Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
P-51 Crew Chief #38
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No not really but he did have a nice pit bike at the Air Races. Astronaut Robert "Hoot" Gibson has flown more types of aircraft than any pilot alive today. Including one 09 V-10. I have know Hoot for a few years now and he has only known me as a warbird mechanic. During a race at Northstar we ran into one another in the day lodge. He was their attending a wedding. I just love the fact that he went around telling other pilots how crazy I was. This coming from a guy that goes from a dead stop to Earth orbit in eight minutes. Yeah I'm the crazy one.

http://www.airspacemag.com/flight-today/The-Man-Whos-Flown-Everything.html

Attachments

·
Registered
412 Posts
Pretty amazing guy! Its all about perspective when it comes to somebody thinking another person is 'crazy.' He started flying at an age before a lot of us started seriously riding bikes so you can see his perspective....impressive though!

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
Is that red plane to the right a glider? I've flown in one of those...and its crazy...and I don't really want to do it again.

·
For The Win
454 Posts
Raptordude said:
Is that red plane to the right a glider? I've flown in one of those...and its crazy...and I don't really want to do it again.
Dude, its got a propeller.

·
P-51 Crew Chief #38
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Raptordude said:
No that is a Cassutt III M Formula 1 racer. One of the race airplanes I crew for at the Reno Air Races. The white one is with the cowling off is the airplane I was Crew chief on last year and that is a Grove GR-7.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
slightly off topic here but how did you get into that form of aviation? the reason im asking is because i work in commercial aviation and trying to get into private sector is almost impossible unless you got experience. anyway you guys should trade for a day or you take him downhilling for a day and he takes you flying if he already hasn't.

·
P-51 Crew Chief #38
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ojai Bicyclist said:
Alright, you can't tease us like that without a good side shot of the bike alone!
Are you calling me a tease? I don't get many pictures of the bike alone.

Photo Credit: WM Smith

Attachments

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
dhtahoe said:
No that is a Cassutt III M Formula 1 racer. One of the race airplanes I crew for at the Reno Air Races. The white one is with the cowling off is the airplane I was Crew chief on last year and that is a Grove GR-7.
Madness.

·
EastBaySteez
4,726 Posts
dhtahoe, if you need any help around the shop in about 5 years let me know.
I leave for A.F. Basic in August as a Heli mechanic cross trained in props. :D

·
P-51 Crew Chief #38
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mfreak said:
slightly off topic here but how did you get into that form of aviation? the reason im asking is because i work in commercial aviation and trying to get into private sector is almost impossible unless you got experience. anyway you guys should trade for a day or you take him downhilling for a day and he takes you flying if he already hasn't.
Well my mom got re-married to a complete jackass when I was about 7. We lived on the back side of Hayward Airport and I would hide at the airport washing airplanes. Out of high school I went to North American Institute of Aviation. Decided after a few years that I wanted to be a pro DH rider. Got cancer in 2001 and that ended that pursuit. At that point I decided I wanted to combine the two. My first job in air racing was installing a wing modification to a very famous airplane called Rare Bear that resulted in a two year win streak. Then went on to a one of a kind P-51 Mustang called Precious Metal. In the middle of race week 2006 a very famous man named Steve Fossett hired me to help build an Absolute Land Speed Record Car. Unless you have been hiding under a rock you all know the tragic end to that. Now I'm just hired to make things go fast.

My advice to you is this. The warbird folks are not retiring from warbirds they are just dieing. Find a local Commemorative Air Force chapter and volunteer a little bit of time. You will learn very quick. These guys all know that if fresh young blood doesn't come into warbirds now they a doomed to become static displays in a museum. They are very willing to teach the right person. Besides you get to work on some really cool s**t.

Attachments

·
old broken downhiller
175 Posts
That guy is standing in front of some HOT-RODS there man. Those are some sweet birds.

Yea, I once had a guy tell me I was crazy for racing DH.

He was a frickin' BULL RIDER for Christ's sake!! You know, a rodeo guy.

He's willing to climb on the back of a 1200 lb. extremely pissed-off animal that has big, sharp horns on it's head, and try to actually ride the damned thing for 8 seconds, and he thought I was crazy!

Go figure...

Sounds like you've got a very interesting job dude. Can you fly a plane yourself, or do you just wrench?

·
P-51 Crew Chief #38
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Big Mike said:
That guy is standing in front of some HOT-RODS there man. Those are some sweet birds.

Yea, I once had a guy tell me I was crazy for racing DH.

He was a frickin' BULL RIDER for Christ's sake!! You know, a rodeo guy.

He's willing to climb on the back of a 1200 lb. extremely pissed-off animal that has big, sharp horns on it's head, and try to actually ride the damned thing for 8 seconds, and he thought I was crazy!

Go figure...

Sounds like you've got a very interesting job dude. Can you fly a plane yourself, or do you just wrench?
I fly also. The only thing about what I do that I hate. Friends die. Last year our sister ship and pilot were lost, and through the last five years I have personally witnessed three race accidents. Losing Steve last year made me rethink life a bit, and that led to me returning to pro DH this year. That guy did amazing things into his 60's. So should I!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts