Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my attempt to counterbalance the ceaseless rants and whining on this board. I went out for a recovery ride on Monday evening. The flowers are pretty much as good as they get around here. The combination of riding, photography, and wildflowers is one of my favorites.

Flower Plant Terrestrial plant Herbaceous plant Grass

Flower Plant Sky Cloud Herbaceous plant

Flower Plant Plant community Petal Terrestrial plant

Even el mono azul appreciates wildflowers.

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Flower

Back-alley roses. These flowers have attitude.

Flower Plant Botany Petal Pink

Check out them pink thorns.

Insect Arthropod Terrestrial plant Petal Plant

·
amar la vida de dos niner
2,682 Posts
Very nice! Thanks for the purty pictures. I love me some trail-side flowers.

(Oh, wait. Maybe you already heard that about me. ;) )

Just don't run over those rose stems!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Thanks for the photos! One of the things I like about riding in the GJ/Fruita area is being able to stop and "smell the flowers."

Re: the rants & whining - I'm beginning to think that as our economy and culture become more and more stressful and complicated, folks seem to need outlets for their rage. Thank goodness for the web, as "going postal" is not a good alternative. Looks like we'll have to put up with the rants until things improve, or maybe forever. What a thought.

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
Here's a few of an unidentified flower

I sent these pics to a self-described "wildflower freak" at a local Nature center and she's stumped. She then sent these to others in the area but it's still unidentified.

·
crap magnet
572 Posts
xcguy said:
I sent these pics to a self-described "wildflower freak" at a local Nature center and she's stumped. She then sent these to others in the area but it's still unidentified.
I see those all over the local trails here around Santa Fe. I've noticed they also wind their way up the trees vine-like. No idea what they're called though.

Nice shots, EJP. Thanks.

·
Registered
288 Posts
cdaddy said:
I see those all over the local trails here around Santa Fe. I've noticed they also wind their way up the trees vine-like. No idea what they're called though.

Nice shots, EJP. Thanks.
It looks like it's a type of Western Clematis (?) which is part of the Buttercup Family (oh man, this is embarrasing). I have an Audubon Field Guide and the one they show is a little pinker but the description is exact. Some species stay low to the ground, others have vines that grow up and around other vegetation.

ok, I'm gonna go do some push-ups...

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
I think we have a winner!

rubystreet said:
It looks like it's a type of Western Clematis (?) which is part of the Buttercup Family (oh man, this is embarrasing). I have an Audubon Field Guide and the one they show is a little pinker but the description is exact. Some species stay low to the ground, others have vines that grow up and around other vegetation.

ok, I'm gonna go do some push-ups...
Don't beat yourself up too much about knowing your wildflowers, I'm the guy who took the pics! I can stop and smell the roses totally guilt-free on any ride but it's almost impossible to get anyone to join in. Guys still think that's only for the ladies and it was former girlfriends who got me interested.

I checked out Clematis in my Peterson's Field Guide to Rocky Mountain Wildflowers and there is the purple one on Plate 7 #6. I'd checked all these Plates carefully before asking anyone else and just missed it. Thanks.

edit: I saw these on the backside of Centennial Cone, Front Range of Colorado. Never anywhere else which is why they caught my eye.

·
Registered
288 Posts
After spending the last 14 or so years riding in Crested Butte, it's hard not to be in awe of trailside wildflowers. Probably hard for some folks to imagine riding a tight singletrack with thigh-high wildflowers of every color imaginable trying to hide the trail on you, or popping out of the woods into a meadow that's totally purple with Lupine and Larkspur. It's hard to beat.

·
Registered
539 Posts
me too..

I only took 'em cos me mam likes flowers, honest

Attachments

·
amar la vida de dos niner
2,682 Posts
Looks like you made your mam proud! ;)

The shot of all the yellow flowers amongst the small trees is especially nice.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.