Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,470 Posts
Once my Larry shows, I have a tire that's getting the same treatment, but I'm using stainless pop rivets. With the gun firing from the inside I should have a nice, wadded up little head on the outside, add a backer washer to keep it from pulling through as it balls up, and I should be good.

I'll be curious to see how you like the placement. None closer in? I ask, only cause in commercially studded tires, the cheapo commuter versions run them just out on the edge, whereas the more performance versions have some in the main tread area too....

Nice work, how many beers to complete the job?:D

·
Self-defeatist
965 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
Once my Larry shows, I have a tire that's getting the same treatment, but I'm using stainless pop rivets. With the gun firing from the inside I should have a nice, wadded up little head on the outside, add a backer washer to keep it from pulling through as it balls up, and I should be good.
I've thought about that before, too. FWIW, stainless is pretty soft stuff. That's a general statement and I'm no metalurgist, but that's been my general experience. Keep us updated on that project.

BTW, nice work, mplsmtb. I'd imagine the Endo will flatten out enough for both rows to make contact in a straight line, one row in a turn. Should be enough. I checked the blog, but I couldn't tell what kind of beer you used for this project. Details?

·
oh crap...
551 Posts
Google does wonders...here is an options:
http://www.brunowessel.com/studs/index.asp

I'd try to punch holes, insert something sourced from the link, and then either use vulcanized rubber or glue a cut tube into place to keep the studs in place and from cutting into the inflated tube.

Wouldn't be light, but I'd think the studs would last a lot longer than the steel you guys are using...maybe your tires will never see pavement?

·
Bike Fiend
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MendonCycleSmith said:
Nice work, how many beers to complete the job?:D
CLONG said:
I checked the blog, but I couldn't tell what kind of beer you used for this project. Details?
Thanks guys. It was about a 2 beer job.

As SDmfG said, the beer is a Surly Bender. One of my all-time faves. I love the fact that there are companies putting GOOD beer in cans. And it's local to boot. Here is a list of Surly's other beers. No connection to the bike company Surly (other than the name). I'm a Surly fan on two levels...

farmerfrederico said:
...but I'd think the studs would last a lot longer than the steel you guys are using...maybe your tires will never see pavement?
Yup, this tire will rarely ever see pavement. 99.9% snow and ice.

MendonCycleSmith said:
I'll be curious to see how you like the placement. None closer in? I ask, only cause in commercially studded tires, the cheapo commuter versions run them just out on the edge, whereas the more performance versions have some in the main tread area too...
I was thinking along the same lines as CLONG... when the tire flattens there should be plenty of contact between studs and snow/ice. I see that campykid chose the same stud pattern on his studded Endo. If it isn't enough bite, I can add more studs. That's one of the advantages of using latex to cover the screw heads, it makes adding studs easy. Most people around here cut up an old tube and glue it into the tire to cover the screw heads - which would make adding studs later more work.

Wood Hardwood Natural material Wood stain Webbing

·
Bike Fiend
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Test ride pics...

If this were an ice race bike, or I was looking to make sharp turns, a second row of studs would be nice. For cruising along the creek or the lake, they worked great and had more than adequate grip/control.

The first pic shows a front wheel skid...

Watercourse Winter Bank Liquid Reflection

Tire Automotive tire Winter Freezing Rim

Bicycle handlebar Bicycle Bicycle part Groupset Bicycle accessory

Automotive tire Winter Freezing Rim Automotive exterior

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.