Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Your antics have congested my garage once again.

It all started a while back when you tempted me, touting the virtue of the elusive Leviathan.
You posted pictures. You wrote reviews. You kept it under my nose. And I couldn’t help it. I folded. It’s been a year since then, and many many hundreds of miles later on the back of the steed. I’ve loved them all.

Then, you unleashed a dragon. You pulled the covers back on the furious beast Behemoth. You posted pictures. You wrote reviews. You kept it under my nose. And I couldn’t help it. I folded. It’s been 1 day since then, and about 11 miles later on the back of the new steed. I’ve loved them all….TOO.

Mike, you had me at hello.

Attachments

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
#1 Some MTBR cred.

#2 The dog outtake...this was the first attempt...but you'll note the ears pinned back, front legs off the ground in "let's get the heck out of here" mode....she heard the behemoth tipping over and was outta there.... :D

#3 Does it STILL look too big? ;)

Attachments

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
1st ride was today.
Here are some words that went through my mind on my 11 mile ride that involved 7 miles of climbing and about 2 miles of fast/semi-tech single-track and some paved DH.

Wow.
Whoa.
Oh my gosh.
Beauitful.

Hands down, a winner.

It's not an XC bike but it pedals better than my Enduro, my Bullit, my dad's Heckler, etc. It is eager to climb, no not as aggressive uphill as the Leviathan, but eager and highly capable. Even with its long wheelbase (comparable to my XL Bullit w/ Marz Super T) I sit dead center between the wheels. The front end stays PLANTED and tracks straight. I couldn't even do that on my Bullit with a 5" Z1 on it!

Downhill, the Behemoth is laughable. Laughable because that's all I did. I couldn't/can't believe how stable, firm, planted it is. It's incredible.

The RP3 is bob-free. I could perceive ZERO pedal input. The suspension is plush while the Leviathan feels much more firm??

Oh, and to all the haters out there..the White Brothers BW 1.3 is completely and totally AMAZING. It has the EXACT plushness of my Marzocchi's. It is bottomless and progressive and STIFF STIFF STIFF. At this point in the game, 5 flaming chilis on the fork.

From my ride today, it seems the Behemoth could be a highly-capable freeride machine as well as an all-day trail warrior. I plan to exploit both avenues.

Parts List
XXL Lenz Behemoth (Fox RP3)
White Brothers BW 1.3
RF Atlas cranks 180mm (The Path bash guard/32/20 ti)
SRAM X9 front/rear der
SRAM X0 gripshifts
ODI Rogue grip-shift length lock-on grips
Time Atac Z pedals
Thomson post/stem
The Path Bike Shop top cap
Hope clamp
Syntace low-rise bar 27" wide
Cane Creek S-2 headset
Avid Mech's 200mm rotors/Avid Speed Dial 5 levers
RhynoLite/DT Swiss FR (36 hole, straight gauge)
Exiwolf's front/rear (put on by hand, no levers;))
WTB Rocket V saddle (chromo)

weight: 33.25lbs
(fyi: same wheels as the leviathan, and 2lbs heavier...that's it?)

·
climb
2,293 Posts
Padre said:
Oh, and to all the haters out there..the White Brothers BW 1.3 is completely and totally AMAZING. It has the EXACT plushness of my Marzocchi's. It is bottomless and progressive and STIFF STIFF STIFF. At this point in the game, 5 flaming chilis on the fork.
These are some BIG words coming from you Padre.

On my short stint, I really noticed how 'light' the Behemoth pedaled uphill, and how it rode like 'no other bike' I've ever ridden downhill. It's a bike in its own category. The ultimate human-powered trail bike :)...

Thanks for posting, some day my garage might look like yours....

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
Padre said:
Nice. Is the fork the new open bath IMV ('06?), or just works better than the one you were having issues with?

Monte

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Also............

Monte said:
Nice. Is the fork the new open bath IMV ('06?), or just works better than the one you were having issues with?

Monte
How is the RP3 with your weight? I found it hard to adjust on my old bike (non 29er). All of the settings felt the same. Did you consider the DHX?

OH yea........That thing is sa-weeeeeeet :D

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DeeZee said:
How is the RP3 with your weight? I found it hard to adjust on my old bike (non 29er). All of the settings felt the same. Did you consider the DHX?

OH yea........That thing is sa-weeeeeeet :D
Nope...it feels strikingly different than my RP3 on my Leviathan....due to the leverage ratio....feels just like the Romic coil on my Bullit...THAT plush...

Hadn't considered the DHX...this feels so great..I probably wouldn't....

·
This place needs an enema
17,448 Posts
My pleasure--to have led you down the primrose path.

Glad you like it so far. Glad you took the chance. Hope that more people do too--I know of no one that's regretted it. My only regret about the Behemoth is that it cuts into all my Lev time...

Most frequent scenario: a person walks into my shop after hearing about big wheels. They look around, they ask questions, they nod and smile when I offer them a test ride on the Lev. But when I offer a test ride on the 'moth, the smile goes away and they take a step towards the door, briskly dismissing the idea with, "Oh no, I don't need anything like that...

Very few of them have any idea what they're dismissing.

Again, glad you like it.

It's gonna be hard to top the 'moth. Might not be able to--might have to start thinking laterally...

MC

p.s. pretty pooch.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Nice hubs

How do you like those DT hubs? You're rear brake appears a tad fooked.

PS - you're Exis must have broken beads or been taken off more than a few times. That, or you and Giambi shared recipes...:p

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Mike, offer them a long weekend's demo'ing of the Leviathan if they agree on putting merely 5 miles of good trails on the 'Moth first. "just to gather input" on the beast :)

Man, I want one of those so bad! Should degrade all the Nicolai the punks in my club to 2nd rank FR bikes.

Congrats Padre, your riding my dreambike there.

Happy trails as I'm sure you'll have,

J

·