Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got the last bits for the bike, and well without further ado...

My modern classic - it's got 8 speed with thumbshifters, bull horn Scot At-2 bars, and a square taper crankset.

Attachments

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,408 Posts
Looks good

Strong work on that one. Ah, for the days of 8 speed...less bent cogs, and less broken chains.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Finally got a ride on the bike...

Finally got a few miles on the new bike.

This thing is quick, because that can't be from me! I'm still messing with the adjustments... resetting the Zocci and the Fox to terrain and my weight, but initial impression is...Wow. Feels right about the same weight as the last bike (right around the 25 pound mark) but feels much faster, if not a bit lighter.

The bike is smooth and tracks very very nice. I was on a new trail (to me) last week and the bike kept begging to go faster. I was on the brakes a bit hard a few times because I was listening to that sweet temptress.

And after several different bikes over the past few years, getting one that fits right is a revelation. It's like it's taking the best bits of the past couple of bikes and mixing them all together.

More later! So far the bike's been spoiled too... been on trails in Brown County IN, Winona Lake IN, now just gotta get it to Ft Custer. :)

JmZ

Green Giant said:
Strong work on that one. Ah, for the days of 8 speed...less bent cogs, and less broken chains.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
looks great jmz.....your pic does a great job of capturing the flake in the paint. Nice 8spd setup you've got there ...i'm running 8spd xt pods and and xtr m900 (11-32) cassette on my salt also. Tough to beat the durability of the older 8spd stuff isn't it ?

Single row of bearings ???

thanks for sharing !

later, Chad

·
Registered
761 Posts
Nice work

I still love my Fuego, even if it is missing its shock and lives a lonely existence in my loft next to a stack of vintage Playboys and a can of cutting oil. The handling is perfect for tight singletrack and it always felt plusher than its 3" of travel suggested it should feel.

I'm surprised more people didn't buy this frame.

feel the gin

JmZ said:
Finally got a few miles on the new bike.

This thing is quick, because that can't be from me! I'm still messing with the adjustments... resetting the Zocci and the Fox to terrain and my weight, but initial impression is...Wow. Feels right about the same weight as the last bike (right around the 25 pound mark) but feels much faster, if not a bit lighter.

The bike is smooth and tracks very very nice. I was on a new trail (to me) last week and the bike kept begging to go faster. I was on the brakes a bit hard a few times because I was listening to that sweet temptress.

And after several different bikes over the past few years, getting one that fits right is a revelation. It's like it's taking the best bits of the past couple of bikes and mixing them all together.

More later! So far the bike's been spoiled too... been on trails in Brown County IN, Winona Lake IN, now just gotta get it to Ft Custer. :)

JmZ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.