Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELLO GOOD DAY EVERYBODY;

can i know which year&model of this manitou bike of mine?

looking forward to all of yall responses.

·
Registered
16,153 Posts
Looks like a 1994 Manitou FS.

Suspension looks about right. Do the pedals scrape the ground with each revolution?

·
Registered
16,153 Posts
by any chance do you know how much is th value sir for this bike?
I don't have a numerical value for you. Whatever someone is willing to pay for it?

You'd need to repair the suspension before selling it. The elastomers are missing. I doubt they're available anywhere so it might be irreparable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have a numerical value for you. Whatever someone is willing to pay for it?

You'd need to repair the suspension before selling it. The elastomers are missing. I doubt they're available anywhere so it might be irreparable.
i am not planning to sell it sir. what else is there for me to get it fix other than th elastomers? i got it from my friend's dad as his moving out from singapore. i thought it was some regular bicycle until ride it out and an uncle stopped me and said something. so i was wondering, what is it about. thank you sir for your responses. i appreciate it alot. god bless you sir.

·
Registered
16,153 Posts
i am not planning to sell it sir. what else is there for me to get it fix other than th elastomers? i got it from my friend's dad as his moving out from singapore. i thought it was some regular bicycle until ride it out and an uncle stopped me and said something. so i was wondering, what is it about. thank you sir for your responses. i appreciate it alot. god bless you sir.
I can tell you that back in 1994 that bike was at the high end of bikes. It was one of the more expensive and desirable ones. If I recall correctly, the frame alone cost over $2000 USD, which was more expensive than most complete bikes at the time. It was special.

If you're planning on riding it only on the street then you might be able to fill the suspension with something solid, like wood dowels or something, just to extend it to full length. It wouldn't move up and down like it was designed though. I don't know how you would fix the suspension so that it works again. You'll have to get creative. Coil springs would let it move up and down but it would bounce up and down uncontrollably.

·
Administrator
10,847 Posts
HELLO GOOD DAY EVERYBODY;

can i know which year&model of this manitou bike of mine?

looking forward to all of yall responses.
View attachment 1934155
This falls into the realm of vintage mountain bike history. I am going to send this to the Vintage forum, they will have more information that might be helpful!

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
That is a highly collectable bike. They are also notorious for cracking (heat treating at that time wasn't as good as it is now).
If you have an uncracked frame, it would be worth quite a bit. I would seriously consider NOT riding it and either keeping it as wall art, or talking to some people who are into the Vintage bike scene regarding value and sales options.

Here's a DH version on ebay:

You may be able to get the elastomers from this place

·
Registered
16,153 Posts
Contact Suspension Fork Parts, they might have the correct elastomers for it.

Nice find.
These are the ones you need:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is a highly collectable bike. They are also notorious for cracking (heat treating at that time wasn't as good as it is now).
If you have an uncracked frame, it would be worth quite a bit. I would seriously consider NOT riding it and either keeping it as wall art, or talking to some people who are into the Vintage bike scene regarding value and sales options.

[/URL]

·
Registered
16,153 Posts

$4999! Dayammmm…

·
Administrator
10,847 Posts

This is an even earlier version. Might be a Bradbury built one. It has the super large seatpost and looks quite handmade. The VRC folks here, once they emerge from their slumber, should have better input than my foggy recollection of that time.

·
Administrator
10,847 Posts
so i assume is not advisable for me to ride it?
I would avoid it unless you can get it repair but considering its rarity and the fact that it looks like it might have an original XTR groupset on it, I would put this into the vintage collector category and either get parts to restore it and hang it on the wall or sell it to a collector.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
And there it is. :(

Your best bet is to try to sell it for parts to someone that has one (could be tough to find that person), or maybe there's a bike shop near you that would want it as decoration and maybe trade towards a rideable bike. Not fixable IME, but still too cool to throw away.

Reactions: stripes

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
😱😱😱😱 youre kidding?
LIke I said, uncracked ones are worth big dough, since pretty much all of them cracked.

I wanted the hardtail version like crazy back when they first came out.
Kind of glad I couldn't afford one, because they didn't hold up.

·
Administrator
10,847 Posts
LIke I said, uncracked ones are worth big dough, since pretty much all of them cracked.

I wanted the hardtail version like crazy back when they first came out.
Kind of glad I couldn't afford one, because they didn't hold up.
I was the same. I think somewhere I have an old brochure for their bikes from pre suspension era but I ended up with a Mantis bike, thankfully(?). Of course my body decided I needed to grow a couple more inches and so it never fit right. I proceeded to go through many of the other 90's fully breakable bike bits until I settled on bikes that didn't break.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts