Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
more beers, lees gears.
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a buddy of mine picked up a used bike (with out my help). Turns out the old gary fisher from 1999, has some super old school brakes.

Check these out.

No markings other than the hayes logo.
They bolt to the frame with a 1" or so mount.

Any hope for an adapter to get some newer brakes on here?

·
Official ***** Idiot
333 Posts
Disc-O mount, I believe. That's an oldie.....I'm not aware of any adapter that was made to fit newer, IS or 74mm post mount brakes to that mount. You can check with Trek/Gary Fisher, but don't get your hopes up. This may work as well, scroll down to AD-PMR, make sure your frame mounts are 22mm. You'll have to buy a bigger rotor for the brake you get......make sure the front rotor is the same size or larger. Don't go smaller in the front. The only other option is to see if you can find one of the old-school bolt-on mounts, I'm not really having any luck finding them. Mounts on the rim brake boss and runs down to the dropout, adding a 51mm IS mount to a frame with no tabs.

·
Official ***** Idiot
333 Posts
Agh.......I'm not sure if that A2Z adapter will work, larger sized new brakes may smack into the seatstay. As long as you stay with smaller XC brakes, you might be fine. That's assuming the frame mounts are 22mm center to center.

·
Registered
353 Posts
That's a Hayes G1 22mm direct mount caliper. They are like hens teeth to owners of Trek/Gary Fisher/Klein model year 1999/2000 frames.

Parts from the later G2 caliper halves (pistons, o-ring seal, bolts, pads) can be used to service the G1 if required.

My advice is to keep the G1 caliper and replace the front brake with a newer Hope unit. You could then mate the G1 caliper with a matching rear Hope brake lever. Also, respray the caliper if you don't like the grey colour.

This is a more elegant and easier solution than using an adapter to mount a caliper.

·
more beers, lees gears.
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys. That helps to know the model so we can find parts later. Personally I dont know why my buddy bought this bucket. Bought it sight unseen, and has dumped 3x more money into it than its worth. At this point all thats left from his ebay full bike build is the frame and this rear brake.

Im sure once there is a real problem or service need with the rear brake, i'll advise him to simply move all his pretty new parts to a new frame.

·
more beers, lees gears.
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the a2z link. Thats gonna help me with another bike frame i have in the garage with no rear disc mounts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.