Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my wife just got me on a mountain bike and i'm really enjoying it a lot. i was wonderering what an endurance race is. do you win an endurance race by being able to complete the course only? it would seem that there would naturally have to be a person crossing the the finish line first :confused: . on sunday i biked 29 miles on my kikapu and i only took 2 very short breaks for a drink of water. maybe if it's what i'm thinking it is i'll begin to train for an enduro race. there's one in particular i'm interested in and that's in the desert at terlingua tx this fall, i believe.

·
Too busy looking good
361 Posts
I'll chime in here. Yes, you "win" if you cross the finish line, most definitely. Completing an event is a noteworthy accomplishment if you are new to the sport. As you gain experience, and perhaps do the same events year to year, then your definition of "win" will evolve. Soon, just surviving is not longer the challenge, but you'll set goals for improvements in your own time.

This is the great thing about endurance racing, the culture and environment really allow you to define your own success, and you'll get respect and support for it. Of course, it is a race, and at the core, it's all about crossing the finish line before the next guy. But, all the people I know who are fast enough to make this their goal have enjoyment of the sport and respect for other riders as their first priority.

Welcome to the sport! 29 miles is great - next time make it 35. Then 50, etc. You'll get hooked, I'm sure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply. there's a little town about 25 miles south of here and i think i'll ride over there this week-end possibly. but when it comes to an endurance race wouldn't it all be on trails? i'm biking so many roads i'm starting to wonder if i shoudn't have got a road bike. we do have a state park here with bike trais but it's about 10 miles away and a 3.00 entry fee every time. maybe i'll buy a season pass and bike over there in the evenings. thanks again !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.