Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Anatomy of a KING: Sultan Stoke

5K views 41 replies 24 participants last post by  Skeptastic 
#1 · (Edited)
Just a bit of Sultan Stoke...my 2011 XL Sultan showed up today! And just built it up...I originally ordered a RAw frame but they ran out in XL, so I picked the Black on Black...and so glad I did, as it looks steathly!:thumbsup:

Just looking over the frame- the workmanship, attention to details, and welds look stellar, the Black ano. with laser etching is very tastefully done.

I previously sold my Pivot 429 a few weeks ago, as I wanted a bit slacker angles, and more travel....but didn't want to give up the benefits the 429 had to offer, so the Sultan was a natural transition. In addition, I didn't see the any benefit waiting for the new crop of AM style 29ers coming out, when the Sultan is a proven product and ready to go now.

I've got my whole parts group from the 429 ready to install with a few changes- 44 Ti 140mm, new BB, Headset, and still need to pick up the correct Ft. Der. yet... I'll continue to post the progress!

I gotta say, having just built it....I'm not a fan of the cabe routing and having to use Full Length Housing....Hopefully that will change in the future.

Just a shout out to DT and Jarret at Turner! Thank you!
:D

:thumbsup:Just Returned from the Maiden Voyage::thumbsup:

A quick 10 mile loop, nothing very chunky, but lots of singletrack and transitions....I ride I rode my 429 many many times....
Overall I was surprised how smooth it rode, in fact I had to stop a check to see if the O-ring on the shock was even moved (of course it was:madman:)...but it just flowed thru without notice of so much of the trail and isolated any impact or jarring to me...almost without much feedback, which to be honest I had expected and wanted? more feedback...

The Sultan is super quiet, along with that smoothness (perhaps thats part of the smoothness is being quiet). The Geo with the 140mm fork felt good and very stable, yet it tracked precisely, althought a hair slower than the 429 I had. The rear end felt very planted without any noticable bob either seated or standing (propedal was off) and just mowed over stuff without much weight transition or momentum loss. Also climbing steeps it felt very controled, not really much weightlessness of the front (I expected more, due to the 140mm fork, instead it was pretty firm).
The Sultan feels like a 429 on steriods, but with less bob and about double the travel...can't wait to hit some real chunk:D

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm curious as to how efficiently the Sultan pedals compared to the 429. I'm a happy 429 owner but the Sultan is also being considered as upgrade for next season for the same reasons you listed. If only CDale would make a 120mm travel 29er Lefty! THAT would make a Sultan a no brainer for me;)

#10 ·
I own an '09 Sultan and rode both a 2012 Sultan and Mach 429 at Outerbike. Pedaling efficiency is very similar on all three and I had great difficulty getting the rear wheel to slip as is the case on my '09 (rode the 2012's ~4 hours each). I'd give the Pivot a slight edge since its rear triangle has one less pivot point though the way it was readily apparent to me was a less plush ride than either Sultan. If you want a more "active" ride, 429 is da bomb. For my 40+ bones, a plush ride is preferable and the difference in pedaling efficiency is negligible.

#6 ·
There is a lot about the Sultan that I like. Pretty much everything but the deal breaking 18.2" CS length, that is.

If DT were to shorten the CS length to 17.7", or less, he would sell so many that it would be shocking.

FWIW I have a Bandit 29 on pre-order. I would have for sure thrown down the extra coin for the Sultan if not for the CS issue.

#13 ·
There is a lot about the Sultan that I like. Pretty much everything but the deal breaking 18.2" CS length, that is.

If DT were to shorten the CS length to 17.7", or less, he would sell so many that it would be shocking.
There's a shiny spot on the backside of the seat tube on my 2011 XL Sultan. I run a 29x2.4 Ardent on the rear, and I don't know if it's tire or trail dirt stuck to the tread that put it there, but I don't think those chainstays could get any shorter. And I don't want them to be any shorter.

Once, twenty years ago, I told a local, well-known framebuilder exactly how I wanted him to build a mountain bike for me. I told him tube diameters, frame geometry, colors, everything. He did exactly what I told him to do. It rode like crap.

I trust Dave Turner and Dave Weagle to figure that stuff out. I love my Sultan. It's my "fun" bike, and it rocks.

Morgan, pretty much a homer

#9 ·
Nice Dude, very nice. I think you'll like that a lot and although it may pedal similar to your 429 I think it's gona put a whole lot more smiles on your face, especially on the downs ;)

#11 ·
Plushness isn't the issue for me just yet. I'm riding more and more aggressive stuff and am starting to regret not getting a 120mm bike. The 429 is awesome 90% of the time but I've bottomed it out a few times doing large drops. I might just pick up a used Sultan over the winter and try it out:)

#15 ·
Oh wow , the black ano version looks way more spiffy then my new plain jane raw frame ! :D I dunno much about E expert geo specs.....I just know I dig the ride after being on a 09 Sultan for three seasons ! TIG.
I actually prefer the raw frame. But then I did order my new frame with the pewter finish instead of the black.

