Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Can't wait to see it built up.
Me Too! I should have it built up today and I'll post some more pics......;)

preview of build:
American Classic 29 MTB Tubeless wheelset
Specialized Captains tubeless
Thomson 80mm/0 stem
Havoc Carbon 750mm
Joplin post
xt crankset with xtr bb
xo shifter/ x9 der
xt ft. der
xl10sl chain
xtr 11-34 cass

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Just finished the build...to dark for decent pics(just posted new pics at the top)...hopefully tomorrow Pre-Ride!

Two comments...not a fan of full length housing...and I wasn't aware the post depth was limited (which isn't a huge deal, but I would like to run the Joplin near the top of extension, rather than 1" shorter...may have to pick up(or trade for) a shorter Joplin...
The one thing I have yet to install is a RWS needle bearing kit for the top shock link....waiting as I may pick up a Monarch RC3 Plus...as I am yet to be very impressed by any RP23...the Zoke 44 Ti is superplush!!

But all in all it looks great and built up super close to the same weight as my previous 429....can't wait to ride and get it all dialed in!

·
bicycle rider
2,718 Posts
I just got a warranty replacement Reverb, the longer one and it did not want to go into the frame (XL 2011) deep enough to get my saddle at the right height. (82cm saddle to bb center) There was an interference with about 1cm to go, but I was able to push it the extra 1cm to get it right.

Is it a hard stop or just resistance?

Yes, this post is starting to sound ridiculous.

Morgan

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I just got a warranty replacement Reverb, the longer one and it did not want to go into the frame (XL 2011) deep enough to get my saddle at the right height. (82cm saddle to bb center) There was an interference with about 1cm to go, but I was able to push it the extra 1cm to get it right.

Is it a hard stop or just resistance?

Yes, this post is starting to sound ridiculous.

Morgan
:D not sure, I'll have to try it again tomorrow

·
Registered
917 Posts
I've had my 2011 XL for a few months now, fit with a Rohloff and a tapered 34mm Fox and a Reverb Seatpost it's a hefty 33.1#, but it climbs like stink when seated and bombs thru rocks. Couldn't ask for a better full sus bike here in rocky hilly SoCal. I don't know anything about short seatstays or whatevs, but I can't imagine a 29er climbing techy rocky *****-steep terrain better than this one, and I've had a few of them including my Merlin Jones Spaceframe, a Behemoth, a Milk Money, and a few custom Black Sheep hardtails. It's a winner.

Attachments

·
mtbr'er
219 Posts
There is a lot about the Sultan that I like. Pretty much everything but the deal breaking 18.2" CS length, that is.

If DT were to shorten the CS length to 17.7", or less, he would sell so many that it would be shocking.

FWIW I have a Bandit 29 on pre-order. I would have for sure thrown down the extra coin for the Sultan if not for the CS issue.
29erchico - How tall or you/what size sultan frame would you be riding? I'm 6'3" and with a higher center of mass, I've found bikes with longer chain stays to be better climbers for me, especially when seated. Looking forward to hearing what you think of the bandit!

·
T , V , & K Rider
2,342 Posts
I actually prefer the raw frame.

I can live with the raw Sultan besides it was 100 dollars cheaper than the anodized versions on the end of season sale.....after all , mountain bike frames are meant to be ridden and not decorate on mtbr like pimped out ornaments ! ;) Whatever your preference , I have a mtb sportin 16.75 " chainstays which is also fun to ride but for some reason the Sultan with the longer stays handles better than the numbers and I ride it more often ! Its all good and I still think the Black anodized frame is biatchin ! :cool: TIG.

·
Registered
7,601 Posts
There was an interference with about 1cm to go, but I was able to push it the extra 1cm to get it right. Is it a hard stop or just resistance?
Morgan
It is ALMOST certainly residue from the final bead blast. One of the guys at Turner could cheerfully confirm that.

·
rider
2,356 Posts
29erchico - How tall or you/what size sultan frame would you be riding? I'm 6'3" and with a higher center of mass, I've found bikes with longer chain stays to be better climbers for me, especially when seated. Looking forward to hearing what you think of the bandit!
I'm 6' 3" also, but have a short torso because my pubic bone to floor measurement is 36.5". I have really long arms and my femurs are long for a tall guy and this moves the center of mass downward a bit also. I'd get the XL Sultan even though, just like the Bandit, it has an ETT that is 9/10" shorter than my current ride, mainly to keep the wheel base within reason with a 140mm fork. My Monk with it's 17.7" chainstays climbs really well for me, seated or standing.

I'm not getting rid of the Monk, it is a fine ride. Great everyday training bike. Just want a bike with a tapered fork for additional stiffness, a bit more travel and plushness for days with big descending.

Yes, really looking forward to the Bandit 29. I'm gong to yank that Fox rear shock off and slap on a Pushed Monarch Plus RC3 right away.

·
Here, diagonally!
2,097 Posts
Wow, the Turners are coming out of the woodwork. Love it! Informative post for me as I'm ready to buy a 29er and have narrowed it down to the 429 and the Sultan. Just Demoed an XL 429 and loved it. I'm considering pre-ordering a 2012. The Pivot guys set up the 429 and it was so plush it was a little hard for me to get used to, and I would have tightened it up if I'd brought my shock pump along. But definitely loved it and laughed at the rocky descents. Fact is, I don't really need a 5" rear-travel 29er for the trails I usually ride. But if it doesn't hurt the climbing and handling...why not? Also, I lust after the lines on the Turner, while the 429 does not do a whole lot for me visually.

WIth the Sultan, I've got to go with a 2009 or 2010, as I want a long top tube (but don't want a 23" seat post). A raw 2010 is calling me. Love the straight tubes and unfinished aluminum - very industrial (opposite of a Speshy, right?) Anyway, the 09 / 10s appear to be rarer than hens teeth.

Decisions, decisions.

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,366 Posts
Not 2XPneu, but I do have a set of those rims on my Sultan. And they complement it very well. They're not the lightest rim you can get, but I can't imagine that I am capable of damaging them without damaging myself very badly in the process. They were very confidence inspiring when I was plowing through Souther Utah chunk and I could muscle the bike through terrain with little to no perceptible torsional flex when the wheel wanted to hang up in ruts.

The wider AM rim with lighter tires (e.g. Racing Ralph) makes for a pretty fast rolling setup with a nice, wide contact patch that's going to be lighter than most XC wheelsets.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Don't own a Turner, am 6'2", long arms and legs, own a short stay HT (16.9") and I can tell you that I've now made climbs I had trouble with before on longer stays 29ers, especially the more tech the better it is. I should be getting my Banshee Prime with 17.6" stays shortly, so I'll know what shortish stays on an FS feel like.

·
Registered
917 Posts
2XPneu - tell us about those rims? How are they holding up? Much lighter?
Not hugely lighter (~425g IIRC for the AM rims which I have) but very stiff, definitely noticeable on climbs. I've had these for a couple of years and they've held up well, never had to true them (I built them myself using CX-Ray spokes). I use tubes since I'm not a fan of ghetto tubeless so I'm not saving much (if any) weight, but just like the Sultan, weight really isn't the issue...performance is, and these things are great. When I was transitioning to this bike I had to use a Bonty Duster rim on the back for a month or so, and when I swapped out the Rohloff internals to this wheel the difference was absolutely, instantly noticeable. You really have to try them to feel it.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts