Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Slothful dirt hippie
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No kid, no pics, 19+ miles... it's mostly dry, although still a few gummy places in the shade of the coulee walls and around the little bog-holes Shigs took us through last spring.

Nothing 'firm' about it though. Maybe it's just early in the season, maybe it's just that I was on my old heavier/80mm travel/narrow tired backup bike, but it sure felt like it wasn't going to give anything up for free this time 'round.

Still... lovely to be riding out there in mild, windless weather while looking back across the river at snow on the hills.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Some more dry weather to firm things up and I think this might be some good early season riding. From the pictures I saw searching other threads on the area it looks like there is some techy stuff here and there. And given the recent dump of snow in the high country it may be a while before we can get to any of that stuff, a low land alternative would be nice.

Gary

·
Slothful dirt hippie
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's mostly fine right now, just not speedy.

The tech aspect of it is mostly about not hitting random basalt chunk in the middle of the trail, beside the trail, or hiding in a chunk of overhanging sage brush. I took some teeth off my big ring out there last year, have seen a lot of serious pedal stress-testing (including my own), and even saw Shig take a good dive when he pedal-clipped a hidden rock in the bush.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Ha! Thought that was your rig in the lot but Seth was swearing up and down that you had different wheels on it.

Hard to believe that we're still up to our butts in snow while the A.L trails, aside from a few mud patches, are getting sandy. You know, just once I'd like to ride that out-n-back in the second coulee without all the friggin' rocks in the trail. (I should have brought the 29er) Do horses have to be trained to kick in rocks from the sides of the trail? Still, it was bike time and all bike time is good, especially when it was almost t-shirt weather.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Almost flower bloomin' time in the desert... see y'all in the rain shadow! planning to do something weekend after next (2nd & 3rd). Ancient Lakes more than likely... nothing carved in stone though, waiting on the weather...

Looks like everything got a good soaking last few days... maybe a little more to come this week. Will make for a good flower season when it dries out!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Anybody know how conditions are looking out there right now? We should be picking up my wifes new bike on Friday and might be looking to get it dirty this weekend.

Gary

·
Slothful dirt hippie
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like it might be staying a little drier than we are.

I'd really like to hit it this weekend, just dunno if the grandparents are going to be able to watch the kid...

·
Registered
333 Posts
I came through George/Vantage about 7:00pm this evening, mid 60’s sunny and wind blowing like he!!. Should be drying out a bit, Friday looks like it’s gonna be sunny and dry, maybe a little rain Saturday.

·
Slothful dirt hippie
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gary- we've got clearance to ride on Sunday, which looks like the money shot for the weekend since the wind should be down.

And CONGRATS to your wife on New Bike Day! :rockon: Be sure to tell her she's welcome to call me ANY TIME for a ride, even if it's just a little toot down the IHT with the kid on the trail-a-bike some evening as the days get longer.

P.S. Holy crap the river's high and full of new wood...

·
Registered
333 Posts
Rr: 4/2/2011

The wife and I went out there for a short ride (had to get some dirt on her new bike). I was surprised how well the step was shielded from the wind that was raging everywhere else. Conditions are good, maybe even getting a little dry. We headed down the two-track that parallels the river and about 2 miles in the horses had broken up the crust a bit and it was getting pretty sandy. Not bad but added a bit of drag. Here are a few pics, including a post ride new dirty bike shot.

This was also the first real dirt excursion for my new bike, I can't say whether it's the FS or the 29er wheels (I'm coming off a 20 year old rigid 26"), but I really love this bike, super smooth and lots of fun. Can't wait for some more tech terrain to thaw out.

Gary

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.