Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Bananas...mmm
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all! If you've got a minute, please allow me to bend your ear for a bit...

I recently purchased a used frame through the mtbr classifieds from a seemingly respected, knowledgeable, and frequent contributor to these forums. I paid immediately through PayPal, and now, nearly two weeks later, the frame has yet to even ship. I have emailed periodically during this period for updates (e.g. "Have you had a chance to ship yet?") only to receive short responses (e.g. “no, thanks for your patience”).

Since I am indeed a patient person (or try to be), I thought I’d just bide my time by prepping for the build and scrounging up the components I’d need. Upon request, the seller sent specs (HT, BB, and ST sizes), and the scavenger hunt began. A few tedious swaps and transactions later, I was done. However, some additional research (it’s a pseudo vintage/retro frame) yielded some conflicting reports on seatpost diameter, so I asked the seller to confirm the spec. He replied that he was wrong (“sorry”) and that he has not shipped yet, to boot. :madman:

Needless to say, I’m a bit frustrated. I have purchased several “big ticket” items through these classifieds and have always received stellar service. I realize that purchasing anything through a private seller has inherent risks, but the integrity of the mtbr community has always been confirmed in my past transactions. I would also like to note that I don't suspect this to be a scam, but rather more a case of an unprofessional seller.

Not sure if I’m looking for a particular response here – perhaps I just want some validation for my frustration, some sage advice to remain patient, some scolding for being a whiner, or just a platform to rant a bit. Or should I request a refund? Expedited shipping? What would you do? Complaining to my wife has not really helped (she’s an admitted hothead in such situations), so your thoughts are welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks to you all, and have a great day. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Well, at least since you paid PayPal you can file a complaint up to 45 days from when you sent payment. I have had to do that a couple times (not through this board) and both times I got my money back quickly. One time someone filed a complaint against me, I sent PayPal the tracking number showing I shipped it (UPS lost it), and they canceled the complaint.

I would just tell him that if he can't give you an exact shipping date (with tracking number) soon you are going to file a complaint against him. Usually just the threat of filing a complaint is enough to get someone moving. Usually I'm a little too nice in these situations and I wait until the last possible minute to file a complaint. I mean, yes, I want the situation remedied, but I really want what I buy, not a refund. So I give them every opportunity to make it right.

If there is some situation preventing him from shipping it, he needs to tell you. In that case things would be different. But in this case, you may want to consider filing a complaint.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
2 weeks is too long

I agree with Cosmo, it's time to turn up the heat. Unless the seller specified that shipping would take some time, then you have every right to expect prompt shipment for what you've paid for. I would send an email stating that you expect to receive notification (including a tracking number) within 72 hours of sending the email that the frame has shipped, or a claim will be filed with PayPal. Ensure them that you don't want this to happen, but that you have given them more than a reasonable amount of time to ship, and they have not fulfilled their obligation.

Bob

·
Bananas...mmm
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I agree

Thanks for thoughts, guys. It's amazing how just sharing your problems can make you feel better...and I agree, I suppose I should turn the screws a bit.

I guess I tend to give sellers the benefit of the doubt until the arguments for becoming more adversarial undeniably outweigh my desire for the item. In this case, I guess I really want the frame (kinda hard to find). I've also had to file complaints through PP, but only for the random eBay seller. For some reason, I feel differently about a private seller who is a contributing member of a community, ie. mtbr. But I do need more of an explanation than "life just doesn't follow a nice schedule" -- his actual reply last week.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
430 Posts
2 weeks is too long

Yes two weeks is too long, I might even report him here on the forum, but again if he has lots of post on here. I am sure people will rush to the defense, but again it is you not getting the item, it is your money not theirs. I would tell him that, I am sure he probably would not care either, but if not here within two days. Myself I would tell paypal.

