Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Hisforever
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bros, I have a question?

I would be stoked with more travel on my 01' Medium RFX Classic!

Is there any difference b/w A&B rocker plates as far as clearance issues when running the 7.5x 2.25 stroke shock? I've been considering an avy chubby for more cush instead of having the vanilla pushed. Currently i have the A rockers which put the BB height at just over 13". This setup is great, but so would another .75.

Can I run a longer shock to yield more travel? will that increase the BB height significantly, or will I even notice? any rubbing issues. sorry just too lazy to search this morning.

Any and all Avy spam is welcomed! :p

Rob

·
Outcast
8,589 Posts
The A rockers are more "sagged" than the B rockers. I believe bulldog couldn't do the 2.25 stroke shock thing because he has the a rockers, but perhaps you should go through his thread and make sure; thread
In this pic, the b rocker is on top of the a rocker. Notice the difference.

·
Registered
9,466 Posts
Renegade said:
The A rockers are more "sagged" than the B rockers. I believe bulldog couldn't do the 2.25 stroke shock thing because he has the a rockers, but perhaps you should go through his thread and make sure.
The other factor is whether the frame is an '01 or an '02 frame. With four variables, it's a lot of guesswork to risk before you lay down cold hard cash for a new shock.

I have a pushed 7.5x2.25" vanilla RC that I used all last summer, it's kick-ass. I am not using it right now, as I'm experimenting with a DHX-air. you got my email, give me a shout, maybe we can work something out so you can check clearances. So far I'm not too impressed with the DHX air, I like the pushed RC better, haven't tried an avalanche yet.

Either way, a longer stroke shock won't affect your geometry long as the eye-to-eye is the same. It will of of course drop your BB lower at full compression.

FWIW, it feels very similar to a standard 7.5x2.0 in the first half of it's stroke; on bigger hits it just has more to offer. I've never bottomed it, despite running the same spring weight I ran on my romic, which bottomed easily.

·
Registered
921 Posts
SHAHEEB said:
Bros, I have a question?

I would be stoked with more travel on my 01' Medium RFX Classic!

Is there any difference b/w A&B rocker plates as far as clearance issues when running the 7.5x 2.25 stroke shock? I've been considering an avy chubby for more cush instead of having the vanilla pushed. Currently i have the A rockers which put the BB height at just over 13". This setup is great, but so would another .75.

Can I run a longer shock to yield more travel? will that increase the BB height significantly, or will I even notice? any rubbing issues. sorry just too lazy to search this morning.

Any and all Avy spam is welcomed! :p

Rob
I've got both A & B rockers (although my A set is away right now getting measured for a 3D machining file) and I think the problem lies with tire clearance on the seat tube.
I know on my setup (DHS 7.5 x 2.25 - '01 med RFX) when I measured for clearance with the B rockers the tire clears the tube but by 1/4" or something tiny like that. With the A rockers you'd have contact for sure.

I'll have the A set back at xmas and could drop them on for measurements if you like.

The A set is great for riding with a smaller fork, with a 5" travel front end the bike felt great for trail riding and still had 6" of travel. The B rockers definitely jack the bike up more. I'm sure you can find numbers on here for bb heights.

