Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so this is another one of my sacreligious roadie posts but i figured that there are any number of people who would be able to relate to the inept feeling of dealing with your first flat...

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, October 16, 2006 3:48 PM
To: rt
Subject: tires

"Anything worth doing is worth doing over" Anon.(as far as I know)

'Repitition is the mother of learning." Anon.

A new life experience for your father. I got a flat tire on my bike. Believe it or not, it never happened to me before. anyway I was perhaps a mile from home and pedaled back. Just to be sure I took the wheel off, reinflated it and put it in a tray of water. After about a half rotation I saw the air bubbles rising. (I'm a scientist, you know).

I pulled out the pair of levers and the inner tube that I've been lugging around since I purchased the bike. Never having actually done
this before, it was not surprising to me that it took about a half hour to get the tire off the rim. I replaced the inner tube and got
the tire back on. At this point I noticed the instructions for doing this on the inner tube box and , although relieved that I did it
right, realized I did not make sure THE penetrating fragment was removed. So, I TOOK THE TIRE OFF.

Good thing I did. I found the minute shard and got it out. The tire and inner tube was then replaced on the rim in shorter order than
before, when I went to inflate, it was not possible because the stem was barely long enough to extend thru the rim. Even pulling on it
with a pliers was useless. So, downtown I went and showed it to the guy who told me it was the wrong size inner tube (Many thanks to the
moron at the Cary bike shop). Bought two new ones, went home and TOOK THE TIRE OFF AGAIN.

Once again I reassembled the tire, filled it with air and went out for a now rather chilly ride.

TOTAL TIME ELAPSED in changing a tire: 2 hours 15 minutes

Love,

dad

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2006 10:16 AM
To: dad
Subject: RE: tires

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. As you daughter I'd like you to know that I am laughing at you not with you. :)

At least you were close to home. For my first flat tire I was stuck somewhere out on 54 about 10 miles west of home. I ran over some glass and within 30 seconds was riding on the rim of my back wheel. I pulled off into a gas station and proceded to spend the next 20 minutes wrestling (or perhaps wrasseling?) my tire off the rim. I finally got it off and replaced the tube. No bucket of water for me since I was out in the boonies and wasn't feeling particularly scientific. I then spent another 20 minutes wrasseling the tire back onto the rim. I used a CO2 to inflate the tire and was very proud of myself for having been so self sufficient. Back onto my bike and off I went.

30 seconds later my tire was flat again. Being the scientist that I am, I completely ignored the process of trying to figure out why my tire might go flat again so quickly and I used my second (and last) CO2 cartridge to inflate it. I could actually hear the air leaking out as I inflated the tube.

So there I am, stuck in the boonies with a flat tire and no way to fix it. This was before I learned to carry a cell phone with me so I had no way to call anyone, and I was running late. I stood there wondering how I was going to walk home 10 miles and finally decided my best option was to hitchhike home. 15 cars/pickup trucks must have passed me standing there with my thumb out and not one even slowed down. I guess dressed in lycra I look like a potential axe murdering rapist.

As I stood there debating my nonexistant options 3 cyclists appeared out of the fog (yes, it was foggy). Between the 3 there was an extra tube and CO2. I let someone else struggle with getting the tire on & off the rim and he was actually smart enough to sweep the inside of the tire where he found a rather large shard of glass sticking through (hence the 2nd flat). Within about 6 mintues I was back on my bike and heading home.

Total time elapsed: approximately 90 minutes.

I think it's a right of passage. Welcome to the club.

Love rt

·
Registered
656 Posts
LOL
Nice post!
My dad had been fixing flats for years, so i just watched him and that's how i learned, so no funny stories from me. I have had some bad luck with Specialized tubes though, so one tube change took me about 2 hours and it was still leaky.
Now i have a leaky Kenda toob.

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Raghavan said:
LOL
Nice post!
My dad had been fixing flats for years, so i just watched him and that's how i learned, so no funny stories from me. I have had some bad luck with Specialized tubes though, so one tube change took me about 2 hours and it was still leaky.
Now i have a leaky Kenda toob.
my dad has been riding for years but i guess he's been really lucky. nary a flat. i learned by working in a shop and become proficient at it by racing. depending on how tight the bead is i can now change a flat in under 2 mintues.

i'm partial to the cheap performance mtb tubes & their light weight roadie tubes. sometimes they get a bad batch but for the most part i've had good luck with them.

rt

·
2,856 Posts
Nice! It only took me 100 fixes before I realized that I did not have to take the WHOLE tire off, that I could leave half of it on the rim. Cut my tube change time 90%.

We'll have to add Flat Tire Fixin' to the Battle Royale w/ Cheese if the price is $29.95 (up from a suggested $19.95)

Ed E

·
Yummy
1,262 Posts
So ... I guess you don't want me to describe how I finished second place in a tire change competition this summer?

A minute, nine seconds.:cool:

Kn.

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
edemtbs said:
Nice! It only took me 100 fixes before I realized that I did not have to take the WHOLE tire off, that I could leave half of it on the rim. Cut my tube change time 90%.

