Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this a Zaskar? and was it made in the USA. I purchased this just recently from a man who has owned it for the last nine years. Bought it off someone who came down from USA with it.

It has a serial number on the left back dropout

so im guessing it was made march 1991.

It has a flat end on the top tube.

Not too fussed if it isnt as shes pretty awesome either way. But it was a bike I lusted after years back. So would be nice to know I actually own one now lol. And when I say "I" I mean hubby as its too big for me :(

Attachments

·
I excell at wrecking
9 Posts
That looks more like an older avalanche. I am not sure hopefully someone with more knowledge will answer, but that sure looks alot like an older version of my bike. And wtf is the specialized sticker on there for?

·
Registered
258 Posts
It sure looks Kosher to me. GT used two gussets on the tall models. Have the hubby get it into shape and ride the heck out of it!

I have a '92 Zaskar and have had a blast building it and riding it.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
It's a March 1991 production of Zaskar. 21 inch model (I think) with extra gusset on both top and down tubes (standard for XL frames). That "made in USA" sticker is genuine, I have never seen one reproduced anywhere. Congrts, you have landed on the real one. First generation to boot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
St.Zu said:
That looks more like an older avalanche. I am not sure hopefully someone with more knowledge will answer, but that sure looks alot like an older version of my bike. And wtf is the specialized sticker on there for?
Yes I thought the same thing about the specialized sticker lol..;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Triple triangle, no stickers. That frame can be anything you want it to be. 6061 T-6 probably is a Zaschar I didnt think the older Avalanches were T-6, which is aircraft grade. I am no expert though

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
Mustang6147 said:
Triple triangle, no stickers. That frame can be anything you want it to be. 6061 T-6 probably is a Zaschar I didnt think the older Avalanches were T-6, which is aircraft grade. I am no expert though
Serial number is a dead give away on this one. No other aluminum models were being produced at that time period with a serial number dictating the month and year of manufacture. The only other flat top tube cap aluminum frame hardtail that GT ever built was the 1992 Pantera and their serial numbers started with an "H" meaning that they were made at Taiwan-Hodaka one of the better high end bike factories in Taiwan. The 92 Pantera's cametock in Silver and Red and had a Suntour spec. People have been known to strip the paint and polish them and try passing them off as Zaskars to sell them at a higher price but once somebody asks the seller the serial number their party is over. Have probably seen a hlf dozen to eight over the years listed that way some I may have seen twice. Pantera's were also 7005 tubing. The only other hardtails GT made in 6061 were the 1997 Avalanche LE and the 1998 Avalanche and Avalanche LE.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts