Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just couldn't wait to show it off any longer. Even though it isn't finished yet.

I've been (not so) patiently collecting parts for a new build for quite a while. The changes to the new frames helped push me into action. The tax return didn't hurt either. Got the approval from the finance manager, IF I could reduce the other bike inventory around here to cover 1/3 the cost.

Partially to clean out the house of X+1 bikes, partially to offset the cost of a new bike. Had to agree, otherwise the kids are going to be sleeping on the couch soon, as I take over their rooms as a workshop.

I was orig looking for a X-5, but the only color left at Competitive Cyclist was the green. It just wasn't me. The home ship had a few X-5's left too, but figured I'd have an easier time looking used. Put up a wanted classified. Got a few interesting choices, but had someone let me know about the sale of the Ciclon at Competitive. I don't know how I could look at the page at CC twice a week for a couple weeks straight and NOT notice the Ciclon next to the X-5. Object fixation? Maybe.

So within a few mins, the order was placed. And last Thurs, a frame box arrives at the house. The El Feugo now has a big brother. It's going to be built up as a longer travel do anything bike, but with my special choice of parts.

Started the build, but have not decided on a BB just yet, so the pics are a little incomplete. I'll post up a few more when it is completely finished.

JmZ

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and a parts list if anyone is interested:

Frame: Ventana El Ciclon
Fork: Fox Float R
Wheels: Hope Pro II / DT Spokes / Sun Equlizer 27 Rims / Ritchey Tires
Brakes: Avid BB7 180/160
Shifters: Paul Thumbies
Brake Lvrs: Paul Love Levers
Seatpost: Salsa Shaft
Headset: Interloc
BB: In question
Crank: Middleburn
Mech - Front: XT
Mech - Rear: XTR
Pedals: Eggbeaters

Still don't know about stem yet. Might have to play around with lengths. Starting with a 110 on the front and going to see how it feels. Have a 120 laying around, amd may have to get a 100 and a 90.

JmZ

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mtnbiker4life said:
where old skool meets the modern day trail bike. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Although, I am not sure about those handle bars......might be a liability :skep: :skep: Did you pick the Ciclon up on that nasty close out sale Competitive is/was having?

As you say, old school. Changed to riding the integrated bars years back. So I've got 'em on all the bikes. If I need more rise, it'll be the stem that gets swapped and not the bars. :)

And I succumbed to the CC sale. One in my size for $750. Even if it was stripped down with single bearings and a base shock, still would have been a hell of a deal.

JmZ

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Color is the Superdust. It is a bit darker than the El Feugo.

Brake levers are indeed Paul's, they worked good on the other bike. And the rotors are Hope. Seemed appropriate with the hubs. Went with a steel freehub on the rear too.

And the blue camo tape. Embrace the blue! I was hoping to do a Shark Blue X-5, but as above... :(

JmZ

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
Love IT! That there is definately a JmZ Build!

Where did you source the bars, I would LOVE a set of bars for my commuter/Flat bar roadie?

-A

·
Mmmm Rocks Good
645 Posts
Nice Build!

JmZ said:
Color is the Superdust. It is a bit darker than the El Feugo.

Brake levers are indeed Paul's, they worked good on the other bike. And the rotors are Hope. Seemed appropriate with the hubs. Went with a steel freehub on the rear too.

And the blue camo tape. Embrace the blue! I was hoping to do a Shark Blue X-5, but as above... :(

JmZ
Nice build JmZ! Not sure if you remember me, met you at Ft Custer for a ride when I had my El Chamuco? I'm still on a Ventana but it's an El Capitan built up burly for rock riding and beating on rocky trails here in Pa! Take care and have fun on the bike. I may be visiting near Ft Custer this summer. I'll let you know for a possible reunion ride!

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,680 Posts
"Where did you source the bars"

What he said!

I'd love a set for the back of my Tandem...that you jealously will know is Shark Blue.

·
Registered
242 Posts
JmZ said:
Oh and a parts list if anyone is interested:

Frame: Ventana El Ciclon
Fork: Fox Float R
Wheels: Hope Pro II / DT Spokes / Sun Equlizer 27 Rims / Ritchey Tires
Brakes: Avid BB7 180/160
Shifters: Paul Thumbies
Brake Lvrs: Paul Love Levers
Seatpost: Salsa Shaft
Headset: Interloc
BB: In question
Crank: Middleburn
Mech - Front: XT
Mech - Rear: XTR
Pedals: Eggbeaters

Still don't know about stem yet. Might have to play around with lengths. Starting with a 110 on the front and going to see how it feels. Have a 120 laying around, amd may have to get a 100 and a 90.

JmZ
Great looking build you have there so far, especially the Paul levers. ;) Can't wait to see the finished bike with the Middleburns. Thank you again for the turbines.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And Finished Pics

Time to mess around with suspension settings and the like. Any places to start for a 210-ish rider?

Otherwise other than a few patches of clear duct tape to stop cable rub, it's done.

Pretty respectable weight too. Swapping a wheelset should bring it down if I want a XC ride on the bike.

Short test rides around the neighborhood:

Feels different than the Feugo. I'm more riding in this bike than on it. Small ripples just disappear under this bike. Going to have to figure out suspension settings all over and do some reading on the RP23 and Float to get the most out of them.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.