We'll have to add Flat Tire Fixin' to the Battle Royale w/ Cheese if the price is $29.95 (up from a suggested $19.95)

Ed E
LOL. i was riding sweep on a ride a couple years ago and got stuck with a guy who took 45 minutes to change a flat. he insisted on taking the entire tire off the rim and then turning it inside out and visually inspecting every square millimeter to be sure there were no foreign objects lodged in the tire. while i appreciated his thoroughness i also looked at the tube and realized that he'd pinch flatted not run over anything. he then put the tire back on the rim, put the tube in, seated the tire, and started to inflate whereupon he discovered there was a hole in the tube. i gave him my tube and some CO2 and he insisted on starting the whole process over again including visually inspecting the *&(^!#% tire! by this time i was considering pushign him and his bike off the nearest cliff. ironically, the guy went by the nickname "Flash" but obviously had not been given this moniker in response to his speed at changing flats!

the Flat Tire Fixin' competition should occur either at the campfire after the pony keg of porter has been emptied or the next morning after everyone has had less than 3 hrs of sleep. this will make the competition far more interesting and possibly worth $34.95.

;)

rt

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
K'Endo said:
So ... I guess you don't want me to describe how I finished second place in a tire change competition this summer?

A minute, nine seconds.:cool:

Kn.
fastest hands in the west, eh?

1:09 is very impressive.

my race changes are always slower than normal due to the adrenalin and high level of irritation at flatting. yeah, that's my story and i'm sticking to it.

rt

·
Yummy
1,262 Posts
*rt* said:
fastest hands in the west, eh?

1:09 is very impressive.

my race changes are always slower than normal due to the adrenalin and high level of irritation at flatting. yeah, that's my story and i'm sticking to it.

rt
heh heh ... nah, second fastest (apparently)!

Kn.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
That's a great story....
I was riding with a buddy last week that has been riding for a little over a year and actually done a couple of triathlons....half way home on our 40 mile ride he flats.
I pull over and look at him and he has this "what do I do now" look. I aks if he's ever changed a flat and he says no, ok, so I show him how to take off the wheel, pull out the old tube, run your hand around the inside of the tire (ouch! - yep a nice shard of glass) and tell him to give me his spare tube.........um, what spare tube?
Ok, fine - forgot your tube, I'll give you my spare....now hand me the CO2 ......um what's that? Never mind just give me your pump....oh wait there's no pump on your bike......crap.....here's my pump you figure out how to fill your own damn tube!!!!!

-rich

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
mtbfool said:
You probably just looked like one of them Friday Night wrastlers. I guess if that were the case you would have gotten picked up a lot quicker down that way. Maybe you just needed a mask?:D
hmm, maybe it was the mask....or the axe strapped to my leg?

rt

·
Registered
455 Posts
Nice! Gotta love your "first time". :p

Kinda brings to mind all the times I had to change tires on my old Sun Rhyno Lite rims... whew!!! Installing/removing tires off of that beast called for bionic thumbs. :madman:

Well.. until I found a tire that actually fit well. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
656 Posts
*rt* said:
my dad has been riding for years but i guess he's been really lucky. nary a flat. i learned by working in a shop and become proficient at it by racing. depending on how tight the bead is i can now change a flat in under 2 mintues.

i'm partial to the cheap performance mtb tubes & their light weight roadie tubes. sometimes they get a bad batch but for the most part i've had good luck with them.

rt
Yeah, i guess i had a couple from a bad batch and i was having a horrible morning that particular day...
One day after riding i had a flat, so i patched it up and i was good to go. However, the next morning, i had to use the bike to go volunteer at the Red Cross. I found out that the same tire ( the back one) was flat AGAIN. AUGH. I pulled it off and found about 7-8 new holes. It turned out that the rear tire was worn down and was really thin, making it easy to get holes in the tube. So i decided not to fix that and i just put it back in and pumped it up.
But then i realized that my front tire was flat too! Cursing, i took it out and patched it up. By now, i was tired, so i went and ate some food and took a break. When i came back, the front was flat yet again, so i guess my halfassed patch job wasn't good enough.
I decided to get out my 2.5 " Specialized tube with a Presta valve and put on the Hookworm i had lying around on the front. I put it on and pumped it up. I was standing around thinking of how awesome it looked on my bike when i noticed that the top half of the presta core was missing. Uh Oh. So i looked into the hole when the bottom half shot out and hit me in the forehead.:madman:
All the air rushed out in a hurry. Yet ANOTHER flat. So i put on the badly patched front tube and tire again, pumped both of the tires up again, and rode the 6 miles to the Red Cross as faster than i ever have before.
It flatted out there again, so i just called my mom for a ride home.:rolleyes:
There's my story of a very 'fun' morning.:madmax: Oh well, live and learn.
:D

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
rzims said:
That's a great story....
I was riding with a buddy last week that has been riding for a little over a year and actually done a couple of triathlons....half way home on our 40 mile ride he flats.
I pull over and look at him and he has this "what do I do now" look. I aks if he's ever changed a flat and he says no, ok, so I show him how to take off the wheel, pull out the old tube, run your hand around the inside of the tire (ouch! - yep a nice shard of glass) and tell him to give me his spare tube.........um, what spare tube?
Ok, fine - forgot your tube, I'll give you my spare....now hand me the CO2 ......um what's that? Never mind just give me your pump....oh wait there's no pump on your bike......crap.....here's my pump you figure out how to fill your own damn tube!!!!!

-rich
hehe. i recently came upon some guys on the trail with a broken chain that they were trying to fix. to their credit they had all the right tools. with the bike on one side of the trail they had the chain off the bike and had taken off the broken links and were trying to put the chain back together...........but not on the bike. :rolleyes: fortunately, when i came upon them they were having trouble aligning the pin to reconnect the chain (no power link). i suggested that the chain would work better if it was on the bike before they made it into a complete circle. :D

for most people it only takes one time out without the right stuff to learn your lesson. :)

rt

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.