I believe that a person like this would report you in a second.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Tell him he has two days to ship it or you will report it to paypal and post his name in here. It shouldn't take two weeks to ship something. Two days is more like it since he already has your money. And the other poster is right - if it was you doing this to him he would probably be freaking. People can be so daft sometimes.

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
My opinion is that if someone can take the time to post an ad in the classifieds, they should be able to take the time to box up a frame and take it to Fed Ex, UPS, USPS, etc. Not only that, but when a seller starts to give you attitude for your prompt payment and legitimate questions, thats where I draw the line. Give him no more than 2 days to ship the frame!!! Let him know that YOUR money is in his account and YOU WANT THE FRAME TO BE SHIPPED, NOW!!!!! Its time to remove the white gloves and play in the dirt. Maybe, just maybe, this clown will think twice about doing this to a future buyer.

I could just see the payment method and timeframe on this sellers ebay auction, if he has one:

Payment via Pay Pal due upon completion of auction. Buyer has 24 hours to pay or negative feedback will be given. Upon payment, I will deposit the money in a money market fund and upon reaching 27% returns the product will be shipped.
Thanks for the loan,er, your interest in my auction.:rolleyes:

·
Combat Wombat
1,879 Posts
You have been too nice and this seller is being a serious jackass. Two weeks and "life just doesn't follow a nice schedule"? Whoever the seller is, I wonder if he has the balls to explain this.

Brian

·
Bananas...mmm
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BrianU said:
You have been too nice and this seller is being a serious jackass. Two weeks and "life just doesn't follow a nice schedule"? Whoever the seller is, I wonder if he has the balls to explain this.

Brian
We'll see, Brian. I included a link to this thread in my most recent "shipping request."

Of course, I have begun to wonder if the frame really is in "excellent" condition, as the ad stated. I'd hate to think of the hassle/loss if it ends up being a lemon... :skep:

Thanks again for the replies...

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
You might be on to something...could be the frame is a lemon and he's waiting til the last minute to ship so that you can't get your money back from Paypal. I'd give him two days to send you a valid tracking number or the deal's off.

·
Bananas...mmm
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
DeeEight said:
whats the frame and what did you pay ?
At womble's suggestion, I have deleted the exact make and price paid for the frame. Let's just say it's mid-90s steel for which I paid under $200. I intended to build it up as a fully rigid SS.

DeeEight -- if for some reason you really need to know, feel free to PM me...

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
Unless you intended to disclose the id of the seller, I suggest you edit your last post. A quick search turns up the likely details of the sale.

·
Bananas...mmm
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
womble said:
Unless you intended to disclose the id of the seller, I suggest you edit your last post. A quick search turns up the likely details of the sale.
You're right, of course -- whether the seller's id will be disclosed has yet to be determined. Thanks.

·
mtbr Decade+
1,545 Posts
Put it back in there...

Let's see the face of a deadbeat and recoil! what was it Romeo said, "A curse on all your houses"!

·
Bananas...mmm
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update

Biggie said:
Let's see the face of a deadbeat and recoil! what was it Romeo said, "A curse on all your houses"!
Ha -- I feel ya, Biggie! I do feel a responsibility to warn others who may choose to buy from the seller -- he seems to have lots for sale here. On the other hand, I also want to give him an opportunity to make it right.

The latest: the seller, having read this thread, got back to me with apologies. He promised to try his best to ship within 48hrs. He also acknowledged that the frame probably should have been described as "fair" rather than "excellent." Since he had initially described the flaws and provided several pics, I knew what I was getting (er, supposed to get). And he's offered a refund if I'm not satisfied upon inspection.

I did ask him to consider upgrading the shipping as a show of good faith (if reasonable), to which he replied that he would ship it the fastest method for the $45 fee I paid, but now with a tracking # ("at no additional cost"). I noted to him that I will have wasted an additional $20 in shipping fees swapping out the seatpost (again) since he gave me the wrong size. We all make mistakes, but usually we end up paying for them some way or another.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.