About the E expert comment: I have been riding a longish travel 29er now for five years & well over 10k miles. It has 17.7 inch chainstays. Based on that real world experience I know that I prefer that my new build have stays that long or shorter. Yes, I have had time on FS 29ers with over 18 inch stays.

#22 ·
Me Too! I should have it built up today and I'll post some more pics......;)

preview of build:
American Classic 29 MTB Tubeless wheelset
Specialized Captains tubeless
Thomson 80mm/0 stem
Havoc Carbon 750mm
Joplin post
xt crankset with xtr bb
xo shifter/ x9 der
xt ft. der
xl10sl chain
xtr 11-34 cass

:thumbsup:

#25 ·
Just finished the build...to dark for decent pics(just posted new pics at the top)...hopefully tomorrow Pre-Ride!

Two comments...not a fan of full length housing...and I wasn't aware the post depth was limited (which isn't a huge deal, but I would like to run the Joplin near the top of extension, rather than 1" shorter...may have to pick up(or trade for) a shorter Joplin...
The one thing I have yet to install is a RWS needle bearing kit for the top shock link....waiting as I may pick up a Monarch RC3 Plus...as I am yet to be very impressed by any RP23...the Zoke 44 Ti is superplush!!

But all in all it looks great and built up super close to the same weight as my previous 429....can't wait to ride and get it all dialed in!

#26 ·
I just got a warranty replacement Reverb, the longer one and it did not want to go into the frame (XL 2011) deep enough to get my saddle at the right height. (82cm saddle to bb center) There was an interference with about 1cm to go, but I was able to push it the extra 1cm to get it right.

Is it a hard stop or just resistance?

Yes, this post is starting to sound ridiculous.

Morgan

#30 ·
I've had my 2011 XL for a few months now, fit with a Rohloff and a tapered 34mm Fox and a Reverb Seatpost it's a hefty 33.1#, but it climbs like stink when seated and bombs thru rocks. Couldn't ask for a better full sus bike here in rocky hilly SoCal. I don't know anything about short seatstays or whatevs, but I can't imagine a 29er climbing techy rocky *****-steep terrain better than this one, and I've had a few of them including my Merlin Jones Spaceframe, a Behemoth, a Milk Money, and a few custom Black Sheep hardtails. It's a winner.

Attachments

#35 ·
Wow, the Turners are coming out of the woodwork. Love it! Informative post for me as I'm ready to buy a 29er and have narrowed it down to the 429 and the Sultan. Just Demoed an XL 429 and loved it. I'm considering pre-ordering a 2012. The Pivot guys set up the 429 and it was so plush it was a little hard for me to get used to, and I would have tightened it up if I'd brought my shock pump along. But definitely loved it and laughed at the rocky descents. Fact is, I don't really need a 5" rear-travel 29er for the trails I usually ride. But if it doesn't hurt the climbing and handling...why not? Also, I lust after the lines on the Turner, while the 429 does not do a whole lot for me visually.

WIth the Sultan, I've got to go with a 2009 or 2010, as I want a long top tube (but don't want a 23" seat post). A raw 2010 is calling me. Love the straight tubes and unfinished aluminum - very industrial (opposite of a Speshy, right?) Anyway, the 09 / 10s appear to be rarer than hens teeth.

Decisions, decisions.

#40 ·
Not hugely lighter (~425g IIRC for the AM rims which I have) but very stiff, definitely noticeable on climbs. I've had these for a couple of years and they've held up well, never had to true them (I built them myself using CX-Ray spokes). I use tubes since I'm not a fan of ghetto tubeless so I'm not saving much (if any) weight, but just like the Sultan, weight really isn't the issue...performance is, and these things are great. When I was transitioning to this bike I had to use a Bonty Duster rim on the back for a month or so, and when I swapped out the Rohloff internals to this wheel the difference was absolutely, instantly noticeable. You really have to try them to feel it.

#37 ·
Not 2XPneu, but I do have a set of those rims on my Sultan. And they complement it very well. They're not the lightest rim you can get, but I can't imagine that I am capable of damaging them without damaging myself very badly in the process. They were very confidence inspiring when I was plowing through Souther Utah chunk and I could muscle the bike through terrain with little to no perceptible torsional flex when the wheel wanted to hang up in ruts.

The wider AM rim with lighter tires (e.g. Racing Ralph) makes for a pretty fast rolling setup with a nice, wide contact patch that's going to be lighter than most XC wheelsets.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.