Clem

·
~~~~~~~~
5,918 Posts
SHAHEEB said:
Currently i have the A rockers which put the BB height at just over 13".
how am I supposed to trust your surf reports with measurements like that :confused:.

There has been some posts about the avy's and adding spacers, I recall the the 2.25 strokers are used for 2's also? Anyway, I'll help find the threads for you since your internet access isn't very good at your job :p.

We also need to figure out why your rear tire doesn't hit the seat tube like mine does, braaapppp...

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have both 2001 & 2002 RFX frames (medium), I also have all three rocker sets - A/B/5"
Long story short - I did some measuring, on the 2001 frame you CAN'T run a 2.25" stroke shock with the lower bb rockers (type A) the tire will come in contact with the seat tube. I did the measurements so long ago that I don't remember if the type B rockers will solve the problem on the 2001 frame. The type B rockers work perfectly with a 2.25" on the 2002 frame, it will leave .25" of clearence between the rear tire and the front der. cable guide.

I did bolt up the type A rockers to the 2002 with the 7.5x2.25 to try and get the bb lower, but that resulted in tire contact.

and an avy pic just because...

Attachments

·
Registered
921 Posts
The simplest way for you to determine if you can run a longer stroke shock with your current setup is to put the bike in a stand, remove the shock and cycle the suspension up so you drop the top mount hole on your rocker by 2.25". Instead of a 7.5" eye to eye it'll be 5.25".

You'll know immediately if you've got contact issues.

Clem

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Because unlike yourself, I don't know everything about Turners, I don't read through every thread here, and I am not on a mission to give out bad information. I don't know the full specs on the rockers, in terms of their differences, so if you do, do the Homers and potential Homers a favor by posting up some information they may be interested in.

After all, wasn't the Turner board known as the place where helpful and knowledgeable people used to reside?

·
Outcast
8,589 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
Because unlike yourself, I don't know everything about Turners, I don't read through every thread here, and I am not on a mission to give out bad information. I don't know the full specs on the rockers, in terms of their differences, so if you do, do the Homers and potential Homers a favor by posting up some information they may be interested in.

After all, wasn't the Turner board known as the place where helpful and knowledgeable people used to reside?
Sometimes us "helpfull and knowledgeable" people get tired and we recommend that folks use the search feature.
Most of the rfx rocker info can be gleamed from these two threads;
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=118920
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=91501
From this, you, or someone willing to put the time in, can most likely compile and create a database without anything being lost in the translation. Perhaps if you start it, others may be willing to help out. You're asking for folks to put oin time; lead by example. Make the effort, and perhaps others may join you. That's what I'm saying.

·
Hisforever
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RFX Rules!

Thanks for the tip Clem, & Thanks FM for the offer.

Upon measuring the i2i at 5.25" the tire contacted the seatube, confirming what Mike67 found using an 01' Medium frame like I have.

Conclusion:One Can not run a 7.5x2.25" shock to get 6.75" of travel using an 01' Medium RFX.

Maybe the better solution is just to get Pushed and learn to ride smoother or go Big and find an AVY that will fit into the current setup.

It would cost more to go the Avy route than to get Pushed. What to do????

Purpose: everything.
Focus: Jumps/Gaps/Drops. & Flow.

How do you guys measure the BB heights anyway? From the ground to Center?. or from ground to bottom of the BB shell?

·
Registered
921 Posts
SHAHEEB said:
Conclusion:One Can not run a 7.5x2.25" shock to get 6.75" of travel using an 01' Medium RFX.
Not with the rockers you have, there is of course the B set of rockers that would work fine for you should you be able to locate a pair.

SHAHEEB said:
Maybe the better solution is just to get Pushed and learn to ride smoother or go Big and find an AVY that will fit into the current setup.

It would cost more to go the Avy route than to get Pushed. What to do????

Purpose: everything.
Focus: Jumps/Gaps/Drops. & Flow.
Not sure if the Chubbie is a 2.25" stroke with an optional spacer for those wanting to use it with only 2.0" stroke. The DHS is like that so one shock could set you up for now and you'd have the option for additional travel should you happen upon a pair of B rockers at some point.

Can't say anything about Push shocks other then what I've read and they sound great. I've got an Avy .... it's simply amazing.

Clem

·
Registered
178 Posts
I got this pic from the turner board awhile back, forgot who did this? You might be able to still use the 7.5x2.25 shock with your type A plates, just add .25" of shims to achive 6" of travel. If you can find some type B plates in the future, take the shims out. May be worth a try.

The Avy Chubby does come in a 7.5x2.0, so that would work with no mods.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,466 Posts
That was me, and tscheezy's suggestion. They are hose bib gaskets, about .35c at the local ace hardware. I use them to prevent the seat stay yoke from hitting the seat tube under seriously full compression. Works great!

mike67 said:
I got this pic from the turner board awhile back, forgot who did this? You might be able to still use the 7.5x2.25 shock with your type A plates, just add .25" of shims to achive 6" of travel.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I just don't see why you would add the "band-aid" spacers from Ace Hardware when you're ordering a custom Avy shock. Just have them build it specifically to reduce the stroke to 2.0" (this is a real option). If you want to run a DHS with your A rockers, you shouldn't have a problem running them in 7.5x2.0" configuration. Honestly, I've heard a ton of great stuff about Push on these boards and, for the smaller investment compared to the Avy, would probably be a good option for what you're looking to do. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
9,466 Posts
Lucky7 said:
I just don't see why you would add the "band-aid" spacers from Ace Hardware when you're ordering a custom Avy shock.
I only need/use the band-aid spacers with the 5" rockers. With the 6" rockers I can take them off and get the full 6.75" from my pushed vanilla. Works great!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts