's handle the charge current?
2.Chop of the XT60 on the charging wire and replace with 5.5mm bullet connectors?

Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
333 Posts
Surely it depends on what you want on the other end? Personally I use EC3, but some people still like deans?

The XT60 can handle over 60A? although the other two are about the same?

One plug is easier than two?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,781 Posts
I have had one of those chargers for a few years with no probs, also managed to get five years from my battery packs via balance charging(DX cells soldered together).

Just decide what you want on the end of you batteries so that they plug into the socket of choice on your lights. Then stick the same socket your lights have on the end of the charger and all will be happy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
I've been fidling around with the same batteries and a similar charger (actually a B6AC). Also had the same problem. The charger has a few adaptors but no one off them is the 5.5mm bullet kind.

I'm not too worried about the amps because I do not intend to charge the batteries faster that 2 A and at least for now I'm sure that no light I have will pull a lot more than 3A.

I got deans, EC3 and XT's. Not sure which one I will choose but the EC3 do look the best ones. A good balance between size and a secure and proper keyed connection.



I would prefer something more water resistant...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,374 Posts
I got an AC6 (similar to that one) a while back with a huge bunch of cables, although unfortunately the 3.5mm jack one didn't connect properly with my MS connector. So I just cut the end off one of the cables I could never see myself using and spliced on a MS male plug. Et voila, I can now charge all of my various battery packs :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bravellir said:
I've been fidling around with the same batteries and a similar charger (actually a B6AC). Also had the same problem. The charger has a few adaptors but no one off them is the 5.5mm bullet kind.

I'm not too worried about the amps because I do not intend to charge the batteries faster that 2 A and at least for now I'm sure that no light I have will pull a lot more than 3A.

I got deans, EC3 and XT's. Not sure which one I will choose but the EC3 do look the best ones. A good balance between size and a secure and proper keyed connection.



I would prefer something more water resistant...
If you have the thick wire like on my lipo's, thinks its 10awg. I read that it will not fit in the xt60 connectors..
Can you confirm this?

Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
333 Posts
Dont think so, just did a quick google and people are having fun with 8 gauge, mostly around having too low a powered iron. I'd swap for EC3 or 5. They are only a couple of quid on eBay.
 

·
Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
Joined
·
1,555 Posts
Personally I like the Dean's connectors. I guess it didn't hurt that my Battman charger came with Dean's so it made sense to standardize all my batteries on that connector. Espeically with some of the higher capacity batteries like the Turnigy pictured you're going to have a heck of a time soldering the 10 guage wire to anything smaller than a Deans connector so I'd suggest going with them. All my lights use Magicshine cables from the light head back to the battery so I just cut off the end of the cable and solder a Dean's on. Once you've standardized like this then it becomes easy to put things inline with the battery to monitor power and voltage.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
333 Posts
I think it just comes down to preference, any of the connectors are ok, 10 can fit in the EC3, but EC5 would be easier. A lot of the RC guys are dropping deans for EC3 for right or wrong.

Get both and try them out :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
333 Posts
bravellir said:
I've been fidling around with the same batteries and a similar charger (actually a B6AC). Also had the same problem. The charger has a few adaptors but no one off them is the 5.5mm bullet kind.

I'm not too worried about the amps because I do not intend to charge the batteries faster that 2 A and at least for now I'm sure that no light I have will pull a lot more than 3A.

I got deans, EC3 and XT's. Not sure which one I will choose but the EC3 do look the best ones. A good balance between size and a secure and proper keyed connection.



I would prefer something more water resistant...
You know it is going to be a serious light when you start to worry about it pulling more than 60 amps!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
Goldigger said:
If you have the thick wire like on my lipo's, thinks its 10awg. I read that it will not fit in the xt60 connectors..
Can you confirm this?

Cheers
It won't. I even had trouble soldering it to the deans connector ( I started by using deans while I waited for the other connectors to arrive from ebay )
I had to cut part of the wire to make it thinner and easier to handle.
I don't believe this is a problem, again, because it won't be anything close to 60A passing thru that cable. Even after I modded the wire, it still had a larger section than the connector anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MrLee said:
I think it just comes down to preference, any of the connectors are ok, 10 can fit in the EC3, but EC5 would be easier. A lot of the RC guys are dropping deans for EC3 for right or wrong.

Get both and try them out :)
Are you heat shrinking any of your EC5 connectors in any way?

From reading the net, most people seem to be swapping the 5.5mm bullets for these.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
333 Posts
Goldigger said:
Are you heat shrinking any of your EC5 connectors in any way?

From reading the net, most people seem to be swapping the 5.5mm bullets for these.
Currently have EC3 heat shrinked on the outers just to give strain relief, you don't need to do internals like you do with deans -

 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top