Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For some time I've wanted to organize an Alleycat to raise funds for The Bike Messenge Emergency Fund. I'm thinking scavenger hunt format around Fur Rondy. Bars downtown and mid-town for check points. Two catagories to win in. The first Time, who can hit all the check points, do the minimum for each the fastest. For those who prefer racing to partying. The second Points. For those who prefer to party. For example one could get bonus points at Darwin's for buying a round of hot shots or geting a free T-shirt. It should end at a party Problem is I'm forty and semi-married meaning we haven't done the actual paperwork but......... This means going to bars to set thing up takes more time and energy then I have. I need help. Normaly I'd turn to my fellow bike messengers but as far as I know, I'm it. So I'm turning to the hardcore Anchorage winter-riders. Feel free to P M me if you want to help. BTW the link below is for the emegency fund.
Kirk R. Dungan

http://www.bicyclemessenger.com/index.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Aw c'mon it'll be fun!

It'll raise money for a cause helping injured bike messengers all over the planet. Scary winter urban stuff drinks a party. If you don't want to get directly involved throw some ideas for check points, think downtown and Spenard. Fellow married types you can tell 'em its a bike race to raise money for a good cause and leave out the bar hoping part because afterall you don' "have" to drink to win. It'll be fun, help a brother out.
http://www.bicyclemessenger.com/index.html
 

·
HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
Joined
·
923 Posts
Could be fun

Never participated in a real alleycat...heres an idea for a checkpoint:

Ride to Palmer and give Mitch Lewis a smack upside the head with a U-Lock (see timwoody's post on the SUV hit&run)

Is it warmer during Rondy? When is it anyway? I'll be heading back to PA sometime between March-April for a few weeks to a month.

I'd be interested in some alleycats during the summer...we could get points for running over tourists :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A dam fine idea but....

daveIT said:
Never participated in a real alleycat...heres an idea for a checkpoint:

Ride to Palmer and give Mitch Lewis a smack upside the head with a U-Lock (see timwoody's post on the SUV hit&run)

Is it warmer during Rondy? When is it anyway? I'll be heading back to PA sometime between March-April for a few weeks to a month.

I'd be interested in some alleycats during the summer...we could get points for running over tourists :D
Well, Dave as much as I like the idea of using the M. F'ers ( not sure if real profanity is allowed or I'd use it) head for a piniata there are leagal issues and Downtown to Palmer is a bit far, the bigger problem. As far as it being warmer durring Rondy lately yes. It's Anchorage winter babe, every day is anything can happen day. It happens sometime next month. I'm a life-long Alaskan but I keep forgeting the dates of the thing. I think I'm blocking it out. Remember I work downtown it's traumatic for me
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hate to bring it up again.

Help me and I'll split the pot with your pet non-profit. The Anchorage winter biker need a raucus good time. Hopefully I'll make the next frigid bits as I herd they switched it to evenings. I keep geting lured back to bed in the afternoons.
 

·
ABC Rec Div / STA Trails
Joined
·
287 Posts
Better have a permit or A.P.D. will squash ya.. lol

Kirk-frm-Hell said:
For some time I've wanted to organize an Alleycat to raise funds for The Bike Messenge Emergency Fund. I'm thinking scavenger hunt format around Fur Rondy. Bars downtown and mid-town for check points.
I can honestly say I haven't ever seen a bike messenger in Anchorage myself. But hey.. what ever gets your goat and sounds fun though.. just better let A.P.D. know about it though or they will shut down downtown and call in the Riot Police if you have a gathering of more than 8 people without a permit like they did a couple years ago and chased improperly dressed teenagers without jackets through the cold winter night.. but that is another issue in itself. I say 8 people as last I checked any gather of more than 8 people can be considered a riot.

There is hope for you though.. become an 'official Fur Rondy Event' here.

Fur Rondy is Feb 17 through March 8th. Strangely enough there is no 'Fur Ball' on event schedule this year.

Christopher
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
crsouser said:
I can honestly say I haven't ever seen a bike messenger in Anchorage myself. But hey.. what ever gets your goat and sounds fun though.. just better let A.P.D. know about it though or they will shut down downtown and call in the Riot Police if you have a gathering of more than 8 people without a permit like they did a couple years ago and chased improperly dressed teenagers without jackets through the cold winter night.. but that is another issue in itself. I say 8 people as last I checked any gather of more than 8 people can be considered a riot.

There is hope for you though.. become an 'official Fur Rondy Event' here.

Fur Rondy is Feb 17 through March 8th. Strangely enough there is no 'Fur Ball' on event schedule this year.

Christopher
That's because you haven't met me. There have been few year-round bike messengers in Anchorage. If you got the urge to buy all of us a drink at Darwin's you could do it with a tweenty and still leave a decent tip. As for "The Man" that's why we call it a "scavenger hunt" if we called it a race they'd want permits, insurance and a closed course, I've done closed course races, not as much fun as live traffic. I'll run it by a couple people before we put flyers out so there aren't any surprises These things should be semi-underground.
 

·
ABC Rec Div / STA Trails
Joined
·
287 Posts
Frozen Messengers..

Kirk-frm-Hell said:
That's because you haven't met me. There have been few year-round bike messengers in Anchorage.
..... These things should be semi-underground.
Cool.. nice to know there is a few..

And yeah.. I have seen the alleycat videos of the Alleycat races that I think take place in Boston where you go from location to location to find the next check point.. usually tagging onto vehicles... sometimes down frozen rivers.. etc. Cool though..

Christopher
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top